Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Heated grip failure  (Read 361 times)

Offline razz

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R sport
Heated grip failure
« on: February 22, 2019, 10:35:15 AM »
2016 S1000R...
Whilst out for a ride last weekend with the heated grips on, I noticed my right had was getting cold.  On inspection I found that the throttle grip was stone-cold whilst the clutch grip was toasty.

I guess that the heated grip has failed.  Has anyone else had this?  Is there anything I should check before I head off to the dealer to order a new one?  Are they easy to fit, or best left to the dealer?

Online SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
Re: Heated grip failure
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 12:44:57 PM »
They are pretty easy to fit, though you will need a small torx(8 or 9) to remove the bottom of the switch housing to be able to unplug the heated grip adn a big torx(45?) to take the bar end off. It should not take a dealer tech more than 15 minutes.

Offline starpower

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: '14 S1KR, ZeroS
  • City / Town: Potter Valley
Re: Heated grip failure
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 06:01:39 PM »
Thats going to be a pricey part! I would explore a repair, likely a loose or broken wire/connection. Certainly not for everyone as it can be delicate but you have nothing to lose in trying. Heated gloves are likely much cheaper and work on all bikes!
"The most beautiful things in the world are those from which all excess weight has been eliminated" - Henry Ford I, 1893

Offline CrazyBiker

• S1000R Master
  • Faster Smoother!
  • Bike: S1R, S1RR
  • City / Town: Fremont, CA
2014 S1000R Premium White
Akra GP Slip On|Ohlins Damper|Ermax pan|Tecbike CAT|Bestem Fender|V-stream screen|Wunderlich Seat|360+R&G LED signals|R&G+Puig Protection
2012 S1000RR Premium Motorsport 
Brocks CT Full System|GPR Damper|Elka Stg3|Sato rearsets|Bestem Cowl|Sargent Seat|Puig Screen|Woodcraft+GB protection|MD signals
H&B panniers on both

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor