Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gear shift lever adjustment (2019)  (Read 518 times)

Offline Igxom

• S1000R Junior
Gear shift lever adjustment (2019)
« on: May 10, 2019, 11:56:15 PM »
Hi everyone,

Have been lurking for a little while here doing research on the bike before purchasing a new 2019 s1000r sport recently. One question I have is about the gear shift lever adjustment. I have searched and seen previous threads and seen the reference and screenshots in the owners manual - but mine doesn't seem to mention it at all! Is it still possible to make an adjustment to the height of the lever on the latest bikes with the shift assist pro? I find the lever set a little too high making it hard to full engage for up shifts.

Offline Meguerra

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2016 BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Temecula
Re: Gear shift lever adjustment (2019)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 12:41:19 AM »
Back out #2 pull off #1 from spline and rotate clockwise to adjust shift lever down. 1 tooth at a time until you get to where you like it but don't go too far or you will loose too much leverage on the spline and it will make it harder to shift. 

You can shorten the shift assist pro sensor rod (#12) which will do the same thing but not by much as this picture shows.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 01:13:29 AM by Meguerra »

Offline Alan

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: BRISTOL
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 07:05:54 PM »
If you want to adjust the lever height, remove bolt no 2, pull lever no 1 off the splined shaft and rotate it one spline and see if that gives you the height you want. 

Offline MA413

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 17S1KR
  • City / Town: New England
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 12:17:31 AM »
^ thats how I did it when I installed my Knight Design pegs recently.  To bad the rear brake couldnt be adjusted the same.
17S1KR

Offline Alan

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 05:27:07 PM »
I have just done mine today and if all you want is about 10-12mm which I did, you can do that on the adjustment on the shifter rod itself.  It is unlike most shifter rods which have left hand and right hand threads so when you turn the rod one way it screws out and the other it screws in.  For some reason the BMW shifter rod has right hand threads both ends, so all I did was undo the lock nuts and back them off to the end of the thread, remove the connector block from the quick shifter and remove the bolt from the gear lever pivot.  I then just turned the shifter clock wise until the top joint was screwed all the way in.  I then turned the gear lever the same way until the bottom thread was screwed all the way in.  Re-attach the gear lever, tighten the lock nuts and reconnect the connector block.  Gear lever is now at a much better height

Offline Meguerra

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2016 BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Temecula
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 06:23:33 AM »
It's actually up to 25.4 mm of adjustment up or down using the shift rod method which is more than enough I think. I was also thinking it was only 12.7mm but I was not taking into account that the foot shift lever is 50mm further out from the pivot point. They made the lever so when you changed to GP shifting the foot lever would stay in the same spot you can see the GP shift mounting hole is slightly higher.

Offline Alan

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 09:38:49 AM »
It probably is something like that for the full range of adjustment, but I assume mine was set at the mid point so all I had available was about 10mm to lower the lever.  I did it very scientifically by standing a piece of wood next to the lever and marking it and then seeing where the lever ended up after adjustment.  It was enough for me as it put the lever where I wanted it.

Offline Igxom

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 06:17:30 PM »
Thanks!

I did this a few days ago using the first mentioned method, moving a spline over. Seemed to be just the right amount for me anyway and now much better. Thanks for the help!

Offline Alan

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 03:48:11 PM »
Just tried mine out following the adjustment.  Lowered by around 12mm and it's now perfect, much easier to snick up through the gears

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor