Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gear changes / Octane / Performance  (Read 632 times)

Offline Mark_62

• S1000R Member
  • City / Town: Shepherdsville
Gear changes / Octane / Performance
« on: September 01, 2019, 02:39:57 PM »
I was directed here to share my very slight modification so here is what I have learned in my very short ownership of my 2019 1000R.

Just my opinion; since test riding my 1000R for the first time, I felt the bike was geared a touch too low. So after a few weeks and proper break in, I changed the rear sprocket. I dropped 2 teeth (45 tooth down to 43) in the rear. I opted for the Vortex aluminum sprocket and will explain that part later. The change was spot on (for me) and made the bike more pleasant at sustained speeds. The change dropped the RPM by 228 @ 70 MPH. It also took the top speed @ 11K from a calculated 149.7 MPH to a 156.7 MPH. Nice change on both ends. It also made 2nd and 3rd gear a tad more tractable during all out acceleration. And finally the part no one cares about... improved my fuel mileage bu 1.5 MPG (at least on the first two tanks of gas).

Octane; After purchasing my bike, I only used 93 octane on one fill up. After that I have used 89. In my past experience a bike with this compression doesn't warrant 93 octane. Also BMW suggest the same 93 octane in their boxer motor which is a bit more tame than the 1000R. While riding yesterday, I accidentally filled it with 87. Being away from home, I had no choice but to ride some of it out. So far, after the first 100 miles on 87 octane fuel, the bike is showing it's highest ever fuel mileage (45 MPG). I am not one to use the ECU generated figures so until I fuel it up again, I can only say that this is the best ECU calculated mileage ever displayed. This is encouraging because the ECU figures seem to run close to my old fashion fuzzy math. I am not suggesting that anyone else intentionally use 87 octane, but I thought the preliminary results were worth sharing. More to come on what I discover in this category.

Performance; getting back to my first impressions about the gearing.... After proper break in I ran the bike through all 6 gears and found it to pull the 11K in 6th with no problem. In fact, it got there too soon (I was looking for 7th gear). Again confirming my suspicion about the over all gearing being too low. While 149 MPH is pretty fast for a naked bike, I feel it has the horse power to push past that with the proper gearing. As a note, I never use speedometer readings, I find them to be inaccurate on most bikes, this one is no different. The tacks however usually are very close. I will validate this tachometer in the near future. When I have time, I will re-visit the top speed piece. I have also taken the bike to a local drag strip to test acceleration. JMO this is a valid and consistent way to establish base line numbers and evaluate progress or the lack of it when making changes. Note this is only an 1/8th mile facility but it still works well. With the bike over flowing with fuel, and a fully dressed rider weighing in @ 192 pounds, the bike ran a best of 6.85 @ 110.95 mph. Not bad on the first time out especially with a average at best rider. For anyone interested the bike weighed in @ 458 pounds, fully loaded with fuel.

If  anyone is interested in discussing gearing, octane, or performance, i will be glad to share what i know and or determine in the coming days. Right now, I have to run (literally).

Mark62

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
Re: Gear changes / Octane / Performance
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 05:31:25 PM »
 :460:

Offline Enzio

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Pretoria
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 07:09:00 AM »
Lower octane should give you better fuel economy since the energy content of the fuel is higher.
Thus at cruising the motor should use less fuel to keep the same speed (provide the required power)

The lower octane will only be an issue at high engine loads, when it will start knocking sooner causing the ECU to pull timing to stay within the safe operating parameters.

I have also been toying with the idea of a final drive drop since I bought mine. I only commute at speed and also feel it would be good change.
Simon on here did the same and reported an improvement as well.
I got nothing.....

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 01:50:28 PM »
Great observations there...I kinda agree and disagree its geared to low..

Ive no doubt it would pull a higher top speed but nakeds are not the most aero dynamic bikes and at that 150+, its not the most relaxed seat in the house Vs a sportsbike, for me its all about the accleration which of course the lower gearing emphasises....and I like the wheelies....!...but at high speed cruising, I can see a valid point about the engine feeling a little buzzy at those sorts of RPMs.

Done a few thousand miles on a variety of fuel, both at home and abroad, never noticed a difference in performance from any.

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2015 S1000RS
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 02:06:07 PM »
 :0461:

Offline Mark_62

• S1000R Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 05:18:12 PM »
Good points by all. And in the end, we all look for what we want from a given platform. That's what makes the world go around!!

I thought that I had written earlier about the all out acceleration part being compromised, improved or just neutral with the higher gear. I must have failed to hit send. In any case, when I get time, I will test the acceleration piece and get back.

Thanks for the feed back again! I have much to learn.... :112: :112:

Offline Mark_62

• S1000R Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 01:50:14 PM »
Almost forgot to follow up....

The taller gear (43 tooth verses the stock 45 tooth) made the bike 8 hundreds of a second quicker with an average 2 mph more terminal speed in the 1/8th mile (660 feet). The bike is quicker and faster in a rolling start 1/4 mile test when comparing to our stationary test mule (ZX1400). It also delivered on the top speed with more than a 5 mph increase. This performance combined with the extra MPG was a solid move in the right direction for how I use the bike. No matter how long I own this bike, I will never likely get such results for just a simple thirty minute mod and $56.00, said the guy who has spent a bunch and got nothing multiple times.... :157:

Have a good week!! :152: :152:

Mark62

Recent Posts/Topics