Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: [USA] South Carolina to Southern California Solo Trip - Feb 2019  (Read 2322 times)

Online zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
Re: [USA] South Carolina to Southern California Solo Trip - Feb 2019
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 12:54:46 PM »
Just buy a few dozen memory cards, would be my advice.  I would not rely on cloud storage.

I used an Asus Transformer tablet when I did my trip around to and around lake superior in 2013.  It has USB ports you can plug devices into, so I used that to dump my camera footage to a USB hard drive and it was small enough to fit in the top of my nelson rigg 30L tank bag.

I had the benefit of doing my trip in the summer so I was able to travel extremely light.  I had a pair of jeans, a t-shirt, a pair of underwear and socks in my tank bag.  I did laundry each night in the hotels I stayed at (I verified they had on-site laundry before booking).

In one of my saddle bags I had a pair of sneakers for walking around each evening (riding boots suck for walking, lol) and in the other I had a puncture repair kit with 12v compressor as well as a rudimentary tool kit.

I rode just over 4,000km in 6 days on an 07 R1 (the red one) and all in all, there wasn't anything else I felt I needed other than I should have brought some rain gear as I got caught in some cold rain the 2nd to last day of the trip for the entire day.

Offline FatWilbur

• S1000R Member
  • City / Town: Coshocton, OH
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2019, 01:19:06 PM »
I've been looking a buying GoPro or other cameras.  I had bookmarked this item (Gearbox) during my research.  I have not purchased anything yet, so I can't give a review; but you may find it useful to reduce the # of memory cards and/or backup.

http://help.gnarbox.com/gnarbox-tips-and-tricks/7-ways-to-gopro-with-gnarbox-and-gopro
https://www.amazon.com/GNARBOX-Seagate-Backup-Plus-Slim/dp/B07617MM4K?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_17516081011

Online zombie

• S1000R Master
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2019, 01:25:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by FatWilbur [+]
I've been looking a buying GoPro or other cameras.  I had bookmarked this item (Gearbox) during my research.  I have not purchased anything yet, so I can't give a review; but you may find it useful to reduce the # of memory cards and/or backup.

http://help.gnarbox.com/gnarbox-tips-and-tricks/7-ways-to-gopro-with-gnarbox-and-gopro
https://www.amazon.com/GNARBOX-Seagate-Backup-Plus-Slim/dp/B07617MM4K?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_17516081011

Interesting, I'd not heard of that device...  thanks

Offline FatWilbur

• S1000R Member
  • City / Town: Coshocton, OH
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2019, 03:14:53 PM »
I had bookmarked this item (Gearbox) during my research.

Sorry, meant GNARBOX not Gearbox. 

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2019, 08:23:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by MotoPost [+]
Thanks.

The USA are a vast country with people from all sorts of walk of life.
Being prepared and all...

You have toured around Europe and do not you carry anything but water and energy bars?
Have you been on large distance trip on your bike? This will be over 4,000 kms.
Any recommendations? Anything I neglected?

I appreciate you know where your going and what to expect.

Whilst I do carry water with me, I find I can replenish it easily and take on food ( my energy bars are called chocolate bars..) at the same from the places that sell the fuel!

Longest trip I guess would be around 6,000 miles and ive been doing that on and off since the late 80s when many of the luxury's we now deem as essential didn't exist, its hard to imagine we could make it around with out a phone or sat nav now!

My luxury this year will be a USB socket to charge my phone but ive always managed with making some simple route notes before hand and a map...will probably do the same as I trust a map more than a sat nav.

Will be heading into Normandy this year to take in the 75th anniversary celebrations of D Day and further into France after that...aside from the items above, ill make sure I have health insurance and a credit card for emergencies and just have a good time.

bets advice I can give you is travel light, a lighter bike is a better handling fun bike ,  take older or cheap clothes and throw them as you travel along or wash what your wearing in the hotel sink, in hotter climates it drys in a couple of hours, I also buy a cheap pair of trainers and bin them as well on my last day.  More room for the duty free... :001:

« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 08:24:40 PM by podders »

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2019, 08:30:00 PM »
Edit to add, from my experience, textiles are far more versatile than leather and also of course mean you don't have to carry waterproofs around with you.

Appreciate leather is better in an accident but you don't need to spend a fortune to get decent textile kit nowadays, I wear Furygan gear nowadays but ive had good experiences with many brands and at a reasonable price.

Offline MotoPost

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
  • City / Town: SoCal
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2019, 09:05:27 PM »
I've been looking a buying GoPro or other cameras.  I had bookmarked this item (Gearbox) during my research.  I have not purchased anything yet, so I can't give a review; but you may find it useful to reduce the # of memory cards and/or backup. [...]

Thank you for mentioning this, I had not seen it. They are coming out with their revision B with the GNARBOX 2.0 SSD apparently.

Either that or what @Zombie recommended: plenty of microSD cards and a tablet + perhaps a SSD (I have a Sandisk I never even opened so it could get some use).

« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 09:06:46 PM by MotoPost »

Offline MotoPost

• S1000R Member
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2019, 09:27:08 PM »
Thanks Podders.

Online zombie

• S1000R Master
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2019, 09:49:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by MotoPost [+]

Thank you for mentioning this, I had not seen it. They are coming out with their revision B with the GNARBOX 2.0 SSD apparently.

Either that or what @Zombie recommended: plenty of microSD cards and a tablet + perhaps a SSD (I have a Sandisk I never even opened so it could get some use).

If you go the tablet route, make sure the tablet can act as a USB host (i.e. it has the regular USB-A port similar to what's on a PC instead of the micro or USB-C ports).  The Asus Transformer only has this ability because I have a keyboard dock that has the USB ports.

Another route, if you have one is an old netbook (or a chromebook, most likely), they are typically quite small and usually have USB ports (or even on-board HDD).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 09:49:36 PM by zombie »

Offline MotoPost

• S1000R Member
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2019, 02:58:42 PM »
Got it. Thanks bud.

Your photo shows a second bike, a travel companion.
Have you felt during your journey that you would have preferred traveling along, e.g: to be able to absorb more and make your own memories?
Or was it amazing and you wouldn't change that part?

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor