Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Intro  (Read 372 times)

Offline Austin-G

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: MT10
  • City / Town: Leicestershire
Intro
« on: July 14, 2019, 09:01:08 PM »
Hi from a new member in the UK. I'm what you could term a silver surfer.
I currently run a Yamaha MT10 that I am looking at changing for an S1000r, is there anything I need to be aware of ?
I've read test reports, watched video's on grotube, but you can't beat owners reports can you.
What's the real world fuel consumption like ? do they use much oil ? any reliability issues with a fairly low mileage model, I will be taking it on trips to Europe, what's the best screen ? (I know it's meant to be a naked bike, but ....) 

Enough for now, I need to start reading up.
G
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 09:24:29 PM by Austin-G »

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
Re: Intro
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 09:29:47 PM »
I can tell you that my S1000R gets way better mileage than my friend's MT10.  He is lucky to get 200km to a tank I think, meanwhile I get around 300km.

Use much oil? They're not 2 strokes.  If your 4-stroke is running out of oil it had better have a leak ;)

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2015 S1000RS
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 10:27:35 PM »
 :400:

Economy depends on how hard you use it, but I never bank on getting more than 140-150 miles to a tank. According to the computer I get 45 mpg, but thats optimistic in my experience.

Never used a drop of oil in 13K miles but I did have a couple of issues fixed under warranty (broken LH switch gear and replacement expansion tank). Hasnt missed a beat since. There are a few that have had major engine gremlins, but it isnt the norm. Dont be surprised if the engine sounds quite mechanical compared to your Yamaha.

The R is an extremely capable sports-tourer, mine is off on its 4th outing to Europe tomorrow. Youll probably want a more comfortable seat and a bigger screen helps manage the windblast. As to which ones are the best... thats entirely a matter of personal preference. I like my BMW comfort seat and Wunderlich touring screen but there plenty of other owners who prefer the other options.

Good luck with your reading, youll find a huge wealth of information here.  :028:

Offline samgab

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2018 S1000R
  • City / Town: Auckland
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 12:22:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by zombie [+]
I can tell you that my S1000R gets way better mileage than my friend's MT10.  He is lucky to get 200km to a tank I think, meanwhile I get around 300km.

Use much oil? They're not 2 strokes.  If your 4-stroke is running out of oil it had better have a leak ;)

You get 300Km to a tank?? I don't know how you manage that. I'm averaging 145Km per tank, filling up an average of 13.28L/fuelup (it's a 17L tank). My average fuel consumption is 8.9 L/100Km. The most I've ever got to a tank was 179Km. However I mostly do very short trips, town commutes, so the bike is still warming up for a lot of the trips. When I do a longer trips I tend to get more like 6-7 L/100Km. But 300Km/tank seems impressive... On a long trip, motorway cruising, on flat roads, going a fairly slow pace (80-100 Kph), getting a hypothetical ~5L/100Kms, I could technically get as much as 300Km to a tank I suppose, but the best consumption I've seen over a tankful of fuel was 6.75 L/100Km. That's across 21 fuel-ups since new.

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/bmw/s1000r/2018/samgab/840743 (Bear in mind the fuel costs for me are in NZD)
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/bmw/s1000r/2018/samgab/840743/fuelchart

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/bmw/s1000r Looking at the averages for this model, people are getting anywhere from 5.1-9.0 L/100Km, with the standard deviation between 6-7 L/100Km. That's across a sample of 27 bikes. That should give you an idea of what to expect, depending on how you ride, etc.

Also, my oil level never changes. But my bike is less than a year old and has done just under 3000Km, so I'd expect that.

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 01:25:24 AM »
Lol 145km to a tank? Are you riding in 1st and 2nd everywhere? Fuel leak??

When I fill, the fuel computer says range 250km, and if I brim the tank I can ride 50-75km before the number even starts to drop below 250km so I don't know how you're getting less than 250.

I also use fuelly, but have never added any fillups to my BMW now that I have a bike that tracks my fuel economy anyway.

My R1 averaged 6.0l/100km over 5,300km

« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 01:28:59 AM by zombie »

Offline Wiffa

• S1000R Member
  • Snakes Alive
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 02:26:06 AM »
 :400:

Mr Austin-G

The best I have got on a long run is 320km to empty with a lot of cruise control.
200-250km seems easy at this stage, I only run on 98RON as recommended.
I don't mind, it makes you stop for a break every 2hrs or so.
Like every thing mechanical needing fuel the harder you go the worst the consumption.
I have had the BMW touring screen fitted is perfect, & if you wish to sit a little more upright then the Wunderlich handlebar riser @20mm (easily fitted with no modification necessary). At $99Aus is a good buy. Also fitted Evotech Radiator & oil cooler guards a must down here.
It runs hot to 115c at idle soon drops when the fan starts to around 102c, cruising around 87-92c.
My man tells me that the sensors are on the hot side after the fluids have absorbed the heat prior to intake back into the coolers, so the engine is actually running cooler??????
This model has been around now for quite a few years, you would think they have ironed out any problems.
Extremely happy at this point and with 3 years warranty & road side assistance I guess all is covered if a problem arises.

Good luck

Online windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 03:13:03 AM »
Welcome. If you're used to an MT10 then you will probably want to consider bar risers like others have mentioned as well as adjustable pegs or lower pegs. The s1000r retains much of the RR brother's race bike ergos. The bars are fairly low relative to the MT10s.

I like the wunderlich sport screen and the vstream TOURING screen. The wunderlich sport looks better...the vstream might provide better protection but neither protects like the wunderlich marathon screen which is full on barn door :)

Knock on wood my bike has been trouble free except for a couple of dealer induced (read didn't know what they were doing) small niggles.

I like the bmw comfort seat but some don't. I am 6' and tend to ride further back in the saddle which coincidentally is where the padding is better.

I would buy it again and its starting to look like a keeper which is a first for me :)  Very versatile bike that's lots of fun and seems very happy when its running full tilt but content to just plod along as well.

The fans do blow a lot of heat when in stop and go traffic in the hot summer but never has had a problem so far keeping its temps under control.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 03:18:17 AM by windyrun »

Offline Austin-G

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: MT10
  • City / Town: Leicestershire
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 10:11:17 AM »
Have now taken a half day test ride, done the haggling over a deal and paid the deposit. Just waiting for the collection date, hope fully this week.  :028:

Offline Wiffa

• S1000R Member
  • Snakes Alive
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Melbourne
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 10:46:52 AM »
Well Done.

Hope you got a good deal, must have I guess.

:047: :046: :152:

Recent Posts/Topics