Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hello from NZ  (Read 334 times)

Offline Fastmark

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: 2019 S1000R
  • City / Town: Auckland
Hello from NZ
« on: July 21, 2019, 09:03:07 AM »
Hi All,
Just bought a shiny new S1000R in black. First BMW I have owned and I must confess to be very impressed. Been riding for over 30 years mostly in the UK, been in NZ for 10 years and loving it. Formerly of Ashford in Kent if anyone is interested.

I know somewhere on here there is a reference to radiator and oil cooler guards. The dealer told me fitting a non-BMW approved part may well invalidate the warranty but he was going to look into it for me.

Hope to gain some specific knowledge and support from the forum, may even be able to offer the odd opinion or two :016:

Offline Wiffa

• S1000R Member
  • Snakes Alive
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Re: Hello from NZ
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 10:52:29 AM »
 :400:

From across the ditch.
I have fitted the evo tech guards for both the radiator & oil cooler no mention about warranty concerns. They seemed very susceptible to damage from stones etc,
They are a must here.

It is a great bike my 2nd BMW stepping up from a F800GT.
Enjoy.

Offline samgab

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2018 S1000R
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 01:59:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Fastmark [+]
Hi All,
Just bought a shiny new S1000R in black. First BMW I have owned and I must confess to be very impressed. Been riding for over 30 years mostly in the UK, been in NZ for 10 years and loving it. Formerly of Ashford in Kent if anyone is interested.

I know somewhere on here there is a reference to radiator and oil cooler guards. The dealer told me fitting a non-BMW approved part may well invalidate the warranty but he was going to look into it for me.

Hope to gain some specific knowledge and support from the forum, may even be able to offer the odd opinion or two :016:

Wow, another Aucklander! Experience Motorcycles in Kingsland?

Offline Fastmark

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 07:02:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by samgab [+]
Wow, another Aucklander! Experience Motorcycles in Kingsland?

Hi Samgab, yes from Experience Motorcycles. I did start with Cyclespot but the sales guy their couldn't sell heaters to Eskimos, EM know their stuff and were very helpful, recommend dealing with them if you like a professional service.

Offline Fastmark

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 09:38:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by Wiffa [+]

From across the ditch.
I have fitted the evo tech guards for both the radiator & oil cooler no mention about warranty concerns. They seemed very susceptible to damage from stones etc,
They are a must here.

It is a great bike my 2nd BMW stepping up from a F800GT.
Enjoy.

And a must here! just ordered the radiator and oil cooler guard from Evotech which will go on after the first service.

Offline samgab

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2018 S1000R
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 11:21:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Fastmark [+]
Hi Samgab, yes from Experience Motorcycles. I did start with Cyclespot but the sales guy their couldn't sell heaters to Eskimos, EM know their stuff and were very helpful, recommend dealing with them if you like a professional service.

Yes, I purchased my 2018 from them, as they're just down the road from me. Overall pretty happy with them. One minor glitch; when they returned my bike from its first service, they said they had removed the 9K rev limiter, but they hadn't, and I had to take it back again to get them to do that. Just human error though, so not a major. But I've bought a few accessories from them, and the parts dept give a discount if you bought the bike from them. I got the R&G aero crash protectors from them, which I'd deem an important accessory.
I also went online to https://tstindustries.com/bmw-s1000r-2014-/ and got the Womet-Tech fork sliders, swingarm spools/sliders, and bar ends/sliders.

I have yet to get: Radiator/oil cooler guards, HP brake/clutch levers (Not happy with the factory clutch lever, no reach adjustment, pretty poor on a bike of this level IMO), Tail tidy, Rizoma mirrors, and maybe Rizoma brake fluid cannister...

My best accessory I've purchased for this bike though is the Akrapovic GP Style "shorty" slip on. Keeps the volume levels under the legal limit here in NZ (Legal max is 100dB and this pipe measures 99.8dB - https://www.akrapovic.com/en/moto/product/20089/BMW/S-1000-R/2018/Slip-On-Line-Titanium?brandId=44&modelId=375&yearId=4825 ). The sound is much improved over the factory Akra/HP can IMO, but not obnoxiously loud. Saw it come up on Trademe for a great price and snapped it up immediately!

Offline Fastmark

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 07:49:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by samgab [+]
Yes, I purchased my 2018 from them, as they're just down the road from me. Overall pretty happy with them. One minor glitch; when they returned my bike from its first service, they said they had removed the 9K rev limiter, but they hadn't, and I had to take it back again to get them to do that. Just human error though, so not a major. But I've bought a few accessories from them, and the parts dept give a discount if you bought the bike from them. I got the R&G aero crash protectors from them, which I'd deem an important accessory.
I also went online to https://tstindustries.com/bmw-s1000r-2014-/ and got the Womet-Tech fork sliders, swingarm spools/sliders, and bar ends/sliders.

I have yet to get: Radiator/oil cooler guards, HP brake/clutch levers (Not happy with the factory clutch lever, no reach adjustment, pretty poor on a bike of this level IMO), Tail tidy, Rizoma mirrors, and maybe Rizoma brake fluid cannister...

My best accessory I've purchased for this bike though is the Akrapovic GP Style "shorty" slip on. Keeps the volume levels under the legal limit here in NZ (Legal max is 100dB and this pipe measures 99.8dB - https://www.akrapovic.com/en/moto/product/20089/BMW/S-1000-R/2018/Slip-On-Line-Titanium?brandId=44&modelId=375&yearId=4825 ). The sound is much improved over the factory Akra/HP can IMO, but not obnoxiously loud. Saw it come up on Trademe for a great price and snapped it up immediately!

Happy with the standard Akro, my previous bike (Ducati Monster) had Dan Moto end cans and they were REALLY loud so will stay with this for a while, besides it does howl nicely at higher revs. Evo Tech radiator and oil cooler arrived today but will wait until first 1000kms service before installing. May put crash bungs etc. on but no hurry at present, just want the weekend to arrive sooner so i can get out on the bike....
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 07:51:03 AM by Fastmark »

Offline subs_p

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 15 S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 08:42:32 AM »
CBF600N8 daily commuter
S1000R for sunny days

Offline Fastmark

• S1000R Junior