Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2020 Model and Color update.  (Read 1472 times)

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
Re: 2020 Model and Color update.
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2019, 11:52:13 AM »
If someone is looking for a calmer but somewhat sporty naked I recommend test riding a r1200r. Yes....the boxster roadster.

You need to spend a little time on it and ride it through some curves or twisty roads to start to appreciate how much fun it is.  Its obviously practical but also fun to ride and comfortable.

I almost bought one but I really wanted the comfier sport bike offered by the s1000r.

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2019, 12:26:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Airsafari87 [+]
Have you rode the RS yet?

I was very close to trading my S1000R in until I rode one.

Putting aside all the trinkets and baubles for a second. The actual riding experience of the  RS just couldn't quite match that of the S1000R.

Don't get me wrong, it was very nice to ride while I was on it, but stepping straight off the RS and back on to my own bike I knew within that first mile that the RS wasnt the bike for me.

And that's the important point there ... it wasnt the bike for me.

No, I didn't ride it as over on this side of the pond they don't tend to have demo bikes outside of manufacturer demo days and unless you're seriously considering buying one, you're unlikely to get them to let you ride one from the showroom.

I'm not saying it's a better bike, but as you put it, it may have been the better bike for me, had it been available when I bought my bike in 2017.  (yes, I know the speed triple was available in 2017, but it was very long in the tooth at the time)

Personally, I've never been 100% satisfied with the S1000R, and I will likely trade it in once it's paid for.

Offline Airsafari87

• S1000R Pro
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2019, 01:05:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by windyrun [+]
If someone is looking for a calmer but somewhat sporty naked I recommend test riding a r1200r. Yes....the boxster roadster.

You need to spend a little time on it and ride it through some curves or twisty roads to start to appreciate how much fun it is.  Its obviously practical but also fun to ride and comfortable.

I almost bought one but I really wanted the comfier sport bike offered by the s1000r.

I had the newer R1250R for a few hours demo a couple of months ago and it is a very capable bike.

Felt very much like the S1000R but turned down by about 15% to 20% in all areas (apart from braking)

Funnily enough i rode it about an hour after stepping off that Speed Triple RS so it was a nice comparison to that as well.

I loved riding it and the 'secret' screen you get with the motorsport colours was hilarious, I spent the whole 3 hours seeing how much lean angle I could get on both sides (the centre stand scrapes like f*ck much beyond 43 degrees lean angle) and seeing how much traction control intervention I could get.

The only downside to them is they are very expensive. In typical BMW fashion you buy a base product and everything else you want comes in packs, but to get the things you really want you end up with a load of packs added on. Without going stupid with the options I think I ended up with a spec that was somewhere in the region of 17k which would render buying one a complete non starter for me.

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Pro
  • any day on 2 wheels is a good day
  • Bike: 18 S1KR sport
  • City / Town: Montreal
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2019, 01:50:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by zombie [+]
No, I didn't ride it as over on this side of the pond they don't tend to have demo bikes outside of manufacturer demo days and unless you're seriously considering buying one, you're unlikely to get them to let you ride one from the showroom.

I'm not saying it's a better bike, but as you put it, it may have been the better bike for me, had it been available when I bought my bike in 2017.  (yes, I know the speed triple was available in 2017, but it was very long in the tooth at the time)

Personally, I've never been 100% satisfied with the S1000R, and I will likely trade it in once it's paid for.
If you haven't already, I would suggest taking a Tuono factory for a spin. If you can get past the flashy paint scheme, It's another 'spirited' machine that compares well against the S1K. I believe they've upgraded the electronics package on the current year model as well.  I went to a demo day and still find myself thinking about it. Unfortunately, no room in the garage or wallet for both.

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2019, 02:46:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hooligan [+]
If you haven't already, I would suggest taking a Tuono factory for a spin. If you can get past the flashy paint scheme, It's another 'spirited' machine that compares well against the S1K. I believe they've upgraded the electronics package on the current year model as well.  I went to a demo day and still find myself thinking about it. Unfortunately, no room in the garage or wallet for both.

Unfortunately, the Tuono is a no-deal for me... the nearest dealer is over 8 hours away, and I can't trust an Aprilia not to break down.

I'm unlikely to buy another naked bike, I will likely go with either an XR or multistrada for my next bike (especially if the multi v4 rumours are true)

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Master
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2019, 07:52:09 PM »
^ Just curious. What about the XR makes it appealing to someone that is not a fan of the s1000r?

I've been considering a left over multi if I can find one at a sane price... as an addition :)

Regarding the speed triple rs ... it seemed a little heavy and dull to me. I went with a street triple rs but that too was a bit lacking a didn't keep it very long.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 07:55:12 PM by windyrun »

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2019, 08:31:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by windyrun [+]
^ Just curious. What about the XR makes it appealing to someone that is not a fan of the s1000r?

I've been considering a left over multi if I can find one at a sane price... as an addition :)

Regarding the speed triple rs ... it seemed a little heavy and dull to me. I went with a street triple rs but that too was a bit lacking a didn't keep it very long.

My problems with the R are more to do with comfort than anything else, the XR has a more upright riding position and wider seat.

Online crna59

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: '19 S1000r
  • City / Town: Issaquah
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2019, 12:36:56 AM »
My problems with the R are more to do with comfort than anything else, the XR has a more upright riding position and wider seat.

and about 3" taller!! Too damn tall for me!!!
MSF 2-wheel Instructor
H-D Riding Academy Instructor
S/TEP 3-wheel Instructor

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2019, 01:31:12 PM »

I suggest you test ride one before making your conclusions just on paper, the BMW was my least fave of the bikes I was looking at until I test rode one.

I found the Triumph had a top heavy feel to it, was a bit agricultural in terms of gear change,(even the QS couldnt disguise this) just not as polished or smooth as the BMW, didnt have no where near the top end zip of the BMW, the keyless ignition as mentioned also put me off to an extent.

When I test rode the Triumph RS , cruise control and heated grips where extras, the bike itself was over 13,000 pounds with the finance deal nearly double that of BMWs, with the S1000R available at 11,500 pounds, it was a no brainer.

Shame as i really did like the look and the sound of it.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 01:32:29 PM by podders »

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Master
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2019, 01:51:30 PM »
The triple sound/whine can get old after a while. I had three. The daytona 675 though I never tired of. Its motor was a peach.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 01:52:10 PM by windyrun »

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor