Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: How much brake fluid do I need?  (Read 265 times)

Offline dude0552

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R
  • City / Town: SF
How much brake fluid do I need?
« on: October 09, 2019, 08:26:39 AM »
Hi y'all. I bought the S1000R in April - have been having a blast. I'm going to change my brake fluid for the first time. I have a couple of noob questions I couldn't find answers to on the site:

1) I don't quite understand the difference between changing brake fluid and bleeding the brakes. The Haynes manual provides different instructions for each. My impression is that changing the brake fluid is easier and sufficient for scheduled maintenance purposes. Can you confirm that is all I need to do?

2) I bought the bike used off a guy so I don't know when the brake fluid was last changed. Looking in the reservoir it looks light in color. Is that enough to verify that the fluid is fine? I wouldn't want to do any unnecessary work, but if it's ambiguous then I'd rather be safe than sorry.

3) I'm planning on resetting the service reminder using an OBDLink LX and the Motoscan app. Can anyone confirm that the app supports ABS cycling? Is that even relevant if I am indeed changing the fluid and not flushing?

4) How much fluid should I buy for both the front and back systems? Would a 500mL container be enough?

Thanks for your help!

Online zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
Re: How much brake fluid do I need?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 10:49:57 AM »
1) Changing brake fluid is exactly that, changing the fluid. Bleeding the brake system is getting any air that is trapped out of the brake lines OUT of the system. If you change the fluid, you will likely need to bleed the brakes afterwards.

2) Depending on the fluid used, you want the fluid to be clear and light in colour, you didn't mention how old the bike is, but the fluid is likely fine unless it's done a bunch of track days, IMO.

3) While I'm a firm proponent of Motoscan+OBDLink for resetting service minders, I do not believe that setup will cycle the ABS pump.

4) 500ml should be more than enough to do your bike.

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 05:19:34 PM »
I just replaced the brake fluid in my XR(whilst slightly longer lines, that will not make a huge difference). I started with an empty system (I replaced the mc, lines, etc. 'Cos I could). I reckon I got the system full with about 200ml-250ml fresh fluid. I flushed the ABS(using GS911) with the rest of the bottle.

Being a little anal, and it being my first time and having a completely empty system, I used another 500ml to reflush the entire system (including ABS/GS911 procedure).

So, bottom line, to flush old fluid out being replaced by new fluid, a 500ml bottle should suffice. An, AFAIK, if you ahve not replaced any components you do not need to run the ABS program(but I guess bear in mind there will be old fluid in there, but it won't have been exposed)

Offline beech

• S1000R Master
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $50
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 10:59:49 PM »
When you do this job notice that the line attaches to the fitting that also has a bleed nipple. You can see that the fluid can make a short circuit right out that nipple without going through the piston cavities. On the initial portion of the bleed you need to push back those brake pads to push the pistons back. Don't overflow the reservoir, I also remove most of the old fluid in the reservoir before adding fresh stuff to start the process. Use good brand name DOT 4, some are much better than others due to the higher boiling point dry and even with a little water that accumulates over time. The OEM DVD will show you how or a good video somewhere. I have a couple of piston retractor devices that I use for the first part of the flush. When I'm confident there is new fluid in the system, I remove the push back tools and put the caliper back on the bike and let the caliper fill up and then a little more flushing. I have never found air trapped while doing a brake fluid change. But all bets are off if you let the reservoir go dry or your installing a new hose or caliper. Then you really should do a careful flush including actuating the ABS and the subsequent bleed again.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 11:02:02 PM by beech »

Offline dude0552

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R
  • City / Town: SF
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 07:51:54 AM »
Thank you all for your help

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor