Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Prospective Owner  (Read 788 times)

Offline g0fwk

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: Aprilia Shiver
  • City / Town: Stockport
Prospective Owner
« on: September 29, 2019, 07:48:13 PM »
Hi all

Im Mark from Stockport in the North West of England.

Currently have 3 bikes including a 74 Norton Commando, 79 Honda CBX1000 and a New Aprilia Shiver 900.

Considering a 1000r or maybe a Tuono 1100 to replace the Shiver, as its my first modern bike but think I need a bit more!!! now Im used to the modern stuff!

Im a bit anal when looking for bike or cars and tend to go a bit mental when doing my research.

Cheers for reading this (if you do)

Mark

Offline Airsafari87

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Durham
Re: Prospective Owner
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 08:30:41 PM »
Welcome Mark from another Mark.

To be honest, whichever of those 2 bikes you end up buying you will have one hell of a replacement for the Shiver.

Offline Mark_62

• S1000R Member
  • City / Town: Shepherdsville
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 11:08:38 AM »
g0fwk,

Good luck with the decision process! I rode an 1100 Aprilla before purchasing my BMW. It came down to ergonomics for me, the BMW just fit better. Ether one is a good choice though. You caught my attention with your older bikes. Some old flames for me as well! Especially the CBX.

Again, good luck with your decision!!

Offline Chinook

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R 18 sport
  • City / Town: Cheshire
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 12:44:01 PM »
I was in same boat deciding between the Tuno and BMW. I think I was a bit disappointed about the tuno because of all the fantastic reviews it gets. I found the angle of the tank dug into my legs which Ive noticed other journalists mention now but brush it under the carpet. That standard exhaust really kills the V4 engine noise and limited to akra exhausts and then fit a race map to comply with Aprilia warranty. No heated grips or fuel gauge. BMW around 5k cheeper no brainier no regrets so far  :002:

Online mad ad

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 12:53:56 PM »
Best advice is go try both of them out, you might really love or hate them when you have. I wanted a RR at first, went on a test ride thinking it would be the bike for me, but after the ride I knew it wasn't for what I wanted it for and in the end it confirmed the decision completely to go for the R. both have there + and - and will come down to personal choice.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 12:56:05 PM by mad ad »

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 02:18:41 PM »
Both bikes are fantastic.  If you have a highly qualified aprilia dealer within a couple of hours of you and won't need to ride in much stop and go traffic then you definitely need to test the tuono :)

I highly recommend the af1 aprilia forum for more info. Great people and knowledge there.

I considered the tuono and decided on the s1000r. I would make the same decision again.  I really love and trust this bike and feel like it will do whatever I ask without complaint. I like that :)

Now is a great time to be shopping for a tuono (price wise) or even a little later in the season though having a shiver you must know this.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 02:25:18 PM by windyrun »

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Pro
  • any day on 2 wheels is a good day
  • Bike: 18 S1KR
  • City / Town: Montreal
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 01:37:13 PM »
Either bike would treat you well. I fell in love with the S1K after a couple of test rides. The ergos just worked for me and I was impressed at how it inspired my riding confidence.

I test rode the Tuono about a year later and was equally impressed and thought hmm..Slightly different ergos (for me). Not having a fuel gauge I thought was a bit odd. Overall, I'm still pleased with BMW and probably would make the same choice again if in the market for another super-naked. Still puts a smile on my face every time I open it up.
Best of luck with your upcoming purchase.   

Offline g0fwk

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: Aprilia Shiver
  • City / Town: Stockport
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 05:17:08 AM »
Hi all, thanks for the responses, Yes Im going to try the Tuono too but I must admit that my nearest BMW dealer and Aprilia dealer are the same time distance apart, if traffic ok... I had a very good experience with the Aprilia dealer (Via-Moto at Sheffield), but Williams BMW at Manchester have been good when I test rode a R9T and R1200RS last year.

So, S1000R going to get a good testing too.

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 09:59:07 PM »
Why not test a super duke  1290 gt while you're at it? I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts. not one near me (dealer)

Online zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 10:21:24 PM »
Everyone overlooks every single flaw with the Tuono because of how much they like the engine noise.

IMO that's just insane unless that's all you care about.

Haven't ridden a new one, but I test rode a 2016 Super Duke GT and wasn't impressed. It just seemed very unrefined to me, but of course the motor pulled hard.

Recent Posts/Topics