Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Front Brakes Binding on  (Read 815 times)

Offline Airsafari87

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Durham
Front Brakes Binding on
« on: March 18, 2019, 05:04:26 PM »
Over the past couple of weeks whenever the bike (2017 model, approx. 11k miles) has got wet either from washing or riding, and is then parked up in the garage for a couple of days the front brakes are binding on.
Yesterday was the worst, the bike has been parked up for a week and the front wheel was locked solid by the brakes.

Even once freed off the have locked back on again about half a mile down the road a couple of times.
I wasn't on the brakes either time, I was slightly leant over accelerating off a roundabout. The first time almost had me off as the front end completely dug in, and the rear came round on me. It was only my Marc Marquez like skills that kept me on the bike.

Anyone else experienced this? I assume it will be a warranty job?

The bike is ridden in wet and dry weather, but has spent 90% of the winter in the garage this year away from the road salt. Any time it has got salty it is always rinsed off with cold water before it's put away.

Front and rear pads were changed towards the end of the summer and have only done something like 1k miles at most.

Just to note that I have neither used any harsh chemicals around the callipers or blasted them with a jet wash while washing.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 05:06:09 PM by Airsafari87 »

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • City / Town: Oromocto
Re: Front Brakes Binding on
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 07:22:39 PM »
No such problems on my 2017, thankfully...

Not to question your technical abilities, but did you install the new brake pads yourself?

Offline nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 08:32:10 PM »
Yes ! Happened to me ! I bought my 2018 with 1000 miles on and at 1300 miles (not a typo!) front brakes seized.

Incredible. I took off the callipers and popped the pads out (quite easy).

I just carefully but closely cleaned up the pads (removed all road film, bits and grime) and scrubbed out the inside of the caliper and pistons as they sat.

I used a degreaser spray with a tooth brush and some fine scotch brite pads. All rinsed and assisted with brake cleaner.

Before and after below - just take apart and clean to an inch of its life ! Brakes spoton now !

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 08:37:38 PM »
Havent put aftermarket levers on it?

Also check the brake fluid level, if it was low before the pads where changed and the fluid was topped up, your recently fitted new (thicker)pads would force the pistons back in, which would mean the master cylinder is now to full, causing the brakes to drag slightly, heat up and then grab...

Lastly, if the pads are dragging due to sticking piston(s), the brakes again will heat up and then cause them to grab...easy things first , check fluid level, clean pistons/caliper...The dealer will charge you dearly for such basics so have a quick look yourself first.

It will be one of those 3 in 99% of cases..

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 08:39:32 PM »
northernbiker beat me to it.. :0461:

Offline Airsafari87

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 07:32:28 AM »
Cheers for the replies nrthrn & podders.

Just to clear up a few things.
Levers are still the standard factory fit ones.
Fluid level is as it should be, but I will double check that it's not slightly too full.
Calipers and pistons were cleaned as per nrthrn's post when I changed the pads.
I'm pretty sure the pads aren't dragging and heating up. I've been out for a few 150 mile + rides since fitting the new pads and there has never been any brake fade or grabbing issues during those rides.

Literally the only time they are sticking after being parked up for a few days. Once freed off the brakes remain as they should be for the remainder of the ride.

Due to being time poor I have booked the bike in to my local BMW dealer on Friday for them to check the bike over. I have a pretty good relationship with them and I am getting close to the point where I will likely be changing the bike (I've already registered an interest in the new S1000RR with them) so if it is just a quick clean and adjust required I may be able to persuade them to just do it while it's with them. If they aren't open to that I'll just take it away and have a look myself when I get time.

Offline Leighton1271

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: BMW S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Bristol
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 07:57:30 PM »
Did you get to the bottom of this problem, as I have exactly the same issue. Cheers.

Offline Airsafari87

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 09:17:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by Leighton1271 [+]
Did you get to the bottom of this problem, as I have exactly the same issue. Cheers.

I haven't stripped things down yet, it's on my list of things to do today.

But I have ridden approx 400 miles  on the bike since Thursday and they have been absolutely fine.

First ride out they were bound on as I left the garage. I free'd them off and then continued on my ride.  I rode approx 5 miles pretty gently and made sure I never touched the brakes, pulled in to a layby and felt the discs and calipers and they were both stone cold so I can now rule out any dragging.

Offline nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 07:37:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by Leighton1271 [+]

I'm just wondering if this is something peculiar to the 2017+ bike ? Pistons maybe ? My brakes started binding only 2-300 miles after picking up from the dealership (with a 1000 miles on it).  Rode in some salty and slightly damp conditions. Although I rinsed out the calipers after the ride they ended up bound.

The last Mk 1 I had I did two winters on and 11k miles and never touched the brakes (the pads were in fine fettle too).

I'll mention mine to the dealer which it has a service in May. 

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Pro
  • any day on 2 wheels is a good day
  • Bike: 18 S1KR sport
  • City / Town: Montreal
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 11:41:28 AM »
Maybe a moot point. did you clean the 2 surfaces of the discs? there can be an almost invisible film on them that may be a contributing factor. You can even try a bit of emery paper and sand them down to a like new surface.

Recent Posts/Topics