Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Sad day today. Good day tomorrow!  (Read 834 times)

Offline Purplehayz

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: '15 S1000R
  • City / Town: Columbus, Ohio
Sad day today. Good day tomorrow!
« on: October 07, 2019, 06:51:07 PM »
Well, today is my last day with the s1000r. The day after I got home from another Amazing trip in the Smokies was one hell of a day. I washed and dried my beloved bike, since it had just done a 2300 mile trip and taken such good care of me. About an hour after putting it away in the garage all shiny and perfect and saying to myself "like nothing even happened." It caught on fire under the seat and almost burnt my house down!!! Don't know the exact cause, but the key wasn't even in it, so I didn't leave it on or run it after getting cleaned. The battery is my best guess that it shorted out and caught on fire. I smelled smoke from inside and when I opened the garage door it came billowing out and I saw the tail on fire. So I grabbed it as fast as I could and rolled it away from the house, grabbed the hose and put it out as quickly as possible. Overall, super lucky nothing serious happened. Just time to move on I guess. Insurance took care of me and I found a Super Duke for a good deal that I will be picking up tomorrow. Bought the BMW for my bday August 2018 w under 5k on it, and put it away for the last time w over 21k. To say the least, we had a good time together! Leftover parts I pulled off the bike are for sale in the classifieds for anyone wanting cheap stuff for their ride. Cheers

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
Re: Sad day today. Good day tomorrow!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 07:43:35 PM »
Lucky escape there mate...Didn't have the battery on charge did you?

My friends Busa reg/rec gave up while connected to a trickle charger 24/7 and he also caught it just in time.

Good luck with the new wheels...

Offline Purplehayz

• S1000R Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 07:48:28 PM »
No. Wasn't on the charger. But, it was a shorei lithium w/a lead coming off it for easy access under the passenger seat.

Online zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 08:52:47 PM »
My guess would be water from the wash you gave it got somewhere it shouldn't, but who knows for sure...

Enjoy the SDR, I seriously wanted one until I sat on it lol.

Offline Purplehayz

• S1000R Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 09:09:15 PM »
Yeah, who knows for sure. I have never imagined something like that ever happening. I've always been pretty particular when cleaning the bikes I've owned, like not spraying electrical as much as possible. Blow dry them w a leaf blower when I'm done, then polish up anything that needs it. Maybe it was the battery charge lead that got wet and started shorting out the battery. I didn't even have keys in it, so it's not like anything should have been hot. I'll never know.

Online zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 10:04:03 PM »
One other possibility could be due to the style of battery if the casing was damaged somehow... Lithium does not react well to water.

Offline Purplehayz

• S1000R Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 10:07:38 PM »
Makes sense. Maybe it got damaged somehow on the trip. It's not like it hadn't been in some rain or been washed before.

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2015 S1000RS
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 10:32:27 PM »
Man, that is a lousy way to end your time with the R. Glad you were able to avoid any further loss though. Good luck with the SD, hope you enjoy the new ride. It would be interesting to hear what you think of the SD compared to the R when you have a few miles under your belt.

Offline Purplehayz

• S1000R Member
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 10:39:18 PM »
Yeah it was definitely not how I thought I would end my vacation. I'd be happy to share some thoughts about the SD after I put down some miles on it. I'm sure it will be quite a different experience and hopefully it will be something I enjoy as much as I did the s1kr. I've never owned a big twin before, but I do like it more than the tuono and fz10, which are obviously the others high on the list. Sort of wanted to buy a Ducati Diavel, Multisrada, or triumph tiger, but I can't get away from super nakeds untill I try out the Duke.

Offline subs_p

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 15 S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 12:16:47 PM »
Really sorry to hear that - if youd been in the UK Idve bought most of your parts
CBF600N8 daily commuter
S1000R for sunny days

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor