Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: So long and thanks for all the fish  (Read 3653 times)

Offline Art:543

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2020, 12:28:42 PM »
A GS indeed,
Thanks for the advice Simon
We are restricted in riding roads here in Victoria, for other reasons
Bushfires bloody awful
Cheers mate

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2019 R1250GS TE
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2020, 01:06:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
But, it's a GS...... :164:

I knew Id get some stick for that!  :008:

In truth, only 300 miles in, my off-roading foo is too weak to risk my investment when its so slippery out there. I dont even have any cylinder protection onboard yet, though will remedy that this afternoon.

Ironically, it dried up a bit yesterday and I would have been happy to go out... but instead I spent the day buying riding gear for SWMBO so she can start coming out with me as a pillion and maybe get her own bike.

*Originally Posted by Art:543 [+]
A GS indeed,
Thanks for the advice Simon
We are restricted in riding roads here in Victoria, for other reasons
Bushfires bloody awful
Cheers mate

Art, those bushfires are an absolute tragedy. I hope all our members in Aus are safe.

• S1000R Member
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2020, 01:29:05 PM »
Good man
Hope the weather stays good for two touring
I am off for a short trip in 2 days forest roads to the Great Ocean road about 200 kms of bends before the mandatory beer steaks and drivel that my mates and I have become fond of...
Cheers Simon
If I can I will try to get a rack on in the next day or so  :027:

Offline DutchieS1000R

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R Black '15
  • City / Town: Noord-Brabant
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2020, 01:49:33 PM »
I constructed my own frame [stainless steel] and use the back rack from Ventura. Works a charm for me, quickly on and off and when traveling not needing the back rack I remove it.

• S1000R Member
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2020, 02:00:58 PM »
Nice work Duchie

Offline teanau

• S1000R Member
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2020, 03:37:01 AM »
How is the GS working out?
I rented a RnineT ( how ever the hell they spell it!? ) and to be honest was really delighted to have my skr back afterwards.
Everything felt soft and vague ( brakes / suspension ) gear changes werent as "neat" torge was pretty good, it felt good rolling on from lugging the engine, but not enough to tolerate the top end. 
It honestly felt like a vehicle from a completely different era.
I guess life is a gradial transition from >6krpm  to <6krpm, im not there yet.
Interested in your thoughts now its warming up, assuming you got in some riding before we all became hermits.

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2020, 09:03:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by teanau [+]
How is the GS working out?

Hi teanau, I'm still enjoying life with the GS, though it's on hold for now due to the lockdown.  I'd just got the GS up to the 600 miles required for the break-in service but that's been cancelled until my dealership re-opens.

I've really enjoyed riding it so far, but it is a very different proposition from the R and IL4s in general. To be honest, while I'm on a 5K rev limit and no WOT allowed, it's hard to comment on outright performance or how the engine characteristics differ at the top end or even how much fun it really is to ride "progressively". I do remember from my test ride (October 2019) that it was more about the bottom end and mid-range though - and there is plenty of that on offer.

The bottom end is amazingly smooth. It likes you to lope along at 2K rpm, which still feels strange to an ex-IL4 guy and I find myself needing to be in a gear or two higher than I expect for a given speed. Totally different to, say the KTM SDGT, which really lets you know it's a big twin at anything less than 4K rpm (lumpier than school custard).

The handling is surprisingly good for such a big bike, no doubt aided by having really wide bars to give you plenty of leverage. I'd say the R would easily best it in tight corners, but the GS would have a good go at holding its own in the sweepers until speeds became silly. The A41 tyres it came on have a definite road bias. The telelever /paralever set up doesn't feel all that different to conventional suspension, though maybe there's a bit less dive at the front under braking.

Speaking of which, the brakes on the GS are not quite as effective as they are on the R. Whether this is due to the much-criticised switch from Brembos to Hayes or whether it's just the extra 35kg making it's presence felt, I don't know. They're certainly not bad, but the R is definitely better.

The ESA on the GS gives a smoother and more compliant ride than I had from the DDC on my R. It's also self-adjusting, so I don't have to do anything to switch between solo and two-up riding. On undulating roads, it feels like it might benefit from a touch more damping at the rear when riding two-up but it's not a big deal. The only downside is that the ESA doesn't immediately reduce the preload when your pillion dismounts, which can leave the rider struggling to reach the ground (was interesting finding that out on my first two-up ride).

From a practical point of view, it's very comfortable with excellent all round visibility due to the riding position and well spaced, vibe free mirrors. Adjustable levers both sides as standard. Having a standard power socket (also used for trickle charging) is great.  The heated grips are way better than those on the R. I added an aftermarket screen to smooth the airflow around the very top of my helmet and also hand guard extenders to keep the elements off my hands. The wheels throw a lot of water around, so I added a a fender extender and a hugger. The TFT dash / connectivity / sat nav / whizz wheel give great functionality and easy access. The Connected app lets you replay your ride with stats when you get home (sounds kind of geeky, but interesting to see how you really ride). The pillion accommodation is the best the missus has ever had, though she hasn't mastered getting on and off such a tall bike with grace yet. The gear shifter was causing some wear on my left boot, so I added an extender and problem solved. The GS isn't really a bike that inspires a lot of aesthetic modification in the way the R does.

Anyway TL;DR. Life with the GS is good so far and I'm really hoping I'll still be able to get to know it better during a trip to Spain and Portugal that I have planned for September  :305:

Offline teanau

• S1000R Member
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2020, 04:23:55 PM »
Nice, sounds like a great fit.
And sounds like it's a night and day different bike than the RnineT.

Thanks for taking the time to write that up. 
The active suspension sounds really interesting.

• S1000R Member
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2020, 12:20:43 PM »
Hi Simon , sounds like it is going swimmingly...
I am just wondering how tall are you and if you needed to make seating adjustment, I rode my mates 1150GS a while ago and I'm 5 feet 7 inches, I must say a bit tall for me.
Art  :087:

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2020, 12:38:13 PM »
Hi Art,

Height is an issue for me too... Im about 5 9 but my inside leg is just a paltry 28-29 inches. I have the low seat option fitted and set at the lowest position. I didnt go for the factory low suspension option. Thats enough for me, but I cant get more than the balls of my feet on the ground. Swinging my leg over the bike also requires a bit of care. It does mean that my stops arent all that elegant (it would be nice to be able to heel-toe) but no problems once Im on and moving.

Recent Posts/Topics