Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cruise control toggle loose in housing  (Read 386 times)

Offline Purplehayz

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: '15 S1000R
  • City / Town: Columbus, Ohio
Cruise control toggle loose in housing
« on: July 14, 2019, 12:11:07 AM »
Anybody know of a way to properly pull apart the left control switch housing to try and tighten up the cruise control function on/off? Mine is pretty loose and will not stay in good contact to set the cruise anymore. I'm not even sure that it's something that can be tightened up. I can't really justify trying to pull it apart without knowing if it's fixable. Got a 10 day trip in a few days and cruise control would be nice to have functioning, but don't wanna break anything and ruin my trip.

Offline Wiffa

• S1000R Member
  • Snakes Alive
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Re: Cruise control toggle loose in housing
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 04:34:48 AM »
I had a mate with cruise on another BMW no serviceable parts, just a complete replacement of the switch.
It is probably something I wouldn't touch unless you know what you are doing. I just think if you cannot deactivate it, the ride you will have  :005:.
Take the safer option & replace it.

Good luck & have a safe trip.

Online DRoss

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: s1000r, fz1
  • City / Town: Mariposa, Ca
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 07:11:08 AM »
Mine is loose also this is not the answer I wanted to read. :232:

Offline Airsafari87

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 08:07:00 AM »
You can take them apart but take it apart very very carefully as there is a LOT of stuff packed inside of there.

Ideally you will need to strip the control unit off the bars, which is quite simple to do.

The unit can then be taken apart using a real small torx key.

I'd reccomend doing it sat down at a table and like I said, take apart real slow so that when something does drop out of place you can see where it came from and drop it back in.

Of it all goes t*ts though a new unit is something like 380 from BMW. I had to purchase one a short while back after a pheasant exploded mine after hitting it at speed.

Offline Purplehayz

• S1000R Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 12:36:07 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I guess I've lived w out one for enough time that I won't really miss it for this trip. Although it is really nice to have for long days in the saddle.

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 04:50:02 PM »
I've never used one or seen one ... but there are things called "throttle jockeys" or something similar that people write they like. Might be something to consider if they aren't too pricey; just for your long trip.

Offline Purplehayz

• S1000R Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 12:13:11 AM »
Anybody see anything wrong with keeping the cruise toggle in the ON position? Since it's loose, I can wedge a little piece of something under it to hold it in position. Then I can just set cruise anytime w out flipping it on and off. Of course, the possibility of bumping it is there, but not likely. Also I would be counting on the clutch or brake to disengage it every time, which shouldn't be a problem. Any thoughts on do it or don't?

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 12:36:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by Purplehayz [+]
Anybody see anything wrong with keeping the cruise toggle in the ON position? Since it's loose, I can wedge a little piece of something under it to hold it in position. Then I can just set cruise anytime w out flipping it on and off. Of course, the possibility of bumping it is there, but not likely. Also I would be counting on the clutch or brake to disengage it every time, which shouldn't be a problem. Any thoughts on do it or don't?

I often hit the set/decel switch by mistake when going to flash my headlights, which often catches me by surprise so I leave mine off unless I'm using it. 

If you never flash your high beams, or never have this problem, no I see no issue with leaving it on. 

Worst case scenario you pull the clutch lever or the brakes and it will shut off anyway.

Offline Purplehayz

• S1000R Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 12:39:05 AM »
Right on, that's what I figured too. Sometimes stuff sounds better in my head though.

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 02:23:30 AM »
I have to say that I do not think the cruise on my R or XR has ever been locked in the 'off' position, and I have not had any issues with it there.

Recent Posts/Topics