Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: So long and thanks for all the fish  (Read 3654 times)

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2019 R1250GS TE
  • City / Town: Somerset
So long and thanks for all the fish
« on: October 24, 2019, 09:27:24 PM »
So, after just over 4 years of ownership, I've decided to move on from my much-loved 2015 S1000R.  It has, quite simply, given me the most smiles per mile of any bike I've owned so far.  It has given me much fun on the mountain roads of the Austrian Alps, the Pyrenees and the Dolomites and never missed a beat.  There were only a couple of notable issues in 15,000 miles - faulty LH switchgear and disappearing coolant - both fixed under warranty.

However, I've had a hankering to ride something different for a while for a few reasons.  Aside from the CG125 that I learned to ride on, it's been IL4s all the way. SWMBO would like to start riding pillion again. I find myself riding with a range of different people who aren't so focussed on speed and performance.  My left elbow has been giving me grief.

I tried a Super Duke GT a few weeks ago and was generally impressed with the bike.  The low end lumpiness wasn't great but the poor experience I had with two different dealers really put me off.  Then, an ex-S1000R owning friend at work mentioned that he was currently riding a GS and told me I might be surprised if I tried one. Now, the GS has never been on my radar, but I figured a boxer twin is very different from an IL4, the pillion perch would be much more comfortable for her indoors and it wouldn't feel like such a caged beast when I'm out with other riding friends... so what the hell?

So, last weekend, I took a 1250 GS out for a test ride.  I'm a bit of a shorty, but the dealer was quite happy to pop the low seat on the demo bike which let me flat-foot it. It felt massively alien at first, but I gave it a good 100 miles of Welsh A and B roads and a stint on the M5 motorway.  For sure it isn't a sports bike, but it has a huge amount of torque and can still get a wriggle on.  It's also undeniably a heavy bike, but this is much less apparent on the move.  I didn't expect 3rd gear overtakes in Dynamic mode to have the front wheel skipping off the road. And that, as they say, was that.  Part ex agreed, deposit put down and hopefully a brand new 1250 GS will be delivered on my birthday in December.

I've really enjoyed being a member of this forum, it's been great to be part of the s1000r.co.uk community. I'll most likely continue to lurk here to keep in touch with all things R-related. In the meantime, I'll be posting a few goodies for sale as I de-mod my bike ready for the trade in.  Happy riding to you all!

Online zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 09:32:15 PM »
While the GS is way too heavy for my liking, it's by all accounts one of the most capable all-rounders there is. 

Enjoy the ride!

Offline nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 09:50:25 PM »
Youve provided some really invaluable experience and advice here - good luck with the bike - a riding pal had the 1200 RS and has just bought a GS1250 for exactly the same touring and passenger reasons  - enjoy !

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 10:29:47 PM »
Congratulations on the purchase! Hoping you will be enjoying many new experiences and fun on your new GS :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 10:30:21 PM by windyrun »

Offline VARRAKK

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R '18
  • City / Town: Malm
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 11:19:00 AM »
It is certainly not a downgrade, just a different style.

I have long been wanting an Adventure bike for myself.
Got my eyes on the Africa Twin, but it will be an addition to my stable, not a replacement.

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Pro
  • any day on 2 wheels is a good day
  • Bike: 18 S1KR
  • City / Town: Montreal
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 12:30:42 PM »
Too many great bikes, not enough money or space to cater to all my riding whims! Enjoy the transition to the GS. I'm sure it won't disappoint. Ride safe.

Offline MarketSquareHero

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Lancashire
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 05:17:26 PM »
Hope it's good for you mate.
I did the same about 5 years back,CB1000R to a GS Adv.Big mistake,only had it 5 months and traded it for the S1000R.
Not knocking the bike, it just wasn't for me
Most people love them.

Offline beech

• S1000R Master
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $50
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 05:54:35 PM »
All the best with the new bike. Nice to have the pillion used. Among the group of friends I ride with a GS1250 and two R1250RS bikes have been purchased in the past few months. The RS only weighs 530 lbs. and with the low seat fits almost anyone in that zone. But... I've had a couple of GS bikes, but the new one with the self leveling suspension and other goodies will be a treat.
Go here and start to make the change. some of the posts are a little snarky.
https://advrider.com/f/forums/gs-boxers.3/

Offline subs_p

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 15 S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 07:41:55 PM »
Ive only been riding a few years and its always been either a 125cc two stroke or an IL4...recently bought an XSR900 on behalf of a friend and was blown away by the three stroke engine, very nice mixture of the torque of a two cylinder and the stability of an IL4..not too bad on fuel either! Seriously considering trading my Honda in for an MT09 at some point in the future once Ive clocked up 100k on it. I used to have a GSXR which I got rid of because sitting on it gave me terrible shoulder, back, and neck pain. Tried a Vulcan at one point, which gave me terrible lower back pain! Test rode an XR once...couldnt get my short legs on the ground at any point without pretty much hanging off the bike, it was hilariously dangerous..but they all did teach me to stick to nakeds! Whatever bike is comfy and serves your needs at any time is the perfect bike.
CBF600N8 daily commuter
S1000R for sunny days

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 09:05:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by subs_p [+]
Ive only been riding a few years and its always been either a 125cc two stroke or an IL4...recently bought an XSR900 on behalf of a friend and was blown away by the three stroke engine, very nice mixture of the torque of a two cylinder and the stability of an IL4..not too bad on fuel either! Seriously considering trading my Honda in for an MT09 at some point in the future once Ive clocked up 100k on it. I used to have a GSXR which I got rid of because sitting on it gave me terrible shoulder, back, and neck pain. Tried a Vulcan at one point, which gave me terrible lower back pain! Test rode an XR once...couldnt get my short legs on the ground at any point without pretty much hanging off the bike, it was hilariously dangerous..but they all did teach me to stick to nakeds! Whatever bike is comfy and serves your needs at any time is the perfect bike.

not to be pedantic, but huge difference between 2-stroke and 2 cylinders.  :164:

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor