Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: A couple of questions  (Read 1017 times)

Online zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
Re: A couple of questions
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 10:38:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by darth.vader [+]
Thank you for your feedback Zombie. I had actually eyed that Sargent one, so I am glad to know you like it. I'd purchase it from you, but I'd rather have a return-option in case I am not crazy about it.

That's fair enough, I know some people prefer the BMW Comfort seat to the Sargent, but I actually found the stock seat to be better for me than the Comfort.

Personally, I just purchased a "foam conversion" from Sargent for my "new" Multistrada and can't wait.

Offline Mark_62

• S1000R Member
  • City / Town: Shepherdsville
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 11:26:12 AM »
darth.vader,

Try adjusting your clutch lever out (or less slack in the cable) while the bike is still cold. I too have found the bike to be a bit stiff or fussy getting into neutral but only at what I call the upper range (high IMO) temperatures. As the entire bike gets to its maximum operating temperature over a period of time, I believe the clutch pack expands and requires more clutch lever travel. Anyway, that is what cured my minor issue. This winter I plan to strip the bike down of body work and study ways to alleviate some of the trapped heat. My hopes are to reduce the average run temps by a few degrees. One peek at your AIT reading in heavy traffic, and you will see what I am talking about. Understand, I am not saying there is a design flaw or anything is wrong with the bike, but mine behaves, shifts, and performs better at a click under 200 degrees. 

Good luck with your clutch/neutral issue.

Mark62

Online windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2019, 02:34:19 PM »
I may have misunderstood your issue regarding "hard to shift". I thought you meant stiff but it seems you meant not easy to get into neutral.

I say this since my bike also was very tricky to get into neutral when it was hot and at around the same mileage as you.

I then changed the oil at around 3500 miles and suddenly the problem went away--was easy to slip into neutral even when hot.

This was my experience so may be useful to you

Offline MA413

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 17S1KR
  • City / Town: New England
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2019, 05:57:14 PM »
Vader, check the slack in the chain.  I had hard shift issues and decided to tighten the chain which worked.  The chain was set at my 600 mile service so I assumed that couldnt be the culprit but I was wrong.  I believe I measured 1 1/8th and leaned towards the more tight end but check your manual.  All of my bikes always had the where is neutral game and the same for the bimmer.  A simple roll forward and back a half a foot while applying some foot pressure usually works for me.  Lastly, play with the clutch lever adjustments and see if there is an improvement combined with the chain adjustment. Hope you get it hashed out and roll on. :028:
17S1KR

Offline darth.vader

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Santa Monica, CA
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2019, 04:27:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by MA413 [+]
Vader, check the slack in the chain.  I had hard shift issues and decided to tighten the chain which worked.  The chain was set at my 600 mile service so I assumed that couldnt be the culprit but I was wrong.  I believe I measured 1 1/8th and leaned towards the more tight end but check your manual.  All of my bikes always had the where is neutral game and the same for the bimmer.  A simple roll forward and back a half a foot while applying some foot pressure usually works for me.  Lastly, play with the clutch lever adjustments and see if there is an improvement combined with the chain adjustment. Hope you get it hashed out and roll on. :028:

Thank you MA413!
I will give the slack in the chain a thorough check. I have never done it before so I hope I don't end up messing things up, I might have to look for a tutorial to do that.
And I also definitely have to check the clutch lever adjustment like Mark_62 advised. I just never did these things, and why they can't possibly be that hard, I need to make sure I do them right, so if you know a good tutorial somewhere for clutch and chain, please send them my way.

Offline darth.vader

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Santa Monica, CA
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2019, 04:29:04 AM »
Also, does anyone have suggestions for a better luggage solution than the one I am currenly mounting? All your valuable help is extremely appreciated.

Offline clik

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: S1000R sport
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2019, 08:36:46 PM »
i would think that thing you have at the moment will give you trouble on a windy day
it just looks out of place on such a cool bike if you need storage go for side boxes it wont look as bad
 :431: not trying to be smart good luck

PS i adjusted my chain and the quick shiftier is better worth a try
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 08:39:47 PM by clik »

Recent Posts/Topics