Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Order placed, just waiting on delivery! Gloucester, UK  (Read 588 times)

Offline Headf0x

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Gloucester
Order placed, just waiting on delivery! Gloucester, UK
« on: September 24, 2019, 11:11:35 AM »
Hello Everyone!  :152:

I've been lurking around for the last few weeks but it's time to introduce myself, as hopefully my bike is now less than a week away.

Got a good deal with the deposit contribution from BMW and it was matched (plus a bit more) from the dealer, Welwyn Garden City Motorrad.  In order to get the cost of insurance down I've stumped up for Datatool S4 Red - that was also discounted - over the OEM alarm and banged that on the PCP too!

I'll be getting mine in Black Storm Metallic... I have a thing for black bikes!  The last two bikes I owned were also black, last one being a Bandit 1250S (which I'm trading in against the S) and before that a Yamaha FZ8n.  I've also owned an early Yamaha R1, a VFR800 and 750, an early 90's CBR600, a late 90's ZX6-R, an F2 YPVS many years ago and few others in between  :002:

Before buying this one I did a test ride, I also rode an R1250R and a Speed Triple RS.  Since I've recently started my own YouTube channel I videoed all these and down below is a link to the S1000R vid:

(warning, does contain swearing....)

I've already got some bits waiting at home for the bike, namely a Vstream sport screen, Puig R12 Sliders, Evotech fork sliders and swing arm bobbins, RRG rad/oil guards and Wunderlich risers.  This forum has been really helpful in terms of making my choices for parts so far.

It's a great forum you have here - does reading the whole of the LED headlight thread count as a rite of passage?  :008:

Offline nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: Order placed, just waiting on delivery! Gloucester, UK
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 01:52:14 PM »
Welcome ! Youll enjoy this bike - youll definitely have a big smile on your face ! The black paint job does look nice !  :400:

Offline Chinook

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R 18 sport
  • City / Town: Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 06:18:43 PM »
Bought mine last October and managed 500 miles before the salt went down. Hope you get some decent weather to enjoy it. Used to work at the QEll hospital in Welwyn many years ago. Used to frequent the beehive and cherry tree 😄 probably closed down now?

Offline Headf0x

• S1000R Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 06:41:18 PM »
I did get an registration email from Datatool today which says that the alarm has been fitted so fingers crossed it does turn up by the weekend.

I actually know nothing about Welwyn Garden City at all sorry :008:   I initially got in touch with that shop because they had an web-advert for a new S1000R Sport at a price that was too good to be true... well it turns out that it was too good to be true; there was a mistake with the corporate sales ad template which was used by several shops! However I got on well with the sales guy (Russ Gibson-Batty) and he was somewhat persistent!  He ended giving me some good figures on the S and also did a bit of legwork for me regarding insurance which I appreciated and so I gave him the nod 👍

Offline subs_p

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 15 S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 12:31:58 PM »
That video is jokes - laughed out loud when you twisted the throttle at the beginning and almost lost your grip on the handlebar 😂
Overtaking is so incredibly effortless, and theres something about the seating position that just makes me feel like Im flying, I never got that on my GSXR before..youre absolutely going to love this bike, its an incredible machine..would definitely recommend a couple of track days on it to really push it a bit because God knows youll go to jail trying it on the roads
CBF600N8 daily commuter
S1000R for sunny days

Offline Headf0x

• S1000R Member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 02:46:36 PM »
Yeah that accidental throttle blip was very nearly a Brown Alert moment lmao

You're right in saying only a trackday will really let you know what the bike is capable of... I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about my licence!  But until then I'll still be having a ball learning about this bike on the road.  The different between this and the Bandit when having some fun is going to be huge!  The good news is that it all starts on Sunday  :046:

Offline Airsafari87

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 05:26:26 PM »
Haven't watched all of your video so you may have picked up on this already?

But I noticed you using the clutch for down shifts,  the quickshifter can be used for down shifts as well you know? You dont need to let off the throttle either.

They are pretty capable bikes on track too which was proven when I did the California Superbike School at Cadwell Park earlier this year. It took the instructor a lap and a half to catch up with me after pulling  behind me just before Coppice. In his words when we got back to parc ferme 'I had to stuff it up the inside of you at the hairpin otherwise the session would have ended before I could get in front of you' And he was on a Panagale V4  :001: Which I took to be quite a compliment to how these bikes can handle track work.

Offline Headf0x

• S1000R Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2019, 05:58:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by Airsafari87 [+]
Haven't watched all of your video so you may have picked up on this already?

Thanks for your message!  Yes I am aware of the upshift/downshift facility, but to be honest with you my brain was still catching up with all this new-fangled technology during the test rides!  On the R1250R I rode earlier the same day I was also trying to use the downshift without the clutch but still blipping the throttle!!  :138:  I was all over the place... it was quite an exciting day with a lot to think about lol

Getting the hang of Gear Assist Pro, wheelie and traction control are just few of the things I can't wait to do  :001:

Offline Airsafari87

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 06:26:39 PM »
No worries  :152:

I did the same thing when I first test rode the bike. I was misinformed by the sales guy (who I never bought off) that it was upshift only.

What did you make of the 1250R by the way? I had one out earlier in the year I loved it. It was like an S1000R but turned down from 10 to about a 7.
Bloody expensive though once you start speccing one up.

Offline Headf0x

• S1000R Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2019, 08:39:17 PM »
I actually was drawn to BMW in first place because I wanted a 1250R!  I test rode it and I loved the sound it made, how much fun it was to go fast (got a video on my YouTube channel), liked the TFT screen/connectivity and how planted it felt in the bends.... The only real problem I had with it was the kerb weight.  Coming from my Bandit 1250 I wanted a lighter bike to make life easier when moving the bike around in the shed and the back garden.  Sadly the weight difference between the Bandit and the 1250R wasn't enough for me.  If it was 20Kg lighter I would have ordered one - it was available at 0% finance too.

Recent Posts/Topics