Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Brake pedal low  (Read 904 times)

Offline Sunchaser

• S1000R Pro
  • City / Town: Largo, Florida
Brake pedal low
« on: October 08, 2019, 04:37:33 PM »
My rear break pedal is suddenly way low.  It will still apply some force, but way down at the end of the stroke.  Reservoir is low, but above the min line.

Bike is a 2016, 6,500 miles, always garaged, never down or abused.  TIA for thoughts...
2016 BMW S1000R, I likes 'em naked.
"BMW - The Ultimate Driving Riding Machine!"

I am NOT a Biker, nor a Hooligan, Im a Motorcyclist.

Offline starpower

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: '14 S1KR, ZeroS
  • City / Town: Potter Valley
Re: Brake pedal low
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 04:53:17 PM »
I would top off the res. for starters, check pads (would be odd at this mileage). Past that it could be a bad seal.
"The most beautiful things in the world are those from which all excess weight has been eliminated" - Henry Ford I, 1893

Offline Sunchaser

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 08:59:56 PM »
Topping off will be the first thing I do, as soon as I get my jacks out from under my sons Fireblade.  Hes replacing his tires and my garage is a mess.

I have a 911 and will review any error codes etc. too.

Thanks

Offline Sunchaser

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 07:45:23 PM »
Also, while up on the jack, the front lever had no effect while the wheel was spinning and lever applied.

Turns out the fluid level was plenty high, but ugh!  Brake fluid very dark and ugly.

Drained the reservoir and removed the cylinder.  Researching what to do while waiting for a Haynes manual.   Must be a rotted seal or something in the cylinder.  Kinda disappointing, never had a rear cylinder issue in 50 years of riding.

Offline starpower

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: '14 S1KR, ZeroS
  • City / Town: Potter Valley
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 04:27:57 PM »
It is amazing that the fluid could get that contaminated in just 6500 miles. A disintegrated seal?
"The most beautiful things in the world are those from which all excess weight has been eliminated" - Henry Ford I, 1893

Offline Swampwhore

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R
  • City / Town: Stuck in the mud
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 09:13:20 PM »
I just had the same issue. Flushed with new fluid and now all is good.  I think the humidity in Florida is part of the problem. Usually the front brake lever goes soft on me before the rear. A quick bleed at the master cylinder fixes it, but shortly after I start noticing water droplets in the reservoir (I have a clear Rizoma reservoir).  If I just do a manual bleed I get maybe 6-8 months before I get a soft lever. A full flush per the manual using the GS-911WIFI gets me about a year before things get spongy again.  I have two other bikes I use regularly and I havent touched the brakes on either of them in several years with no issues.  (Guess I should flush both of them this weekend)  Just the R gives me issues.
Twist the right grip until you see G*d....then back off...just a little bit.

Offline Sunchaser

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 09:49:08 PM »
Thanks for the input. 

Flushing and reloading is basically my starting plan.  That rear reservoir is impossible to access, someone at BMW needs to go back to design school.  Always fun learning a new bike.

You ever get West to the coast, look me up.

Offline Swampwhore

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R
  • City / Town: Stuck in the mud
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 12:54:38 PM »
I take out the bolt holding the reservoir in place, pull it out, then tie it to the frame when I bleed. 

I got to thinking about it, and I have been using high dollar Motul fluid in the BMW.  In mother bikes, car, truck, I use whatever is cheap at the parts store.  I'm guessing the Motul (higher temp) is more likely to attract water than the other stuff.  Next time I flush, I'm going to give theater stuff a shot and see if it buys more time for me.  I probably don't get the brakes anywhere near hot enough for it to matter most of the time.
Twist the right grip until you see G*d....then back off...just a little bit.

Offline Sunchaser

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 04:10:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by Swampwhore [+]
I take out the bolt holding the reservoir in place, pull it out, then tie it to the frame when I bleed. 

Presactly what I had planned to do.  Good to know it works.  My average speed is about 18mph since I dont stray too far from the beach anymore, so I dont worry too much about fluid temps.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 04:15:40 PM by Sunchaser »

Offline beech

• S1000R Master
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $50
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 06:18:50 AM »
SC, one of the guys above hit it, the high humidity in your location contaminated your fluid. I suggest you change it annually. Even though you only had 6500 miles, you have 3 years on that stuff, way past due. Now change the front. Don't forget to press the pucks back to allow for fresh fluid to go in there. You can see the brake line has the bleed nipple on top and it is a straight bypass if you don't follow the shop procedure.

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor