Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Home made windscreen and tail light cover  (Read 332 times)

Offline NinjaBlade

• S1000R Member
  • Life on two wheels is better.
  • Bike: 2016 S1000R
  • City / Town: Johannesburg
Home made windscreen and tail light cover
« on: March 01, 2019, 04:12:21 PM »
Have a look and let me know what you all think.
Perspex 3mm thick. Heated and treated
Perspex 500mm x 500mm x 3mm - free, cut off from signage place
you need oven, pre heat to 180degrees Celsius , bake the perspex for exactly 2minutes.
you need a mold(i used the stock tiny baby screen)
you need Welding gloves cause it is hot as hell when you take it out the oven then place it on your mold to make your shape.
Drilled the holes in carefully once it is set and cooled down, it is fragile, we broke cracked 2 screens
process is a bit incomplete, i will re-write so that everyone can understand how much work went into it

« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 04:20:03 PM by NinjaBlade »
Live life on two wheels. It will last longer

Offline starpower

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1KR, ZeroS
  • City / Town: Potter Valley
Re: Home made windscreen and tail light cover
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 05:10:40 PM »
Impressive workmanship! I would be concerned about the screen being fragile. Could a rock striking it cause it to shatter and send shrapnel into your neck?

Hows the aerodynamics working out?
"The most beautiful things in the world are those from which all excess weight has been eliminated" - Henry Ford I, 1893

Offline NinjaBlade

• S1000R Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 06:39:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by starpower [+]
Impressive workmanship! I would be concerned about the screen being fragile. Could a rock striking it cause it to shatter and send shrapnel into your neck?

Thanks, its pretty easy.
Aero is a little better. Im not sure about the shattering and gashing neck,sounds like final destination stuff, didnt even think of that. Might have to go with thicker next time. Or will have to somehow test. All depends on speed i guess. And if you hugging down on the tank.

Offline boxerkuh

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R;K75;R100R
  • City / Town: Carolina's
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 11:26:41 PM »
That is awesome. I would have never thought about making my own. I think 3mm is plenty thick, as I have read most screens are made out off 3mm, only Wunderlich uses 5mm. I would actually worry about the top curves. Read were a rider went down and went over the top and the top corner got him in the shoulder. Rounded may be better.

Offline NinjaBlade

• S1000R Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 05:04:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by boxerkuh [+]
That is awesome. I would have never thought about making my own. I think 3mm is plenty thick, as I have read most screens are made out off 3mm, only Wunderlich uses 5mm. I would actually worry about the top curves. Read were a rider went down and went over the top and the top corner got him in the shoulder. Rounded may be better.

I am enjoying the responses. 5mm would need more time in the oven and i think more difficult to shape.. My Friend has a genuine BMW screen. I might make a copy of that and change the shape just a little. So much cooler having your own design.. I was going to make the top curves sharper but thought of them poking me in the guts if i had to go over the bars. Thanks for another point to think about..

Offline MarketSquareHero

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Lancashire
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 06:23:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by starpower [+]

Looking on the brightside again mate :002:

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor