Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: High speed head shake, (how I stopped it)  (Read 857 times)

Offline Murraybiker

• S1000R Junior
  • City / Town: Devon
High speed head shake, (how I stopped it)
« on: June 24, 2019, 06:14:40 PM »
I bought a new s1000r two weeks ago, had the first service on Saturday. I finished work today and thought I'll go see what the bike can do. Got it warmed up and found a straight bit of (private) road   :038: under hard acceleration at 120 the bike starts wobbling like mad, I back off try again same thing. I figured It may be due to wind so i try it on a different (private) road and same thing.

Safe to say after spending this much on a bike I was annoyed I cant ride it any faster then my old street.

So I get home and start googling to find a cheaper answer then new steering damper and read about gripping too tight on the bars and what you wear playing a part.

I had the bike in dynamic mode with road ddc, textiles and a rucksack on, I'm 6"4 and weigh about 14 stone.

I plugged in the dynamic pro dongle, chucked my leathers on and went out to try again.

So now the bike is in full dynamic pro mode, I slide back on the seat, grip with my knees, tuck down slightly, loosen my grip and nail it. The bike climbs to 140 + and nothing. I can feel the front end is light but no movement on the bars. Well happy. Done a few runs to make sure it wasnt a fluke and every time it was fine. :821:

I worked for me so maybe it'll help someone else out in the future and save them 400+ on new parts.

P.s. I do plan on upgrading the steering damper but cant afford it for a while so happy I can still ride the bike to it's full potential (well, my full potential haha) in standard form.

Cheers

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2015 S1000RS
  • City / Town: Somerset
Re: High speed head shake, (how I stopped it)
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 06:42:04 PM »
The secret really is not to grip the bars too tightly. Im wider but shorter than you, always wear textiles and have nearly maxed out my R numerous times whilst carrying luggage (on the autobahns) with no head shake.

Offline Murraybiker

• S1000R Junior
  • City / Town: Devon
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 07:39:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by SimonS1KR [+]
The secret really is not to grip the bars too tightly. Im wider but shorter than you, always wear textiles and have nearly maxed out my R numerous times whilst carrying luggage (on the autobahns) with no head shake.

I guess it's getting used to a lighter grip then. I didn't think I was holding on tight, no more then previous bikes I had my street triple at 145 on the autobans last year and had a fireblade at 170 so am used to doing the speed.

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 09:37:13 AM »
Id say the ruck sack would have contributed to the greater part of that equation but your right, a lighter grip does help but there isnt much doubt the R has a valid reputation for its stability being of a slightly nervous disposition at high speed, certainly over its competition.

There was a good article in Fast Bikes mag a few months ago which tested the super nakeds back to back and they noted its (R) instability(vs the others) at speed.

My (larger) screen affected mine noticeably but im happy to trade the more relaxed cruising for the slight loss of instability past 140...

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Pro
  • any day on 2 wheels is a good day
  • Bike: 18 S1KR sport
  • City / Town: Montreal
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 07:30:12 PM »
  Interesting vid from Dave Moss regarding head shake, tank slapper causes

Offline Redeye331

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: Red 1000r
  • City / Town: St. Albans
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 11:28:58 PM »
I have also noticed a well balanced tire and correct suspension sag can really flatten out the shake.

Offline VARRAKK

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R '18
  • City / Town: Malm
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 08:52:41 AM »
The Wnderlich Sports Screen made the bike feel a lot better for me.

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor