Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Leaking forks  (Read 8267 times)

Offline Fistuk

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2014 S1000R
  • City / Town: Tel-Aviv
Re: Leaking forks
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2016, 07:26:23 AM »
Tuesday morning, heading to work, while unlocking the bike I detect a pool of oil underneath the left fork. At closer inspection I find that the left fork is leaking. As I always park at the same spot, I am sure that this is a new leak. No signs of oil on the forks before that at all.

Went to the dealer's - they immediately assured me (even before I asked) that it is fully covered by warranty  :001:

Picked up the bike this morning, oil seal replaced on the left fork and both forks have had their oil changed. Bike as good as new and no cost (to me).  13500 Km on the clock, would have expected the seals to last longer but pleasantly surprised with BMW for covering this.

Offline Fistuk

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2014 S1000R
  • City / Town: Tel-Aviv
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2016, 06:51:37 PM »
Looks like we are not alone... just came across this: http://www.s1000xr.uk/index.php/topic,532.0.html in our sister XR forum

Offline Raisa_c

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Bucharest
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2019, 08:27:24 AM »
Guys. i hope i will soon be able to post in other sections than mechanical issues :) over this winter i left my SKR on both front and back stands (about a month and a half or so)and a few days ago, checking on it, i noticed a little pool of oil underneath the greasy oily left fork. i freaked out a bit, having 14k km on it (and never having a bike under 40k km with fork leaks before),took it off the stands and cleaned the oil up, compressed it a few times, rode it like 1km around the parking space and gave it a rest. it's a bit cold to go to the dealer yet and i'm sure they will want to change my fork oil and sealing per primam.
Someone said it was "allowed" to lose some oil, but how much? i estimate my loss at about 20 ml, is the computer supposed to announce me if the pressure in the forks is uneven? If the leak was from dust and prolonged pressure on the same spot and if it stopped, am I still to change the oil and sealing?
last summer i was on a longer trip with my Triumph Tiger fully loaded with bags and my husband as passenger and we had a fork leak while on an small Aegean island with no bike services, and i used an improvised Seal Mate from a plastic cup, cleaned the dust and debris and the solved the leak with no problems after, and no changing of the sealing. but i think i lost slightly less oil then.
So...how much can i loose and still be in parameters?
The official BMW dealer here is not to be relied upon...

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2019, 12:30:49 PM »
I know everyone tends to say it's just the vocal minority who report all these various problems with the BMW "S" bikes (or any bike, really), but I find it quite alarming how poor the build quality appears to be and how horrid the dealer support it when problems are encountered.

Offline Raisa_c

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Bucharest
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2019, 12:48:55 PM »
Indeed, where the hell is the good-german quality build and materials? And i honestly never had a bile with so manycharacteristic flaws such as rough gear shifts, bad neutral, hell-blazing heat, faulty sensors(i wont begin here), bad water pump, now so many of us reporting fork leaks and btw i never used it elsewhere but in roads with decent asphalt, never pushing it, no track days- i never got to them, seemed the bike always had something that stood in the way. As for the customer service, the amont of craр i changed and apparently for nothing...
Its the overall feeling and excitement you get while riding it that make us love this bike, but i am dissapointed in bmw more than i ever thought i will.
So i checked the manual and i found the fork oil capacity on the left is 560ml aprox and 580 on the right arm. And nothing about electronic info on the pressure. I guess 20-30 ml loss isnt that much, but...what do you think?

Online SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2019, 01:00:49 PM »
I have had my S1kR standing up on stands for longer than that, so I don't think it is a time sensitive thing. do you have any way of lifting the front of the ground so that you can fully extend the forks? If you can , you will be able o check the fork leg for any nicks in the coating, or particles that may have caused the seal to leak. Maybe the leg just needs wiping/cleaning. btw, there is no 'alarm' on the fork legs.

Recent Posts/Topics