Author Topic: Lets discuss tires  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Austin-G

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: MT10
  • City / Town: Leicestershire
Re: Lets discuss tires
Reply #10 on: September 22, 2019, 10:11:36 PM
I picked up my new bike with the Bridgestone S20's that come as standard in the UK, after the first service I had to fit new tyres to the bike as I was doing a seven day run to the Pyrenees / Andorra and I figured that after a thousand miles there wouldn't be enough left in the tyres for the trip.
Now to upset the tyre police, I fitted two Bridgestone's to the bike, an S22 to the front and a T31 to the rear.
I've used the S22 before on an MT10 Yamaha, I like the feel and predictability that the tyre gives me, the T31 on the rear for a bit more mileage, they performed really well with no issues at all, no telltale chicken strips at all, it's my intention to leave it as it is now. The S22 doesn't cause any issue in the wet, which fortunately only happened once.
As another note, one of the other guys was running a set of PR5's that I tried on the MT10 but didn't get along with, he was on a Ducati 1200 monster S and he rides the wheels off the thing, he doesn't rate them either, nor did the guy on the Tuono, he runs Pirelli's again sport front and sport touring on the back.
The guy on the Ducati Multistrada 1200s runs Continental sport attack on the front and road attack rear, he rates that set up.
The guy on the KTM Superduke R uses the latest model Dunlop sortsmart tyres and that bike corners like it's on rails. Two and a half thousand miles and they had life left in them.

Tyre's are a personal thing and everyone has a go to tyre, maybe not the best, but there you are.
Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 10:18:55 PM by Austin-G

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2019 R1250GS TE
  • City / Town: Somerset
Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 10:24:36 PM
Nothing wrong with mixing a sports tyre on the front and a touring tyre on the rear in my book. Did it for years on my old Fireblade (with Bridgestones) to even out the front / rear lifespan.

However, I very much like the PR5s and donít find them wanting at all for road riding. I donít take my R on track, so no idea how the PR5s would get on there.

Offline Fossil

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Berkshire
Reply #12 on: September 24, 2019, 10:31:31 AM
I used a newly scrubbed in set of PR5's on a track day last week, they were fine, very grippy with no drama. Great weather about 25degs. I think.

Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 10:55:55 AM by Fossil

sociology-monitor