Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Oil seeping between oil sump and engine block  (Read 388 times)

Offline pcoburn

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: '14 S1000R
  • City / Town: Leesburg, VA
Oil seeping between oil sump and engine block
« on: February 20, 2019, 04:35:57 PM »
I tried searching but too many thread on the oil sump plug so apologies if this is already asked/answered!

I'm getting some oil seeping between the oil sump and engine block on the front left side.  I've cleaned the area of twice now and I'm not seeing any other places it could be coming from and migrating to that seam.  Is this a common issue? 

Looks like the exhaust has to come off to drop the sump so will have to look at the instructions there.  I usually use Permatex Rite Stuff (gray) for this type of thing - any recommendations on something else I should be using?

Offline mel b

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Leeds
Re: Oil seeping between oil sump and engine block
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 09:10:11 AM »
Just an idea for you to check first.

I clean down my chain (with paraffin) and lube it religiously after every couple of rides.
Once I found a similar issue, which turned out to be the paraffin breaking down the lube/grease which had been flung off the front sprocket.
This was then dripping down the front left on the engine and onto the cat.

Hopefully yours is a simple fix too.  :028:
Don't mess with the OLD FARTS - age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

Offline pcoburn

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: '14 S1000R
  • City / Town: Leesburg, VA
Re: Oil seeping between oil sump and engine block
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 02:33:35 PM »
Based on the location I don't think it is coming from the chain.  I'd  thoroughly cleaned the area with brake clean and hadn't ridden it before checking again and was seeing some oil at that seam.  The leak is pretty far forward too, but a good suggestion on the chain - when I bought the bike, the rear wheel was coated in a layer of waxy oil that I'm pretty sure was from the chain.

Recent Posts/Topics