Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Touring from Germany > Spain > UK - THEFT & CRIME  (Read 654 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline marcel-189

  • S1000R Member
  • **
  • Posts: 19
  • Country: de
Touring from Germany > Spain > UK - THEFT & CRIME
« on: March 20, 2019, 05:44:23 PM »
I'm leaving Germany in a couple of weeks and will be touring to Barcelona, live there for around 3 months and then move on to the UK to stay there for another 2 months.

I was really excited to take my new s1000r for a long trip. But ever since I watched "Look Inside Britain's Moped Crime Gangs"
I'm paranoid as hell to get my new bike stolen.

How do you guys deal with this? We have a beautiful and expensive motorcycle which catches not only the eyes of the regular volk.

While staying in Barcelona I have the option to rent a garage for 150 a month. Is this worth it for peace of mind?
I'm not only worried about theft but also about vandalism. Although I can't find much about Spain except some pick pocket issues in the big cities - the video made me paranoid.

I was planning to buy a cover, chain and some kind of tracker or alarm system. Are those really necessary?
Please let me know what you think!

How do you guys rate the probability of bike theft in Barcelona compared to London?

Thanks my friends!

Offline podders

  • S1000R Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 282
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
Re: Touring from Germany > Spain > UK - THEFT & CRIME
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 08:18:41 PM »
Its an issue but of recent, the police have clamped down a lot on these gangs, that said, if you can afford it, i would consider renting space in a storage/lock up in London.  Theres plenty of them about.
Or stay just outside of London and ride/train it in, much nicer roads for your bike too!


Offline marcel-189

  • S1000R Member
  • **
  • Posts: 19
  • Country: de
Re: Touring from Germany > Spain > UK - THEFT & CRIME
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 09:56:58 PM »
Thanks man! I'll probably stay out of London with my bike like you suggested. Not worth it to me and I also want to see more of your country.

Do you by any chance have any experience with BMWs alarm system dwa? Is it any good or are others better?
How do you go about securing yours?

Offline podders

  • S1000R Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 282
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
Re: Touring from Germany > Spain > UK - THEFT & CRIME
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 07:50:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by marcel-189 [+]
Thanks man! I'll probably stay out of London with my bike like you suggested. Not worth it to me and I also want to see more of your country.

Do you by any chance have any experience with BMWs alarm system dwa? Is it any good or are others better?
How do you go about securing yours?

My bike came with the BMW alarm but I asked for it to be switched off so no idea, IMHO people ignore them anyway, in any situation, locking the bike to an immovable object is best.

Drop me a PM with the dates your thinking of coming, if you can stay nearby me for a few days, I can  give you the low down on where may be of interest and head down into London for a ride with you.

Dont let security put you off exploring any country anyway.

Offline mel b

  • S1000R Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 209
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Leeds
Re: Touring from Germany > Spain > UK - THEFT & CRIME
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 08:35:21 AM »
I'll probably stay out of London, I also want to see more of your country.

You've got the right idea there mate.  :046:

Get up North, better roads and friendlier people.  :821:
Don't mess with the OLD FARTS - age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

Offline marcel-189

  • S1000R Member
  • **
  • Posts: 19
  • Country: de
Re: Touring from Germany > Spain > UK - THEFT & CRIME
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 07:32:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by podders [+]
My bike came with the BMW alarm but I asked for it to be switched off so no idea, IMHO people ignore them anyway, in any situation, locking the bike to an immovable object is best.

Drop me a PM with the dates your thinking of coming, if you can stay nearby me for a few days, I can  give you the low down on where may be of interest and head down into London for a ride with you.

Dont let security put you off exploring any country anyway.

Hey podders! Thanks for the offer! I'll get back to you as soon as I have dates!
Currently it's as vague as somewhere between August and October. What's the best time to visit in your opinion?


@mel b
I'm genuinely shocked by the videos on Youtube. It's probably not as bad as it looks like but some of the things that happened freak me out just by thinking about them.

How's the weather up north? I hope for as few rainy days as possible  :001:

Offline podders

  • S1000R Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 282
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
Re: Touring from Germany > Spain > UK - THEFT & CRIME
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 07:52:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by marcel-189 [+]
Hey podders! Thanks for the offer! I'll get back to you as soon as I have dates!
Currently it's as vague as somewhere between August and October. What's the best time to visit in your opinion?


@mel b
I'm genuinely shocked by the videos on Youtube. It's probably not as bad as it looks like but some of the things that happened freak me out just by thinking about them.

How's the weather up north? I hope for as few rainy days as possible  :001:

Well, generally August SHOULD be better than October but id recommend the earlier months as you'll have more day light to play with...If your coming over for a month or 2, do it in August anyway.

Weather is anyones guess!  Last couple of years have been fab but thats no guarantee 2019 will be another scorcher..

Youtube is made for dramatics and dramatic people, no matter what the subject, the day to day mundane of life ends up on facebook from what ive seen.


Offline mel b

  • S1000R Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 209
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Leeds
Re: Touring from Germany > Spain > UK - THEFT & CRIME
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 08:19:05 AM »
How's the weather up north? I hope for as few rainy days as possible

Hi Marcel - I agree with "podders"

There's no way you can predict the weather but at the time you will be here you should be ok.

It's like Scotland and Wales though, if you get good weather, Yorkshire has some great roads and scenery.

Wherever you end up visiting I hope you have an enjoyable and trouble free trip.

Ride safe  :305:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 08:22:50 AM by mel b »
Don't mess with the OLD FARTS - age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

Offline marcel-189

  • S1000R Member
  • **
  • Posts: 19
  • Country: de
Re: Touring from Germany > Spain > UK - THEFT & CRIME
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 08:58:32 AM »
Thanks you two! I really appreciate you helping me out. Now I'm definitely looking forward to visit!

Offline podders

  • S1000R Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 282
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
Re: Touring from Germany > Spain > UK - THEFT & CRIME
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 10:59:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by marcel-189 [+]
Thanks you two! I really appreciate you helping me out. Now I'm definitely looking forward to visit!

If for whatever reason, you need the bike shipping to and from the UK, from Germany, let me know, my friend runs a specialist bike transportation service and is always in Germany and Italy picking up and delivering bikes..

 


Recent Posts/Topics