Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Engine warning light comes on when starting the bike  (Read 438 times)

Offline Trvnks

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
Engine warning light comes on when starting the bike
« on: July 28, 2019, 07:23:12 PM »
Hi everyone, I just bought a secondhand 2017 S1000R, 25500 km (15800 mi), sport and dynamic packs. Bike comes with a 1 year warranty as I bought it from BMW Premium Selection, and they are preparing an extra year which was part of the agreement, both years provided by Real Garant (which I was told it is what they use for Premium Selection bikes).

Anyway, when the bike arrived (it was shipped to me), it wouldn't start. Looked like battery had no charge, so the truck guy helped me out with a starter and that was it. But then, first time I filled up the gas tank, it wouldn't start again. I tried a couple times, turned it off and on again, and started it and it was fine. Today it was the same thing, went to the gas station and after filling up it wouldn't start, but I noticed something: the warning light was solid there and ENGINE! message as well. Again, turned it off and on, and it started all ok. Runs ok to me.

I don't know if the first 2 times it didn't start, the warning light and ENGINE! message were there, at least I didn't see anything but didn't check either (I was unfamiliar with the dash yet).

Only clue I have, after reading the owner's manual, is that I have filled it past the MAX shown in the manual, both times. Also, I am filling it with 95 RON, and manual recommends 98 RON.

Anyone has experienced something like this before?

Thank you in advance!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 07:25:32 PM by Trvnks »

Offline Meguerra

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2016 BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Temecula
Re: Engine warning light comes on when starting the bike
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 08:59:49 PM »
 I would check and make sure battery terminals are tight. They do come loose sometimes with the small amount of play in the battery housing. I wedged some rubber in between the battery and the housing to eliminate battery movement. If the motor is turning over and it won't start read this thread below. Could be a case of over pressurized fuel line.

https://www.s1000r.co.uk/index.php/topic,7537.msg81671.html#msg81671

We run 93 octane in the States with no problems and I fill up slightly above the red tube fill line.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 09:15:52 PM by Meguerra »

Offline Trvnks

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 10:11:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by Meguerra [+]
I would check and make sure battery terminals are tight. They do come loose sometimes with the small amount of play in the battery housing. I wedged some rubber in between the battery and the housing to eliminate battery movement. If the motor is turning over and it won't start read this thread below. Could be a case of over pressurized fuel line.

https://www.s1000r.co.uk/index.php/topic,7537.msg81671.html#msg81671

We run 93 octane in the States with no problems and I fill up slightly above the red tube fill line.

Hi Meguerra,

Thanks for your reply and for clarifying it shouldn't be what I commented about the tank and the fuel.

Something I have noticed after watching a few vids of people with starting issues, is that their starter motor turns much faster, mine kind of hesitates, and dash goes blank for a second or so, even when it gets to fire up in the end. I may be taking the bike to a garage just to test the voltage of the battery. It may be damaged because it ran out of charge?

I will also check what you said about loose terminals.

Will also try to record a vid.

Offline beech

• S1000R Master
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $50
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 06:56:29 PM »
You have a failed battery. Get a new one. Buy a Yuasa AGM. Charge it before you install it in the bike. Skip the charge only if you personally see the vendor do it for 4 hours trickle charge. Now go buy a smart motorcycle battery charger that can tell what type of battery it is hooked up to and use it regularly when not riding.

Recent Posts/Topics