Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Should I get the Forged wheels on the S1000r Iím about to buy?  (Read 401 times)

Offline Devojrx7

• S1000R Junior
  • City / Town: Austin, AR
Iíve been lurking for a while now. I miss being able to corner and go fast. I had a Z1000 years ago before the 2 Harleys that I have now that I loved. Iím now looking to sell one of both of the Harleys and get a new S1KR. My question is if I buy new should I spring for the forged wheels. Iíve always been a huge fan of the lightest wheels possible on my race cars, and Iím assuming that buying aftermarket light weight wheels would be much more expensive than the factory ones. Iíll likely finance at least part of the bike and what the payment is doesnít really matter as much to me as the final price after interest. So that being said Iíd rather get the cheaper forged wheels up front if they are worth it as opposed to some more expensive aftermarket ones later. This wonít be a commuter bike, mostly mountain roads and an occasional track day.

My other question is if I find a bike that doesnít already have the wheels is this an option I can add, or does the bike have to be ordered with the wheels? Iíd like to get one before the end of the month when the rebates end, but I donít know if Iíll get one of my other bikes sold before then. I did search this topic first, but didnít find much. Thanks.

Offline boxerkuh

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R;K75;R100R
  • City / Town: Carolina's
Re: Should I get the Forged wheels on the S1000r Iím about to buy?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 09:19:56 PM »
I am by no means a racer or a track guy. When I bought my bike it had the HP wheels on it. From all the stuff I read the lighter wheels are a big help, cornering and steering require much less off an effort. You are correct, they are cheaper from the dealer than after market according to what I have read. I do believe that you can add the HP package to the bike when you buy it knew, but I would refer that question to the dealer.

Online SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 09:27:26 PM »
If you can get the forgies with the new bike I think you can save some money by getting forgies instead of the cast wheels. Yes, you can buy BMW forged wheels after the fact, but be prepared to bend over for the dealer. Buying afterwards, aftermarket forged wheels are cheaper than BMW forged wheels.

Offline Devojrx7

• S1000R Junior
  • City / Town: Austin, AR
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 10:12:37 PM »
Well one dealer has told me that to get the factory option price the bike had to have been ordered with them. They canít be dealer added after the fact. That would severely limit my choices and ability to haggle between dealers so it may not be worth it.

Online SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 10:39:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Devojrx7 [+]
Well one dealer has told me that to get the factory option price the bike had to have been ordered with them.

Correct, if you to get them afterwards you are going to pay full price(which is more than aftermarket forged wheel like OZ)

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 10:50:21 PM »
I have std wheels and I find the bike plenty flickable; more so than the '15 and prior versions I guess due to frame changes etc in '17 (?)

It sounds like you would like to have the forged wheels so seems like searching for a discounted bike with them already on them would be good for you.

Remember though that if you search for a bike with them and it is more than discounted bikes w/o them then the cost difference should be considered.

My personal experience with such things is if I wanted an option and didn't get it I always wish I had and end up spending more in the end to get it ... so my advice is find a bike with the forged wheels and make the best deal you can and be happy :)  :305:

« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 10:51:15 PM by windyrun »

Offline jdr

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: So California
Std wheels are good
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 11:01:37 PM »
Same here, I have the standard wheels, and don't feel I am missing out on any fun.
Their smooth surface makes for easy cleaning too.

Online SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 12:46:57 AM »
I had Rotobox on mine, and it made a huge difference from the OEM cast wheels, turning , accelerating and braking were all noticeably improved. I'll be honest, I bought them for the looks and I CF'd my R, but I was surprised how much difference they made.

I ended up selling the  wheels 'cos I was going to sell the R, biggest mistake I've made in a long time!! :019:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 12:48:19 AM by SimonUK »

Offline ren

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2014 S1R
  • City / Town: San Francisco
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 01:57:02 AM »
YESSSSS

Offline Chinook

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R 18 sport
  • City / Town: Cheshire
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 11:49:40 AM »
Ridden the S1R with both and found with forged wheels the front end was more flighty with more potential to lift on bumpy roads and more inclined to induce head shake. Felt the cast wheels gave a more planted feel and didnít notice a great deal of difference in the performance of the bike on the road with my ability. I think a lot of itís psychological spend money and something and its got to be better. Maybe if your chasing seconds on a smooth track the advantage would come apparent. Cast wheels also in my opinion look better and polish up nicely. Carbon wheels do look bling though. One positive thing I felt was the rear suspension was more plush and reactive with the less weight of the forged wheels. 
Happy hunting for your bike.

Recent Posts/Topics