Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Extended Warranty  (Read 842 times)

Offline MikeO

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Kent
Extended Warranty
« on: February 26, 2019, 09:54:09 AM »
Hi everyone. My S1000r (17 model) is about to come out of warranty. Had a letter from BMW kindly asking if I wish to extend the warrany for 1 year. Cost 397 inc breakdown . Just wondered if anyone else has taken this out. My bike is not a everyday bike so repairs are not urgent. Im in the UK not that it matters. Is it worth it? . Cheers Mike  :002:

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
Re: Extended Warranty
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 10:33:49 AM »
Any insurance is worth it if it you need it...If it was a 2 years old Japanese bike, probably not....With these bikes, possibly yes...

That said, I think nigh on 400 is a piss take , my belief would be not to be expecting a major engine failure on a 2 year old bike (I know others have not been so lucky however) and if I did, id take that up with BMW.

400 will (I hope!) see you out of most of the common issues(water pump/ignition etc) and I have home/European breakdown with my insurance company so my thought process would lead me to decide not take it up.

No wrong or right answer,  that's just my attitude to the risk, yours(and others) will be different so im afraid only you can really decide.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 10:34:34 AM by podders »

Online nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 10:59:02 AM »
I love the BM but it has a track record of issues which are not really in the realm of DIY fixes and I'll be unlikely to own one that isn't under warranty - If you strike a deal on a service and warranty extension it might be more palatable - as highlighted it might depend on your mileage and use  and as Podders has stated you may wish to instead 'self-insure' by putting the money to one side just in case .   

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2015 S1000RS
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 01:50:53 PM »
Do a search for extended warranty and have a read of the many, many posts that discuss the same question.

And to all you guys and girls who took an extended warranty: it would be really informative if youd tell us all what work youve had done on your bikes under the warranty?

Offline starpower

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: '14 S1KR, ZeroS
  • City / Town: Potter Valley
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 05:46:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by SimonS1KR [+]
Do a search for extended warranty and have a read of the many, many posts that discuss the same question.

And to all you guys and girls who took an extended warranty: it would be really informative if youd tell us all what work youve had done on your bikes under the warranty?

Fork seals and switch cluster.
"The most beautiful things in the world are those from which all excess weight has been eliminated" - Henry Ford I, 1893

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Pro
  • any day on 2 wheels is a good day
  • Bike: 18 S1KR sport
  • City / Town: Montreal
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 06:15:37 PM »

Water pump and fork seals to date

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2015 S1000RS
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 06:25:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hooligan [+]
Water pump and fork seals to date

The question was aimed at people whove had work done under the EXTENDED warranty, to help judge whether its worth the outlay. As you have a 2018 bike, your work would have been done under the ORIGINAL warranty that comes with the bike?

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Pro
  • any day on 2 wheels is a good day
  • Bike: 18 S1KR sport
  • City / Town: Montreal
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 06:30:01 PM »
The question was aimed at people whove had work done under the EXTENDED warranty, to help judge whether its worth the outlay. As you have a 2018 bike, your work would have been done under the ORIGINAL warranty that comes with the bike?
:430: absolutely correct. apologies. FWIW, I did purchase the extended warranty with the bike.

Offline MarketSquareHero

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Lancashire
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 08:20:10 PM »
It wasn't for me at the time.
What about in another year,do you get it again or is it only offered once.
Surely the older the bike gets the more you will need it.
I don't take extended warranty out on anything but that's just me.
You take your chance.

Offline JaseG

• S1000R Pro
  • Its not about going fast, but about having fun.
  • Bike: '17 S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Hedon
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 08:34:41 AM »
Yikes.  I have just read the warranty extension letter. Now that is much more than I was expecting.

I need to make this decision today. Its a tough one too. It is a lot to pay for one more year (I will change bike next year), but under warranty I have had a new display/CPU fitted, which would have cost much more than the 400.

Decisions, Decisions.... :(
Kawasaki Z1000SX Tourer (Blue / Black) MY16
BMW S1000R Sport (Red / Black) MY17
BMW M4 (F83) CP

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor