Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: High intensity LED bulb / install  (Read 671 times)

Offline Lavaspit

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: San Francisco
High intensity LED bulb / install
« on: May 25, 2019, 12:55:46 AM »
Asked Motovation (a vendor I do loke) about some high intensity light solutions.  Their Answer:

In my experience HID and LED lights have ballasts and control units that overheat and fail (Along with being Bulky on the bike).

The Extreme White plus headlights have super crisp white light and they just drop into your housing like your OEM one.

You'll have to check which headlight bulb you have on your bike.

I think you have an H7 bulb but I can't be sure.

https://www.motovationusa.com/piaa-h7-xtreme-white-plus-headlight-bulb-70755.html

Do I have an H7 bulb?

How doable is this install?

Thanks

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
Re: High intensity LED bulb / install
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 01:26:05 AM »
*Originally Posted by Lavaspit [+]
Answer from Motovation:

In my experience HID and LED lights have ballasts and control units that overhead and fail (Along with being Bulky on the bike).

The Extreme White plus headlights have super crisp white light and they just drop into your housing like your OEM one.

You'll have to check which headlight bulb you have on your bike.

I think you have an H7 bulb but I can't be sure.

https://www.motovationusa.com/piaa-h7-xtreme-white-plus-headlight-bulb-70755.html

Do I have an H7 bulb?

Thanks

Yes, we have a H7 in the low beam and a HB3/9005 for the high beam. It is interesting his thoughts on HIDs, I have had HIDs on my bike since 2005. In fact, I think one of the ballast bulb combos I had in my K13S(now sold) had been running trouble free for 11 years(originally in a R12GS, then K12S , then K13S - totalling probably 65,000 miles)

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 02:21:53 AM »
To be sure I understand correctly, motovation is recommending this bulb:

"    https://www.motovationusa.com/piaa-h7-xtreme-white-plus-headlight-bulb-70755.html  "

I like the idea of a swap from current lack luster (oem) bulb to a much better one for night riding w/o making wiring changes to the bike.

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2015 S1000RS
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 08:33:15 AM »
I dont know what typical bulb costs are like in the US, but that PIAA bulb is very expensive by UK standards. PIAA always seem to fair pretty badly in headlight bulb tests (admittedly aimed at the car market, but an H7 bulb is an H7 bulb in any comparison test). To be fair, I dont think Ive seen that particular PIAA bulb on test, so maybe its a better product than the Hyper Arros which tends to perform worse than OE and be very variable from one bulb to the next.

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 11:54:14 AM »
Thank you for the feedback on these. I found one at amazon for $29.99 or something so may give it a try. The lights are the one thing that I am disappointed with on this bike and I don't want to do anything (wiring wise) that may give dealers a reason to deny a warranty claim should the need arise.

P.S. Hope I'm not swiping a thread here... seems like I'm at least still on topic at least :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 11:56:34 AM by windyrun »

Offline Lavaspit

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 05:38:13 PM »
My original ideas was a install a yelling  PIAA for the high-beam, but now Im thinking LED for the regular light is smarter.  I like to high beam people basically all the time so this might drown it out or just be a constant visual reminder Im coming, dont you f-I gotta turn left. From what Ive seen on YouTube its very bright.  But Ive also seen like red lights, and crazy off brand stuff on YouTube.  Im surprised  the moto world  hasnt caught up with the PC RGB thing.  Anyway I will probably try one of these too.

This does appear to be the amazon version that is indeed almost half price:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000TK5SHG/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Can anyone confirm?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 05:41:23 PM by Lavaspit »

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2015 S1000RS
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 06:36:06 PM »
Youre far safer riding on the assumption that no one has seen you than believing that trying to blind drivers with bright lights or wearing fluorescent riding gear will magically make you visible and thus avoid accidents.

Offline Lavaspit

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 06:10:35 AM »
Point taken but Man...I gotta tell you
- Ive Been riding in urban environments for 15 years.
 I hit the drivers who look like theyre gonna make a move with the hi-beam and in these parts it increases my percentages of avoiding those lefts, while keeping an eye on the front right car tire; and while assuming EVERYONE is born to [censored - unaccepatble, you risk being banned!] ] up.  Most mistakes drivers make- I wake  up knowing about it hours before they make it.  Im boosting the light the way you stand on 17...safe bet.

Offline MA413

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 17S1KR
  • City / Town: New England
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 12:39:45 PM »
I swear by HIDS and been using them for the last 15 years.  All points are valid but I would be hard pressed to give them up.  Too damn reliable for me but interested to see if this bulb is what they (Motovation) claim ,but Im a bit of a skeptic.
17S1KR

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 05:35:55 PM »
 :0461:

Recent Posts/Topics