Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Heated gear power connection?  (Read 688 times)

Online windyrun

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
Heated gear power connection?
« on: January 23, 2019, 02:09:20 AM »
Just purchased First Gear heated liner with remote controller thinking I would connect the jacket liner to the electrical dongle hanging on left side by seat (dealer installed plug). Problem is the dongle is a male and female connection and the First Gear power connection is a male only.

It may now be obvious that I know nothing about such things but I 'm wondering is there a way to connect the power of the liner to the bike without ripping off the seat to get to the battery for what appears to be a direct connect approach?

Tips appreciated...did a search but posts found seem to reference other approaches.

Thanks

Online SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
Re: Heated gear power connection?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 03:18:36 AM »
I know you said you don't want to rip the seat off, but it is the simplest, best approach.

Your heated liner should have come with a fused lead that you can connect direct to the battery. Attach it to the battery, route the cable so that the end exits between the tank and the seat. put seat back on. Your connection should be ready and waiting for you to plug in your liner.

Offline miles

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: A red one
  • City / Town: San Diego, CA
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 06:04:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
I know you said you don't want to rip the seat off, but it is the simplest, best approach.

Your heated liner should have come with a fused lead that you can connect direct to the battery. Attach it to the battery, route the cable so that the end exits between the tank and the seat. put seat back on. Your connection should be ready and waiting for you to plug in your liner.

This is certainly the easiest, most straightforward way of doing it.
Just keep your head held high
Kiss your fist and touch the sky

Online windyrun

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 10:09:41 AM »
^ Thanks all for the tips above. I was hoping there was an adapter to use for connecting to the battery charger (?) dongle dealer installed that is hanging there.

I guess I'll take the seat off. I just remember when swapping in my Comfort Seat it was risky not stripping screws when tightening them when reinstalling seat since the seat covers the screws so wanted to avoid that.

I wonder if there is a right angle tool for tightening the seat screws that reduces risk of stripping screws when tightening..
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 10:10:25 AM by windyrun »

Online SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 01:54:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by windyrun [+]
I guess I'll take the seat off. I just remember when swapping in my Comfort Seat it was risky not stripping screws when tightening them when reinstalling seat since the seat covers the screws so wanted to avoid that.

I wonder if there is a right angle tool for tightening the seat screws that reduces risk of stripping screws when tightening..

I have taken my seat off too many times to count, it really is not that hard. You just need to hold the padding back so that the screw is exposed, then a straight Torx driver works perfectly

Online windyrun

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 02:51:58 PM »
Thanks again for the tip :002:

Also, just talked to the dealer and they told me, for others like me that are mechanically challenged lol, its better to use a longish straight torx rather than the shorter one I was using so that the length of the long tool will aid in holding back the seat cushion. I had to hold it back with one hand ... and you see where that was going ;)

FYI - they also told me there used to be adaptors made for connecting to the battery tender plug/wire they install on the bikes but the tender is only designed for like 5 amps I believe whereas heated gear use way more so the wires were either not conducting enough amps to heat the gear or burning out.

So in summary they concurred with you in that the way to do this is bite the bullet, remove seat and do it the correct way  :002:

Thanks for the tips!

Offline miles

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: A red one
  • City / Town: San Diego, CA
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 03:21:02 PM »
Yes, a screwdriver-style Torx is the answer to your seat-removal woes.
Just keep your head held high
Kiss your fist and touch the sky

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 10:29:20 PM »
Thing that makes me super jealous of my friend who bought a new MT10.... he can take his seat off using his key :P

Offline Buckybuk

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000R
  • City / Town: Sour Lake

Online windyrun

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 03:33:51 AM »
 :800:Appreciate the link to the adaptor on revzilla. However, several of the reviews mention the item has instructions that say not to use it with battery tender leads .

Bummer since this is exactly what I was hoping for and since its sold by the same company that made my heated gear it is odd  :084:

Update from revzilla review: "However, the cable comes with a paper in the box that states NOT to use it for that as the electrical draw from this cable exceeds that which is designed into the Battery Tender cables, but it can be used with First Gear's battery tender substitute".

It appears that if I "swap" the battery harness supplied with First Gear troller for the battery lead I already have attached to battery and purchase a corresponding adapter from First Gear (revzilla) then I can use the harness for attaching to jacket liner or attach the adaptor to the new First Gear harness and then attach an battery tender.  :087:    :008:    :800:

Need to confirm with First Gear or Revzilla.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 04:10:33 AM by windyrun »

Recent Posts/Topics