Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2017 Final Drive Kit Suppliers UK & Chain Breaker / Riveting Tool  (Read 683 times)

Offline Airsafari87

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Durham
Hi all,

It's time to replace the OEM chain and sprockets on my 2017 bike.

I intend to keep the standard gearing and want steel sprockets too. An upgrade in quality over OEM would be nice too.

Other than ebay (I don't have an ebay account) where have those in the UK been buying their kits from?
I'd much rather have quality items over shiny tarts handbag items too.

Also chain splitting / riveting tools? Any recommendations on those too?

Cheers.

Online nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: 2017 Final Drive Kit Suppliers UK & Chain Breaker / Riveting Tool
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 07:16:31 PM »
Hi There - sprockets wise I go OEM - it's steel and good gear and fits exactly !

Chain wise I just get a premium brand - X ring seems the go to style at top of the range - I tried gold chains a few times but the gold finish just comes off over time - so a nice steel finish is what I go for - brands I've tried are Renthal and Tsubaki.

I avoid Ebay as you just have no idea if the parts are genuine so I've used SportsbikeShop a couple of times, but I have also used  B&C Express.

In terms of removal, once you are sure you have all the parts and kit, I dremel the chain off and then use a Whale brand riveting tool - it's about 70 but lasts a lifetime and you have no doubt it is rivetted correctly.

http://www.jesterstrickbits.co.uk/products/Whale-brand-riveting-tool-for-520%2C-525%2C-530-and-532-sizes.html

Also note you will need a link plate compressing tool - when you assemble the rivet link you cannot push fit it together by hand - you also need a tool that clamps the whole link - you turn a clamp which compresses the plates together .

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0070-Chain-Press/dp/B000WJEIZM

Like I say make sure you have everything you need ! Once you start you're pretty committed !

(links above just to illustrate!)

Online zombie

• S1000R Master
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 08:10:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by Airsafari87 [+]
It's time to replace the OEM chain and sprockets on my 2017 bike.

Umm...  how many miles have you put on a 2017 for it to be time to replace your chain and sprockets already?  My 2017 chain and sprockets look like new, although I've only got around 6k miles on it.

Online nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 08:43:20 PM »
Hi there - I did 11.5k miles on my last S1R and there was still life left in it - I reckon 12-18k depending on ride style and chain care is all doable - the BMW oem gear seems pretty good!

Offline Airsafari87

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 05:40:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by zombie [+]
Umm...  how many miles have you put on a 2017 for it to be time to replace your chain and sprockets already?  My 2017 chain and sprockets look like new, although I've only got around 6k miles on it.

12k miles

Offline Airsafari87

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 05:42:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by nrthrnbkr [+]
Hi There - sprockets wise I go OEM - it's steel and good gear and fits exactly !

Chain wise I just get a premium brand - X ring seems the go to style at top of the range - I tried gold chains a few times but the gold finish just comes off over time - so a nice steel finish is what I go for - brands I've tried are Renthal and Tsubaki.

I avoid Ebay as you just have no idea if the parts are genuine so I've used SportsbikeShop a couple of times, but I have also used  B&C Express.

In terms of removal, once you are sure you have all the parts and kit, I dremel the chain off and then use a Whale brand riveting tool - it's about 70 but lasts a lifetime and you have no doubt it is rivetted correctly.

http://www.jesterstrickbits.co.uk/products/Whale-brand-riveting-tool-for-520%2C-525%2C-530-and-532-sizes.html

Also note you will need a link plate compressing tool - when you assemble the rivet link you cannot push fit it together by hand - you also need a tool that clamps the whole link - you turn a clamp which compresses the plates together .

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0070-Chain-Press/dp/B000WJEIZM

Like I say make sure you have everything you need ! Once you start you're pretty committed !

(links above just to illustrate!)

Cheers.

That whale brand tool is the one I had been looking at.

Just need to set some time aside next weekend to get it changed now.

Offline CrazyBiker

• S1000R Master
  • Faster Smoother!
  • Bike: S1R, S1RR
  • City / Town: Fremont, CA
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 03:20:43 AM »
Create an ebay account. I bought the full chain sprocket kit with gold DID VX chain and JT sprockets with chain breaker and riveting tool for $138 shipped to USA.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 03:25:03 AM by CrazyBiker »
2014 S1000R Premium White
Akra GP Slip On|Ohlins Damper|Ermax pan|Tecbike CAT|Bestem Fender|V-stream screen|Wunderlich Seat|360+R&G LED signals|R&G+Puig Protection
2012 S1000RR Premium Motorsport 
Brocks CT Full System|GPR Damper|Elka Stg3|Sato rearsets|Bestem Cowl|Sargent Seat|Puig Screen|Woodcraft+GB protection|MD signals
H&B panniers on both

Offline Airsafari87

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 08:16:17 PM »
I went OEM in the end.

I was in the BMW dealership on Saturday having a look around to see if anything could take my eye as a replacement for my current S1000 and just decided to get the parts I needed while I was there.

Ordered a chain tool from sportsbikeshop which should be here tomorrow. Plan is to get it fitted Friday, Kill off these Pilot Road 5's before the warm weather returns properly and get some Power RS's fitted to it once again.

Online nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 08:15:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by Airsafari87 [+]
I went OEM in the end.

I was in the BMW dealership on Saturday having a look around to see if anything could take my eye as a replacement for my current S1000 and just decided to get the parts I needed while I was there.

Ordered a chain tool from sportsbikeshop which should be here tomorrow. Plan is to get it fitted Friday, Kill off these Pilot Road 5's before the warm weather returns properly and get some Power RS's fitted to it once again.

I have to say that the BMW standard C&S kit seems to stand out as good quality gear - lasts well and responds well to maintenance in terms of longevity. Sounds like a good choice !

Offline Airsafari87

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 08:25:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by nrthrnbkr [+]
I have to say that the BMW standard C&S kit seems to stand out as good quality gear - lasts well and responds well to maintenance in terms of longevity. Sounds like a good choice !

Exactly.
I had no problems with the OEM stuff, I am just one of these people who likes to try different things out occasionally hence me looking further afield.

My original chain etc has lasted for almost 12k miles over the last year and half and has been ridden hard and in all weathers so I can't really complain about it.
All these gold chains and shiny sparkly sprockets hold no interest to me, my bike is for riding, not parking up somewhere pretty to take and post photos to Instagram.

Recent Posts/Topics