Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: All lights flash and flicker on my BMW S1000R not starting or turning.  (Read 567 times)

Offline Isaacf0x

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: BMW S1000R
Hello everyone, I washed my BMW S1000R [2014] a couple of days ago (normal pressure with hose) and I tried starting It after about 30 minutes of letting it sit.

She didn't start, all the lights on the lamps front and back and instrument cluster started turning on the off again repeatedly until I turned the key to the off position again.

I thought maybe some water got into the connection under the seat so I took of both seats and let her sit for a couple of days, still no luck and same symptoms.

Battery is charged using a battery tender and seems to be good.

A last ditch attempt today was made with the additional difference of some clicking being heard from around the engine area under the main fairings. (See video on google drive below)

I don't have a dealer local so any steps to figure this out would be highly appreciated...

I have a Haynes (online) service manual but couldn't locate any relevant troubleshooting info in there either. A google search didn't come up with anything relevant or similar either.

Link to video of issue can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11G3tmV6unAYHp6qVgu7Gztig0l5LimTF/view?usp=drivesdk

Online zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
Re: All lights flash and flicker on my BMW S1000R not starting or turning.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 11:05:46 PM »
Try a new/different battery.  99% of starting issues are due to the battery, IMO.

Offline Zig Zag

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Black Storm
  • City / Town: Virginia
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 01:23:35 AM »
That looks like a lose connection somewhere.
Check to make sure your battery connections are clean and tight.
Check that the wiring connector to the ignition switch is on securely.
Just a shot in the dark, hope it helps. Let us know how it goes..
You should remember that its peace of mind youre after and not just a fixed machine.
Robert Persig

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Pro
  • any day on 2 wheels is a good day
  • Bike: 18 S1KR sport
  • City / Town: Montreal
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 11:54:10 AM »
If the battery is original to the bike (2014), good bet it's that

Offline Isaacf0x

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 09:50:17 PM »
Thank you very much for your kind responses, everyone. I did check the battery with my DMM after it had been charged and it read 11.8V so it's bad. I also ended up hooking up my car battery (while the car was turned off) in order to test the start on the bike. However, the bike still didn't start, the situation improved in that the flickering and flashing stopped and things seemed normal from that perspective. I also checked to ensure the Bike was in neutral and kickstand was up (I have the bike set on a center stand).

So now, when I press the start switch I can hear the clicking in the rear starter relay (Which is later checked by removing both relays and confirming the relay is fine using the Ohms on my DMM along with the main fuse and other fuses) and there is a slight whirring sound coming from  the engine area, eventually I ended up stripping the bike down to the starter motor and easing it out to check directly with a 12V source which confirmed the Starter Motor was working fine as well. There are no error messages showing up on the instrument panel with the exception of when I press the start switch a red triangle light (warning light towards the top right of the panel) flashed for about a half-second while the whirring sound kicks in after the click from the starter relay.

I've also confirmed the kickstand switch and clutch switche are working fine using the continuity function on my DMM.

Do you have any other suggestions before I haul her down to the local dealer for a workup?

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Pro
  • any day on 2 wheels is a good day
  • Bike: 18 S1KR sport
  • City / Town: Montreal
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 12:50:42 PM »
If you can get your hands on a GS-911 device, check to see if the ecu is throwing any codes or maybe there's an issue with the computer itself.Failing that, a visit to the stealership might be the only out. Best of luck and let us know what the end result is.

Offline beech

• S1000R Master
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $50
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 05:43:40 PM »
It is not clear in your posts if you have actually removed the bad battery and installed a good one. Easy to do before you haul the bike to the shop.
In hot climate, 2 or maybe 3 years on a motorcycle battery is long enough. I live in a temperate area and change mine every three years just so I won't have problems away from home.

Offline Isaacf0x

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 09:06:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by beech [+]
It is not clear in your posts if you have actually removed the bad battery and installed a good one. Easy to do before you haul the bike to the shop.
In hot climate, 2 or maybe 3 years on a motorcycle battery is long enough. I live in a temperate area and change mine every three years just so I won't have problems away from home.

@beech, my apologies, I bought a new battery from the dealer, but believe it or not it turned out to be a dud! So then I decided to use my car battery as a temporary substitute to see if she starts OK...

Offline beech

• S1000R Master
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $50
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 10:39:10 PM »
I do believe it! Just because a battery is "new" does not mean it is good. Been there.  A certain percentage are no good from manufacturing defects and others are not treated well between the manufacturer and the final owner. Always do a Volt meter check on them and a load test. Others will chip in but I find a very high percentage of electrical problems are battery problems. Your symptoms had that flavor. Then there are electrical connections to contend with also. Having a bad battery in the circuit is not good even with a jump from your car. (just for conversation because these posts are read by many...never run a bike with no battery in the circuit. Dirt bikes come to mind. You can see what it does to the computers when a bad one is there. Modern bikes detect this but older machines have no electronic serveillance to keep us out of trouble)
I suggest try one more time with a fresh bike battery and see how it goes. Good luck.
I purchase Yuasa fill with acid yourself batteries and keep one on the shelf when my bike battery reaches 2 years old. I'm ready that way. The dry batteries have a claimed shelf life of a year but I suspect you can push it if you do the start up process for the battery carefully.

Offline Zig Zag

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Black Storm
  • City / Town: Virginia
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 04:03:01 AM »
You have a Haynes service manual, looking over the wiring diagram for the fuses and positive supply (8-29).
Could your problem be the main relay? Its under the rear seat next to the starter relay. Your service manual will show the location.
Again, just a shot in the dark...
You should remember that its peace of mind youre after and not just a fixed machine.
Robert Persig

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor