Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Is it a bad time to buy an S1000R?  (Read 3229 times)

Online windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
Re: Is it a bad time to buy an S1000R?
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2019, 02:35:10 PM »
Glad to hear nothing serious happened and your weren't injured.

Offline Enzio

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Pretoria
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2019, 07:21:27 AM »
The safest thing to do in Road mode is to just keep the throttle open, it settles the front down very quickly.
Suddenly closing the throttle is probably the worst thing to do, although it is the natural reaction for most people.

I don't do intentional wheelies, never have and don't intend to start.
However the bike has more than enough power to lift the front when giving it some stick and in this instance I have learnt to trust the electronics (I mostly ride in ROAD mode with the DDC on SOFT).
The front will get very light and sometimes lift a bit over ridges or hard take-offs, but it always comes back down smoothly.
I got nothing.....

Offline lumpycustard

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: '19 S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2019, 04:19:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by Enzio [+]
The safest thing to do in Road mode is to just keep the throttle open, it settles the front down very quickly.
Suddenly closing the throttle is probably the worst thing to do, although it is the natural reaction for most people.

I don't do intentional wheelies, never have and don't intend to start.
However the bike has more than enough power to lift the front when giving it some stick and in this instance I have learnt to trust the electronics (I mostly ride in ROAD mode with the DDC on SOFT).
The front will get very light and sometimes lift a bit over ridges or hard take-offs, but it always comes back down smoothly.

That's great to hear, thanks for confirming that! I came out of the car wash today and the bike handled itself wonderfully when i experienced some wheel spin exiting the driveway with some soapy water on my wheels. I knew it would spin, but i wanted to feel what the bike would do, and it settled itself perfectly.

I'm currently experiencing some issues hot starting the bike though. Two times today the bike failed to start, dying a second after firing up (sounds like its bogging down). I had to start the bike and open up the throttle a bit to keep it running which is a bit concerning for a bike with less than 600KM on the clock :( Will check with the dealership tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 04:21:14 AM by lumpycustard »

Offline lumpycustard

• S1000R Member
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2019, 09:00:53 AM »
Wew, what a fun week it was. It's been pissing rain in Sydney so I haven't gotten the chance to ride the bike as much as i wanted to, mostly just had to go straight home. Screw all the reviews and opinions saying that the bike isn't great for commuting. Power delivery is wonderful, the engine is tame / comfortable when it wants to be. Bar vibration at highway speeds is next to nothing (i don't know how people call the bars on this bike "vibey" but they need to go to a doctor and check their nerve endings)

Heading in for break in service tomorrow! :002: Hit 999KM as i pulled into my driveway from work tonight  :001:

« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 09:02:11 AM by lumpycustard »

Offline subs_p

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 15 S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2019, 10:46:49 AM »
What happened with the starting issues? Dealer do anything?
CBF600N8 daily commuter
S1000R for sunny days

Offline lumpycustard

• S1000R Member
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2019, 10:50:44 AM »
*Originally Posted by subs_p [+]
What happened with the starting issues? Dealer do anything?

I had to bring the bike in to replace a faulty quickshifter on Tuesday, it just suddenly stopped working after about 6 days -- couldn't quickshift up or down. Dealership ended up replacing the quickshifter rod, which i was disappointed to see fail so quickly.

While fixing the quickshifter they told me they found codes for my stalls, but we couldn't replicate the issue after further testing. They suggested i do the break in service then see what happens after that.

Edit: I've decided to take my bike to my local BMW dealership rather than going through this reseller as i wasn't really satisfied with their answer to the stalling.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 10:54:29 AM by lumpycustard »

Online windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2019, 12:42:39 PM »
My experience is you definitely want a knowledgeable dealer working on your bike that also takes pride in their work rather than just putting you off since they don't know what they are doing. I've had poor results going to a bmw dealer nearby then switched to a reputable and experienced dealer farther away and been happy ever since.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 12:43:40 PM by windyrun »

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Pro
  • any day on 2 wheels is a good day
  • Bike: 18 S1KR sport
  • City / Town: Montreal
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2019, 01:24:25 PM »
 :0461: A good dealership with experienced mechanics will have (for the most part) seen the majority of gremlins that can affect their products. The "I dunno" and "its normal" responses should be a red flag to you. After sales service on cars and bikes are dealerships bread and butter.

Offline lumpycustard

• S1000R Member
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2019, 02:11:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by windyrun [+]
My experience is you definitely want a knowledgeable dealer working on your bike that also takes pride in their work rather than just putting you off since they don't know what they are doing. I've had poor results going to a bmw dealer nearby then switched to a reputable and experienced dealer farther away and been happy ever since.

*Originally Posted by Hooligan [+]
:0461: A good dealership with experienced mechanics will have (for the most part) seen the majority of gremlins that can affect their products. The "I dunno" and "its normal" responses should be a red flag to you. After sales service on cars and bikes are dealerships bread and butter.

There is a particular bike mechanic in Sydney who used to take care of my Yamaha who is extremely skilled and very trustworthy, however he said he isn't set up for servicing BMW's and resetting their service intervals, and he declined to take on my bike -- i respect the fact that he declined my business purely out of a lack of confidence in servicing my bike, however that means i need to find a new mechanic to service the S1000R.

There's a proper BMW dealership not too far from my house that has a Motarrad workshop attached to it -- so i'm giving them a try tomorrow. The place i bought my bike from is just a reseller that also stock KTM, Honda, and Yamaha.

The place that i bought my bike from quoted me $420AUD for the break in service, however BMW Motarrad quoted $310 for the same service :155:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 02:13:54 PM by lumpycustard »

Offline Enzio

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Pretoria
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2019, 06:53:24 AM »
And that is why I do my own servicing.
With the service manual DVD and MotoScan/GS-911 you have the necessary info at hand.
And I can assure you I take more time to make sure everything is done correctly, all the bits get cleaned that you cannot see, no clips go missing, no mismatched bolts/screws, etc.

Granted, if you are not somewhat mechanically inclined it might seem scary - but you can learn these things quickly.

Hope you find a good technician to look after your bike  :305:
I got nothing.....

Recent Posts/Topics