Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Triple starting  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Lavaspit

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: San Francisco
Triple starting
« on: February 04, 2019, 12:59:04 AM »
I usually sh#t my Bike off by throwing the stand, which leaves me in 1st when I start up again.  Lately when I clutch in I have to try the starter 3 times.  Its not that its stuttering, I just have to ritualistically try theee times.  Maybe this has something to do with recent rain?  I have no issues starting in neutral.

Offline miles

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: A red one
  • City / Town: San Diego, CA
Re: Triple starting
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 01:20:45 AM »
Rain?  What rain?  We live in California.  It never rains here.
Just keep your head held high
Kiss your fist and touch the sky

Offline Lavaspit

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 01:31:54 AM »
Ive been posting from my phone in the bathtub lately, so sorry about the typos. 

I am in fact talking about shutting off my bike, not shitting off my bike.

Offline beech

• S1000R Master
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $50
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 06:21:44 PM »
Go back to using your key to shut down for awhile and see how it goes. I have been involved with two dealers that tell folks to stop using their kill switch for normal shutdown do to what you are experiencing. Something akin to turning off your computer by pulling the power plug rather than letting it shut down by using the normal shut off function .
Also some of the older F, R and S bikes (two or three years back) had no start problems and sometimes took as many as 5 attempts to start. There is a cure for this too.

Offline Lavaspit

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 06:23:32 PM »
Makes a lot of sense.

Offline mad ad

• S1000R Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 06:58:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by beech [+]
Go back to using your key to shut down for awhile and see how it goes. I have been involved with two dealers that tell folks to stop using their kill switch for normal shutdown do to what you are experiencing. Something akin to turning off your computer by pulling the power plug rather than letting it shut down by using the normal shut off function .
Also some of the older F, R and S bikes (two or three years back) had no start problems and sometimes took as many as 5 attempts to start. There is a cure for this too.

I agree with this, when ever I switch it off with the key, the number plate light still stays on for about 5 seconds after taking the key out and also you can hear like a computer powering down from the engine just for a couple of seconds, this could be the correct shut down rather then killing the machine straight away, just like when you turn a computer off by the plug it has to boot everything back up again because you killed the system.

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 01:15:00 PM »
As above, I never use the kill switch(more out of habit then anything else), but I do end up killing the engine most times by putting the side stand down, It's just what happens!

Any thoughts on this?

Offline CrazyBiker

• S1000R Master
  • Faster Smoother!
  • Bike: S1R, S1RR
  • City / Town: Fremont, CA
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 03:56:19 PM »
I have pretty much never used the kill switch or the side stand either but thats more out of laziness as I don't want to do 2 steps to shut down the bike. I just turn the key off and take it out of habit (security). I guess being lazy also pays off! None of my bikes have ever had problems starting on the 1st try in the past 12 years.
2014 S1000R Premium White
Akra GP Slip On|Ohlins Damper|Ermax pan|Tecbike CAT|Bestem Fender|V-stream screen|Wunderlich Seat|360+R&G LED signals|R&G+Puig Protection
2012 S1000RR Premium Motorsport 
Brocks CT Full System|GPR Damper|Elka Stg3|Sato rearsets|Bestem Cowl|Sargent Seat|Puig Screen|Woodcraft+GB protection|MD signals
H&B panniers on both

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 04:15:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by CrazyBiker [+]
I have pretty much never used the kill switch or the side stand either but thats more out of laziness as I don't want to do 2 steps to shut down the bike. I just turn the key off and take it out of habit (security). I guess being lazy also pays off! None of my bikes have ever had problems starting on the 1st try in the past 12 years.

So you don't put the side stand down??    :164:

to me there are 2 steps to do( and they can be done in any order):
1) put side stand down(otherwise you have an extra step when you want to set off again)
1) turn-off and remove key.

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 04:29:14 PM »
I use my kill switch every time I shut my bike off, I don't see why there is some conspiracy theory that says one method of killing the engine is better or worse than another.  Electrically there should be no difference between using the kill switch or the side stand switch.  The ignition switch is what we call a "master power switch" in the military.  They all do the same thing, just the ignition switch also cuts power to the remaining systems.

My manual says "The emergency off switch is a kill switch for switching off the engine quickly and easily."  Sure it says it's an emergency switch, but it basically admits it's the easiest way to do something.

It's all "Half a dozen of one, 6 of the other", IMO.

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor