Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Leathers in the UK - perf or non-perf  (Read 410 times)

Offline BikerTim

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: red/black 2017
  • City / Town: Poole
Leathers in the UK - perf or non-perf
« on: February 09, 2019, 07:17:35 PM »
I'm going to splash out on some new leathers. How useful are perforated leathers, given our crap climate in the UK? I want them for occasional track days and general scratching around at the weekend. I have mesh gear from touring the South of France last year for hot weather. The store hold stock of perforated suits but has to order up non-perf from the suppliers. What do you think UK guys?

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2015 S1000RS
  • City / Town: Somerset
Re: Leathers in the UK - perf or non-perf
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 10:20:25 PM »
I had the same dilemma when I bought my last set of leathers... which was a beautiful made-to-measure BKS one-piece, a good 20 years ago now. In the end I went perforated and was glad I did as the air flow provided very welcome relief over the summer months. I still remember feeling like I was being cooked at every set of traffic lights until I could start moving again and get that air flowing. You can get wind proof base layers these days that would probably extend wearability into the spring and autumn months when temperatures arent quite so high.

For full disclosure, I havent worn leathers for many years now as I find textiles much more practical for my kind of riding... which doesnt include track days.

Offline BikerTim

• S1000R Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 01:57:23 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Yes, wind-proof base layer would work to extend the season.

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 08:13:20 PM »
That all depends on what our Summer is like really doesn't it?

2018 was glorious but in 2012 /13 it was a Summer for waterproofs.

I have perforated leathers and do find them a bit "breezy" on all but the hottest days, dont forget the leg/thigh area will also be perforated and that was a sensation that took a little getting used too! 

I would go for quality and fit over perforation anyway.

Offline BikerTim

• S1000R Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 10:46:04 PM »
Thanks for your advice. Mmm, thighs - hadnt thought of my thighs :002:

Online SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 11:12:15 PM »
At the end of the day it is all down to personal preference. I have some top line textiles, but I find myself pretty much always dining my leathers(perforated), even down at freezing point. I just find the leathers so much more comfortable, and I(imho) feel that they offer much better protection. I do have heated liners that I wear underneath, but when really cold I just put a lightweightrain(windproof) jacket over the top.

Offline BikerTim

• S1000R Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 04:41:25 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys. I've gone for the perforated on the principle that you can make a cold suit warmer with layers but you cant make a hot suit cooler. Cheers

Offline bikerlad

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport,FZ1
  • City / Town: Surrey
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 05:47:24 PM »
Back in the day when the 2nd gen FZ1 Fazer came out, not only did I treat myself to one but I also renewed all my leathers: Alpinestars perforated summer jacket and perforated jeans. Summer 2006. Running bike in. Gloriously hot day. Stuck in traffic. No room to filter. Sky becomes very dark and soon I was encased in torrential rain. I can't quite forget the feeling of cold water running down my body and into crotch. Perforations do have their downside!

Offline CrazyBiker

• S1000R Master
  • Faster Smoother!
  • Bike: S1R, S1RR
  • City / Town: Fremont, CA
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 08:32:17 PM »
Owned a 07 FZ1 for 9 years! What a great allround bike!
2014 S1000R Premium White
Akra GP Slip On|Ohlins Damper|Ermax pan|Tecbike CAT|Bestem Fender|V-stream screen|Wunderlich Seat|360+R&G LED signals|R&G+Puig Protection
2012 S1000RR Premium Motorsport 
Brocks CT Full System|GPR Damper|Elka Stg3|Sato rearsets|Bestem Cowl|Sargent Seat|Puig Screen|Woodcraft+GB protection|MD signals
H&B panniers on both

Recent Posts/Topics