Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Seat modification  (Read 535 times)

Offline boxerkuh

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R;K75;R100R
  • City / Town: Carolina's
Seat modification
« on: February 17, 2019, 08:33:23 PM »
Greetings, just to give you a little back ground... I am a rounder. I have two additional bikes in the garage and I now have the difficult task of choosing which bike to ride. It is a nice problem to have. I am blessed.

I bought the S in November 2018 used, with less than 900 miles on it and I bought it to have fun on the commute to work, a hooligan bike if you will. Never had this much power, new to the canbus system and according to my brother had to come into this century.

Anyway, the stock seat blows. It is the only way I can describe it. If you don't like the ergonomics off the bike you need to check this website out:

cycle-ergo.com 

It is a website that has a multitude to bikes downloaded. I ride with the tankbag on the all my bikes and use the same bag on all my bikes. It is great to lean on to give me that extra wind protection and lazy riding attitude when I am on the interstate with the cruise control so that I can hold on to my license. I have a seriously hard time to keep it under 100mph.

Here are the changes that I have made for ergonomics so far: added the 20mm Wunderlich bar raisers, which did the trick for me. I did not have to come back. I love them. Although cycle-ergo.com did not show a difference, I can feel it.
I also installed a set of Buell pegs for $99 which pull the stock pegs down a bit and a bit back. I believe enough for me, as my knee's generally don't give me trouble. I will keep you posted on that after a few 100 miles. My issue is really my right hip (30 years ago a sports injury and get older blows)
I also gave my seat to my custom seat guy, who is local, who has build seats for me before. I love the custom touch. I thought I needed it to be lowered, but after going on the cycle-ergo website learned that I needed to go up, due to hip issues. He took my firm stock seat and added me one inch off softer foam on top and he could reuse the stock cover. I feel the difference and test sitting proves to be a positive difference.

I will ride the bike and update you with information. My goal is to ride through 3 or 4 tanks a day without issues. He told me that we can go even higher and that he would have to make a new cover for it or we could also do a gel insert. We will do this over time... I will ride it and if we need to change it, we can. So far I am $100 into the seat change and it looks stock and feels a lot better.

I am not done with the bike... a few more changes to come.... I will keep you posted. Keep the rubber side down

Online SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
Re: Seat modification
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 10:20:56 PM »
Interesting that you considered the stock seat 'firm' as my impression was the exact opposite. I found the foam used to be so soft that when I sat on it it compressed completely that I ended up sitting on the pan. I guess in effect this gives the impression of being firm. I have Sargent seat and can definitely say that the foam is 'stiffer' than the OEM seat, but this makes it more supportive and therefore comfortable(for me)

Offline boxerkuh

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R;K75;R100R
  • City / Town: Carolina's
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 10:28:37 PM »
I should have taken your advise and come up and visited you already, to meet you in person and to "test sit" the Sargent seat. However, my work hours and in patience stood in the way. I will see how the seat works out and you are still on my list to visit this spring as the first "long trip" 120 miles there and back should tell me what I need to know about the seat. Thank you for all your help. You have been told in the past to be valuable to the this forum, but it needs to be mentioned again. Your wealth of information is greatly appreciated. Thank you for all you do!!!

Keep the rubber side down!!!

Offline MA413

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 17S1KR
  • City / Town: New England
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 02:51:25 PM »
Im a big Chungus   :001:as my 12 year old son calls me and the stock seat and ergos are spot on for me.  Im 62 and weigh 258lbs.  Coming from Hayabusas this bike feels fantastic.  I have to test out a ride longer than 20 miles to see what my rump can tolerate but good so far.
17S1KR

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor