Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: D Day and Ypres trip  (Read 222 times)

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
D Day and Ypres trip
« on: June 11, 2019, 03:03:25 PM »
Just came back from a 7 day trip for the D Day commemorations and also took in the last known location my great Grandad was at during the WW1 battle of the Somme.

Took hundreds of pictures so this is a very limited selection, like many, ive been to Normandy a few times previously but the 75th event was extra special, the French had really put a superb effort into every detail, from signs of former service personal hanging from the street lighting to recognising the French resistance sacrifices , let alone the individuals who had bought vehicles along and created the 1940s theme, and everything inbetween.

We made our way down in a van, and from there made our way out to the various events/commemorations. My friend took his TDR250 and on the smaller , crowded back roads, it was superb...aside from the tank range !

My friend left for home on Saturday , where I made my way up to Ypres, in Belgium , visited some WW1 sites and took in the very famous Last Post at the Mennin gate.

All in all a very memorable and emotional trip, made extra special by meeting, talking to and listening to the stories of the gentleman who took part in the events on and just after D Day.

My journey home yesterday was in terrible weather! 270 miles of non stop rain, even my hair got wet , from the vents in my lid I think...!  That said, the S1 was superb eveywhere and felt happy even at three figures in the wet, it now lies filthy in the garage awaiting some TLC but its proved just how good it is over the last 900 miles in France.  I used my iphone as a satnav, downloading an app called Scenic, on occasion, I placed the phone in the clear top cover of the Givi bag, which was also a great bit of kit.

Online zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
Re: D Day and Ypres trip
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 04:31:28 PM »
Super jealous, I'd love to have the opportunity to visit those historical sites.

Thanks for sharing the pics of your trip.

Offline MA413

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 17S1KR
  • City / Town: New England
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 05:03:10 PM »
Those are some great pictures you took. Id say that was well worth the soaking on the ride home. :028:
17S1KR

Online Hooligan

• S1000R Pro
  • any day on 2 wheels is a good day
  • Bike: 18 S1KR sport
  • City / Town: Montreal
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 06:21:57 PM »
Great pics of what must have been an amazing trip. My wife and I are planning to visit the memorials this fall (sans bike unfortunately). My father in law served overseas with the Van Doos...Royal 22nd regiment.
There are so few of these heroes left to remind us of what a different world be living in without the commitment and sacrifice they gave with pride and without prejudice.

Thanks for bringing it front and center.   

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 08:46:54 AM »
Im glad you all enjoyed them...appreciate its a long way for many of you but we met some lovely people from all around the world, in previous years ive done much of the American focused beaches/areas but this year we was a bit nearer the British and Canadian areas so met with many Canadians who where staying on for a week or more after the events, plenty to see away from the main areas of interest .

Considering now going to the 75th anniversary of Arnhem in September..

Let us know what you think to Normandy when you get over Hooligan.

Offline Zig Zag

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Black Storm
  • City / Town: Virginia
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 03:01:48 PM »
I grew up hearing the stories from my Father. I lost him last year.
Great post, thanks for sharing the pics podders.
You should remember that its peace of mind youre after and not just a fixed machine.
Robert Persig

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor