Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: LED light conversion - halogen standing lights?  (Read 308 times)

Offline boxerkuh

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R;K75;R100R
  • City / Town: Carolina's
LED light conversion - halogen standing lights?
« on: February 17, 2019, 05:54:44 PM »
Greetings,
I have been doing a lot, I mean a lot of reading how to convert the low and high beam to LED lights. I have even printed out the tech print (step by step instructions) and will be wiring it so that the low beam will always be on. I will be ordering parts this week and hope to do it in March.

Do you really need the two standing lights? I have read that they will look yellow with the LED's installed and they are partly in the way, I have also read that some (as I thought) replace them with LED's but they seem to burn out too fast. In my K bike I removed the standing 10 watt or 5 watt bulb with no issue. In my Airhead I actually put a 10 watt halogen bulb in that is bright enough during the day for me not to run my headlight, but I also have an European headlight on/off switch. I was just thinking of removing them while I am in there.

Do I need them? Why? I am an Airhead at heart and less is more; I know it is just 2 small bulbs. However, I ride one way to work always in the dark and the low/high stock beams are not cutting it. That is why I already installed a pair of LED running lights that are believe it or not are brighter than the low beam.

Please advise.

BTW thank you for an awesome forum, awesome video's that are down loaded so that a noob like me (a true Airhead) may slowly learn about all this new technology. Thank you for your help and wisdom in advance. Keep the rubber side down.

Offline boxerkuh

• S1000R Member
Re: LED light conversion - halogen standing lights?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 07:35:35 PM »
After reading PEETI's manual for the up tenth time, I have another question. I have a PDM in place. How would the wiring be different than using the BMW accessory wire. Please advise.

Although my brother is an electrician and he will be doing the wiring, I want to give him all the help I can. Thank you for your help.

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 07:36:56 PM »
I am not entirely sure what you mean by 'do you need to 2 small standing lights'? 'Need' is a personal thing! If you remove the 2 park bulbs, you will get an error on the dash, this can however be turned of in the setup menu(though I guess there will still be an error in the ECU when the dealer connects to the computer).
I have run an LED park light that matches my HID in both low and high since I got the bike. The low beam park is still the same bulb that I put in 4 years ago, I did however have to replace the high beam park a couple years ago, but this was after a 6 hour ride in the rain during which time the high beam HID was on full time.

these are the LED park lights I put in - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JIEX722/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 07:39:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by boxerkuh [+]
After reading PEETI's manual for the up tenth time, I have another question. I have a PDM in place. How would the wiring be different than using the BMW accessory wire. Please advise.

Although my brother is an electrician and he will be doing the wiring, I want to give him all the help I can. Thank you for your help.

You will not need a relay or the BMW accessory wire. The positive for the low beam will come from one of the PDM60 channels, and the ground wire direct to the battery.

Offline boxerkuh

• S1000R Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 07:49:17 PM »
Simon UK: thank you for your help. So the first question that I had was answered. The 2 small standing lights you have replaced would give me an error code if I took them out all together and that I did not know. This is my first Canbus system vehicle and I was not sure about that. So either choice that I have is to leave the current halogen in or replace them with LED's that might fail or not.

My next question is how the wiring is going to be different using the PDM instead of the accessory wire that Peeti used and Simon UK to the rescue again.

And since we are on the subject and I have not bought the LED's any recommendations? I have narrowed it down to Cyclops and the Flux Beam X OPT 7. Cyclops appear to be changing there's soon looks like to a metal fan cooling unit. I am planning on calling them both this week and try to get the specific's.

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 10:14:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by boxerkuh [+]
So either choice that I have is to leave the current halogen in or replace them with LED's that might fail or not.

You can remove them and turn off the LAMPF! that will be displayed(it is in the rider manual how to do this). The error in the ECU is inconsequential and do snow do anything.

Sorry, cannot help out on LED. I have HIDs fitted, but may plan on going the LED route in future(if my HIDs give up the ghost!)

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor