Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Comfort Seat  (Read 595 times)

Offline Skymong

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Oxford
Comfort Seat
« on: February 17, 2019, 08:14:02 PM »
Can anyone recommend a comfort seat, as in, BMW's own brand, Wunderlich, Sargent, Etc? I've heard varied stories from people and wonder what peoples views are. Also if anyone has any links to sites or companies that don't charge a fortune?

Thanks.   

Online zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
Re: Comfort Seat
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 08:23:55 PM »
I personally wasn't fond of the comfort seat...  I found it was actually harder than the OEM seat.

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2015 S1000RS
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 08:34:53 PM »
Do a search of the forum, seats have been a popular subject of debate since the R first launched so theres plenty to read.

But spoiler alert... there is no best seat out there. I like the BMW comfort seat but you can already see that Zombie doesnt. I thought the Sargent seat on my last bike was rubbish, but others on here like the Sargent seat for the R. As someone once said, one mans armchair is another mans park bench...

Offline Meguerra

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2016 BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Temecula
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 08:47:32 PM »
Stock seat I last 1hr until the pain sets in. BMW comfort seat I last 2hrs. I like the increased seat height on this one good for tall riders. Saddlemen GP-V1 seat 2hrs nice grippy seat but not so much that you have a hard time moving side to side for hard cornering. Perfect amount of grip. Sargent seat I last the longest 4hrs +. By far the most comfortable seat I have tried mostly due to the wide cup like shape of the seat for my 250lb arse.

https://www.sargentcycle.co.uk/acatalog/sargent-bmw-s1000rr-2015-motorcycle-seat.html
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 09:21:58 PM by Meguerra »

Offline Cobroll

• S1000R Junior
  • City / Town: Abingdon
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 09:01:29 PM »
My vote is definitely for the bmw comfort over the sergeant or standard seat, I've tried them all and it is my favourite by a country mile!

Offline boxerkuh

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R;K75;R100R
  • City / Town: Carolina's
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 10:03:27 PM »
My vote is for a custom seat... every time

Reasoning: I think there are too many variances, such as leg length, torso length, weight, ailments in knee's, hips, lower back, all or some... therefore what is good for one, the next will dislike. Also, foot peg location and handlebar reach will all play a factor as well. The S will never be a luxury liner. Using the http://cycle-ergo.com website will help. I thought I would have liked the Sargent seat it being lowered, but it would have but too much stress on my hip and I actually needed to come up. My upholster told me that the stock seat uses very firm foam and that he recommended using it. He reshaped the front of the seat a little bit and added 1" off softer foam on top. I will try and see how that does. He can continue to modify, to see if I need to go even higher, maybe insert a gel pad and then more foam on top. So, I will be riding it for a while, and if need be we can make changes, until I am happy or my hips will be happier. It will take me a couple of thousand miles to figure out. Time well spend.

But in his words: "I can't make a barstool any more comfortable." It is all a compromise. If I need to ride cross country, I am not riding the S, I am taking one off my other bikes. 

Recent Posts/Topics