Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Perhaps dumb question - preload on rear: spring or screw?  (Read 614 times)

Offline peeti

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 17 S1000R
  • City / Town: Chicagoland
Perhaps dumb question - preload on rear: spring or screw?
« on: March 30, 2019, 02:07:08 PM »
I've spent a lot of time studying suspension settings. Watched about 10 hours of videos and have the concepts down pat now. That being said, when I went out to adjust the preload on the rear shock (a DDC bike) the instructions say to turn the screw to adjust preload. Not the spring perch. This seems really weird - is that truly the way it works and if so - what's the mechanism involved inside? Anyone have a cutaway?

Another question, roughly how many turns are on that rear screw? I heard about 22 on the shock adjuster - though don't recall how many on the rear.

Thanks!

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Pro
  • any day on 2 wheels is a good day
  • Bike: 18 S1KR sport
  • City / Town: Montreal
Re: Perhaps dumb question - preload on rear: spring or screw?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 04:20:41 PM »
Its for a 2018 double R ... principals are the same. no talk about number of rotations on rear. guessing it would be approx 1mm per rotation. Set up my 2018 using these guidelines. took some tweaking.   May be of help to you.

Offline peeti

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 17 S1000R
  • City / Town: Chicagoland
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 07:42:10 PM »
@Hooligan - thanks for this. It's a concise video for suspension in one quick bite. I watched this series (below) which really goes into the details. Talks about rake, trail, rates and much much more. Great watch if you have the time. But I did get the key takeaway from the video you sent - that rear screw isn't a traditional rear shock adjuster in that it changes damp/rebound but it's adjusting the physical spring. Exactly what I wanted to know. Looking at it, it just looks like any other rear monoshock where it would adjust valving - a no. Deez Germans did something cool - that is much easier than using a C wrench in tight quarters like you do with a traditional lock and adjustment nut. MANY thanks.

Also great to know that one turn is roughly 1 mm. What's really weird is that as best as I can tell - and I don't have any fancy jack stands like this guy does so I did it by lifting the bike - mine has 0-5mm full extension sag/free sag. It's like a rock. So my dealer must have just cranked everything to max which really ticks me off. So now I have to redo it all and without a chock it's a PITA. Ah well. Back to the garage we go.

Again big thanks. Here is the video series I mentioned - it's like 17 episodes of this shop's list:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TraxxionDynamicsInc/videos

Enjoy.

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Pro
  • any day on 2 wheels is a good day
  • Bike: 18 S1KR sport
  • City / Town: Montreal
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 01:00:41 PM »
@Peeti, All good. I don't have the stands either :027: You will still be able to improve ride quality significantly with some tweaking. Remember to leave the ignition on when making changes. Thanks for the link. Definitely worth a look. 

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor