Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Front Brakes Binding on  (Read 814 times)

Offline mel b

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Leeds
Re: Front Brakes Binding on
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 08:33:44 AM »
*Originally Posted by nrthrnbkr [+]
I'm just wondering if this is something peculiar to the 2017+ bike ? Pistons maybe ? My brakes started binding only 2-300 miles after picking up from the dealership (with a 1000 miles on it).  Rode in some salty and slightly damp conditions.

Coming up on 5,000 miles on my 2017 and no problems at all Jon.

Having said that unlike yours, mine doesn't like the rain and is parked up through winter.

I have noticed the huge lumps of rock salt used on the roads these days. I once had to take my car into a garage when it started making a horrendous noise when breaking and the alloy got red hot. The mechanic took the wheel off to investigate and found nothing. He put it down to rock salt / a stone which must have fell out when he removed the wheel.

Looks like your strip down and clean did a similar job.
Don't mess with the OLD FARTS - age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

Offline nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 09:22:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by mel b [+]
Coming up on 5,000 miles on my 2017 and no problems at all Jon.

Having said that unlike yours, mine doesn't like the rain and is parked up through winter.

I have noticed the huge lumps of rock salt used on the roads these days. I once had to take my car into a garage when it started making a horrendous noise when breaking and the alloy got red hot. The mechanic took the wheel off to investigate and found nothing. He put it down to rock salt / a stone which must have fell out when he removed the wheel.

Looks like your strip down and clean did a similar job.

Twas definitely strange Mel ! I had the Mk 1 did 11k on it and didnt touch the calipers (visually checked them during wheel/tyre change) and all fine ! Really strange ! Been fine on the Mk2 since - BTW the Mk2 is such a subtle but great improvement over the Mk1 - really enjoying it !
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 09:23:21 PM by nrthrnbkr »

Offline mel b

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Leeds
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2019, 12:46:41 PM »
BTW the Mk2 is such a subtle but great improvement over the Mk1 - really enjoying it !

Yeah me too, perfect replacement to the CB.
Don't mess with the OLD FARTS - age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

Offline StandrewsX

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2019, 01:58:35 PM »
The problem may just be the metal content of the friction material in the new pads?

Recent Posts/Topics