Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2017 S1000RR with DDC - Preload/Sag Help  (Read 651 times)

Offline gints

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: 17 S1000RR DDC
  • City / Town: Footscray
2017 S1000RR with DDC - Preload/Sag Help
« on: January 17, 2019, 01:05:57 AM »
I need some quick advice with a new S1000RR (2017 Stock with DDC)

I am about 250lb in full riding gear, intention is fast street riding across all manner of roads (from shitty and bumpy through to racetrack quality)

I expect at my weight, I will likely need new springs, particularly in the rear, however I want to get the most out of the bike and break it in before making major changes. Currently only at 600km.

My question is around preload/sag, and your recommendations.

The BMW manual recommends 8-12mm Rear and 10-15mm front, however these measures are 'negative spring displacement' - the difference between static sag and rider sag (ignoring the full extension and total sag). Previously I have setup bikes using total sag.

Given it is a DDC bike, do you recommend this BMW method, or an alternate? I am confused as I thought adding preload won't really change the relationship between these 2 figures much, and I will end up with a ton of preload and the bike sitting too high.

With the sag set (as best as possible with my weight and stock springs) - what is good starting point for the Rear Reb/Comp and Front Damping?

Any help would be great.

Ta,
Regan

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
Re: 2017 S1000RR with DDC - Preload/Sag Help
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 01:20:31 AM »
From my experience(myself being around your stated weight) you will probably need to wind your pre-load all the way in, both front and rear. I managed to get my rear sag(as per the BMW manual) close to spec on the rear, but nowhere near on the front. You can get stiffer springs for the front  from triple tuning in Germany.

I am not sure what you mean by front and rear damping, as far as I am aware there is no adjustment for this apart from the 2 DDC settings 'Road' and 'Dynamic'.

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 01:23:34 AM »
From my experience, you haven't got a hope in hell of ever getting the suspension on this bike set up properly with the stock DDC suspension unless you're well under 200lbs.

I'm 235 in full gear and no matter how much I try I can't get the bike set up properly for sag.  If I max it I'm still not even close to the figures in the manual.

Best compromise I've found is to put the preload at around 3/4 from max (if memory serves me, from min to max is something like 23 complete turns?) and then set the bike to "2 up" mode.  Anything else just makes it supremely uncomfortable, IMO.

Offline gints

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 01:49:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
From my experience(myself being around your stated weight) you will probably need to wind your pre-load all the way in, both front and rear. I managed to get my rear sag(as per the BMW manual) close to spec on the rear, but nowhere near on the front. You can get stiffer springs for the front  from triple tuning in Germany.

I am not sure what you mean by front and rear damping, as far as I am aware there is no adjustment for this apart from the 2 DDC settings 'Road' and 'Dynamic'.

I mean the Rear Compression, Rear Rebound, Front Damping in the DDC Setup Menu. Perhaps the R and XR don't have this?

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 02:12:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by gints [+]
I mean the Rear Compression, Rear Rebound, Front Damping in the DDC Setup Menu. Perhaps the R and XR don't have this?

Correct, these menu options are not available on the R or XR.

Offline gints

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 04:04:19 AM »
Fair enough. I have now realised I'm an idiot and have posted in an S1000R forum about a RR.

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 01:03:05 PM »
lots of good RR info here - https://www.s1000rrforum.com/

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor