Author Topic: A couple of questions  (Read 1781 times)

Offline darth.vader

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Santa Monica, CA
A couple of questions
on: September 06, 2019, 12:32:39 AM
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2018 s1000R and I would like to ask you some questions/advice about things that have been bugging me and that could/should be improved. I am attaching a picture of my motorcycle so you can better look at the issues.

01. SEAT
I have purchased a Saddlemen Gel-Channel Sport Seat over a year ago. It is definitely more comfortable than the stock seat, however it has this annoying little wedge in the middle where dirt and water collects most of the time. On top of that, the seat is quite thick. I use the bike for daily work-commute in Los Angeles (up to 1 hour commute) and I am looking for a better and more comfortable solution for the seat. Could you advise me on your experience with after-market seats? I am not looking for a racing seat, just something better than the one I have.

02. BAGGAGE RACK
I had purchased a mount-set from Ventura in order to host a Givi case in the rear, however the Ventura set is really poorly designed. Other than getting rusted, it used to swivel left and right because of the absence of a center lock between the left and side mounts (I had to use a ton of Loctite Tread-locker to stop the screws from opening) and now -as you can see from the picture- the two side mounts are starting to bend downwards, because of weight and gravity/speed when riding. Is there anything better than the Ventura mounts that you can advise me?

03. QUICKSHIFTER/GENERAL SHIFTER
As of lately (bike is 16 months old, almost 4,000 miles) the shifter got really hard when shifting up or down, to the point that the neutral is quite impossible to find when the engine is hot/running. Sometimes at traffic lights I have to start in 2nd gear because the bike won't even go into 1st gear. Is that something anyone has experienced? Could it be related to the recent installation of a R&G Racing Radiator Guard for both radiatiors? Maybe the bike is too hot. Just speculating... Looking for some feedback for that too.

Also please now that I now have a Wunderlich Marathon Screen Tinted instead of the shitty PUIG that you see mounted in the picture.

Thank you in advance for your help and time.

Online zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
Re: A couple of questions
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 02:16:30 AM
Personally I found the sargent world seat to be the best, co-incidentally I have one for sale ;)

Online windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 02:43:13 AM
I also have an '18. Am approaching 7000 miles. I have had no problems with the quick shifter and certainly none like you are describing with your quick shifter. You may want to consider a visit to the dealer or call them since its under warranty  :148:

Side note: I have Evotech rad guards on both rads up front and doesn't seem to affect the running temps.

P.S. It would be great if you could post a pic of your bike with the tinted marathon screen. Bet it looks great and I've never seen a tinted one.
Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 02:46:37 AM by windyrun

Offline darth.vader

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 02:43:34 AM
*Originally Posted by zombie [+]
Personally I found the sargent world seat to be the best, co-incidentally I have one for sale ;)

Thank you for your feedback Zombie. I had actually eyed that Sargent one, so I am glad to know you like it. I'd purchase it from you, but I'd rather have a return-option in case I am not crazy about it.

Offline darth.vader

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 02:44:52 AM
*Originally Posted by windyrun [+]
I also have an '18. Am approaching 7000 miles. I have had no problems with the quick shifter and certainly none like you are describing with your quick shifter. You may want to consider a visit to the dealer or call them since its under warranty  :148:

Thank you Windyrun. I will follow your advice and bring the bike in to the dealership for that issue.

Offline darth.vader

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 02:45:56 AM
Side note: I have Evotech rad guards on both rads up front and doesn't seem to affect the running temps.

Glad to know that! I was terribly afraid I had increased temperatures by slapping those on.

Online windyrun

• S1000R Master
Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 02:47:45 AM
I've never had temps above 218F and I ride in traffic in the DC area where its 90s and very humid.

Offline darth.vader

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 02:55:12 AM
I've never had temps above 218F and I ride in traffic in the DC area where its 90s and very humid.

Yeah, my engine temperature stays between 212F and 216F, I just don't understand the clutch behind so hard.

Offline darth.vader

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 02:59:09 AM
P.S. It would be great if you could post a pic of your bike with the tinted marathon screen. Bet it looks great and I've never seen a tinted one.

There you go - pricey but well worth, considering it now feels like there is a good amount of downforce being applied to the bike.

Online windyrun

• S1000R Master
Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 03:14:25 AM
Thanks for posting the pic!

Looks very nice.