Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bike replacement dilemma.  (Read 314 times)

Offline Airsafari87

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Durham
Bike replacement dilemma.
« on: April 17, 2019, 11:27:23 AM »
I've been looking to change my bike recently and have kinda ended up with a bit of a dilemma. Ultimately, after trying out a few different bikes none of them compares to the S1000R and I am going to stick with it for now. But here is the dilemma.

Before i start I'll say that i really wanted a Triumph Speed Triple RS so i test rode one yesterday. Unfortunately I could only have it for an hour so I didn't really get time to know the bike properly. While riding it I thought that it could really be my next bike.
However.
As soon as I got off it and rode no more than 1 mile on my S1000R I knew that the BMW (for me) was the better bike on the whole.

My local BMW dealer is only down the road from the Triumph garage so I called in there to see if the had a R1250R in for me to try ... which they did! In M-Sport trim too so it had a few extra bits and pieces, one of which is the 'Hidden' sports screen display which shows maximum left and right lean angle, how much traction control intervention you have invoked and maximum braking force applied.
Now. Within 5 mins of riding this thing I was absolutely taking the pi$$ with it! It is such an phenomenal bike! Kinda like an S1000R but just softened off a tad.
I spent a good few hours riding that thing and I loved it. However the figures just didn't work for me, it was almost double per month what I'm paying for the S1000R and ultimately it's not twice the bike and doesn't justify that price increase.

Now here is where the dilemma begins.

The salesman I have always dealt with asked if I would even consider a brand new S1000R, which after all my other experiences (beyond what I've mentioned above) I really would. Nothing else out there floats my boat right now.

The deal I can get on a brand new bike will leaving me paying a few more quid per month than I am now but this could be offset by factors associated with my current bike.

It's a 2017 model in Catalano Grey and has 13500 miles on it now which is killing its value.

BMW will take my bike as it is and give me book value, so no deposit is carried over to a new one, but on the other hand neither is any finance shortfall carried over either.

It's due a service very soon which is around 200
Then in 5000 miles time (which I will hit by mid summer) it will require the valve clearance 'big service' which is around 500 I believe.

I'm desperate to get the Pilot Road 5's off that I fitted for winter so there's approx 300 in tyres saved.

It fell off the paddock stand a little while back and scuffed a couple of panels and covers. Which again will be around the 700 mark to replace.

It will also be out of warranty soon so I'd be looking to take out extra cover for that.

So do I.

Chop my 2017 bike in for a brand new 2019 and effectively start from ground zero again but have 3 years warranty and 3 years roadside assist?

Keep my current 2017 model for another year and then just hand it back to BMW as it is?

Anyone else been in a similar situation?

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
Re: Bike replacement dilemma.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 12:14:34 PM »
If it was me, in your shoes, looking at the future costs of your bike and further depreciation/service work, id buy a new 2019 S1000R

PS  As you know, I also wasnt overly struck with the Triumph either.

Why was the R1250 so much extra on the deal? List price is similar to the S1000R?

What APR did they offer you on the PCP deal?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 12:15:20 PM by podders »

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 12:56:00 PM »
Personally, if it were me I'd keep the 2017 for another year and hope that the new S1000RR stuff trickles down for the 2021 S1000R... but who knows if that will even happen?

Offline nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 02:24:06 PM »
I was in exactly the same boat - mileage, services due, the big one on valves, tyres, chain & sprocket within the year, warranty running out - I chopped in for a very nearly new Mk 2 (I was on the Mk 1)  - the only issue as mentioned above is whether to hang on for the new model but that could be at least 12-18 months way depending on official announcements (plus prices !).  A big one that ! Only you can answer  !     

Offline omar-iowa

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R
  • City / Town: Coralville, IA
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 03:42:34 PM »
If it was me, I'd keep your current bike.  From what I can tell, the short term costs are the 200 service and 300 tires.  You can cut the service costs in half if you do it yourself.  How many months of payments do you have left on your current bike?  When considering replacing it a with a newer bike, it's not just how much the payments are going up over your current payments, but how many months of payments you'll add.  Just my humble opinion.
Current: 2015 BMW S1000R, 2008 KTM 200 XC-W
Former: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
Instagram: @omar_iowa

Offline Airsafari87

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 08:47:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by podders [+]
If it was me, in your shoes, looking at the future costs of your bike and further depreciation/service work, id buy a new 2019 S1000R

PS  As you know, I also wasnt overly struck with the Triumph either.

Why was the R1250 so much extra on the deal? List price is similar to the S1000R?

What APR did they offer you on the PCP deal?

If I'd had more time with the Triumph I may have came away with a different impression. It was very telling when I jumped straight off that and back on to mine again and within half a mile it made me involuntarily shout out 'Ooooh you vicious little bas**rd' I knew right then that the S1000 was the bike for me.

The pricing structure on the R1250R has gone back to the typical old school BMW way of pricing, especially with their cars.
Indeed the list price of both bikes is very similar.
BUT ...
List price of the R1250R is for a basic standard bike.
Want electronic suspension? That is an additional cost option or part of a 1500 (iirc) pack.
Want all the riding modes? Same as above.
You only get the hidden sport menu if you but it in the horrible white M-Sport colours.
So basically to buy the bike I would want if have to have it in a colour I didn't like and spend an extra 1700 or so to get the spec I'd expect and one similar to the standard S1000 sport (minus tft of course) so that was the deal breaker for me.

Apr on the 1250 was 6.6%
S1000 was 5.5%

Offline Airsafari87

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 08:52:26 PM »
With regard to the 'New' S1000.

I had a lengthy chat with the guy at the dealership who has worked there for 18 years and had recently returned from some BMW corporate presentation.

Of course this doesn't mean a while deal, but he said that the new S1000R wasnt even mentioned during the presentation, it wasnt even aluded to.
It will be coming though because BMW arent going to continue to produce 2 different engines.

If a new bike was confirmed for 2020 then I'd wait. As it is I'm not going to hang on for something that 'might've happen.
If and when the new one is released I'll look at the figures at the time and see how they work then.

Online windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 04:15:32 AM »
Have you considered a tuono? Fun bikes to ride... or maybe a MT-10 (sp?)
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:16:08 AM by windyrun »

Recent Posts/Topics