Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tune for exhaust?  (Read 567 times)

Offline Not_A_S1000r

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Conroe TX
Tune for exhaust?
« on: January 09, 2019, 05:56:27 AM »
Iíve looked in the threads about this and not really getting a definitive answer that I want, Iím looking to purchase the arrow competition full set up, do I absolutely need a tune? Is my motor going to be ruined if I donít run a tune? What tune should I go with? Will this action void my factory warranty? Can BMW see the tune? 

Offline beech

• S1000R Pro
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $40
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
Re: Tune for exhaust?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 06:06:10 AM »
Without a tune you will loose power. Bike can't adapt to that big of a change.

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Member
  • "Ride it like you stole it!"
  • Bike: 2018 S1000R
  • City / Town: Montreal
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 12:17:10 PM »
 My 2 cents...For optimal performance and rideability through the entire rev range, you'll need to modify the fueling. Will it damage the engine without?...probably not. Can it void your warranty? if the dealer can demonstrate the damage you are claiming is linked to the mods you've done, then yes, you may find yourself SOL. What tune do you get? IMHO, I would go the pwr commander or other piggyback device route, at least if you have issues, you could put it all back to stock prior to taking back to the dealer on a warranty claim.

Offline Not_A_S1000r

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Conroe TX
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 01:59:42 PM »
So letís say I do go ahead and get a power commmander for my 2017, first off I canít find any other maps on there website that arenít stock exhaust and stock air filter, does this mean I need to get it on the dyno for them to tune it?

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 02:51:16 PM »
Yup. I was looking into a re pipe for my 2018. The motivation for me wasn't performance related... the thing goes from 0 to lose your licence right out the box. I was aesthetic for me. I didn't like the lumpy cat. Being that available mapping for the commander has yet to catch up, I decided to back off. I couldn't justify the cost to benefit. I understand that the dealership will install Akra headers and have an ECU download available but it'll cost you your first born child! There are a couple of options available for slip on's...Akra, SC project if your looking for a better 'tone'. There are also belly pans available that look good as well.
If you're motivated by squeezing every last ounce of juice out of the power plant, headers, tuner and dyno or BMW download are the only ways I've found to go.That or change the pipes and let the ECU adapt the best it can. from what I've researched, it will only do so much and you will lose rideability in the lower range.     

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 04:04:58 PM »
I have run a full Akrapovic system(long can) on my R for +20k miles, both with and without a piggyback system. You are not (in my experience anyway) going to get huge gains in power(like the old days) either way.

1) First off, pretty much all 1000cc bikes these days are crazy, stupid fast
2) with the full Akra I noticed a drop in running temp, and heat coming from the exhaust(especially noticeable in those hot summer months
3) bike seemed to run fine with out a piggyback module, not testing done. Was lumpy in the lower revs(<3k rpm), but I don't tend to spend much time down there. Seemed to pull harder from 5k revs upward(again seat of the pants feel).
4) I fitted a RB module with MyTuningBike. Still a little lumpy in the lower revs(again, I don't spend much time there, so of no consequence to me), and could probably have been tuned out better if I was bothered. Felt more 'rounded' and 'fuller' in the mid and upper rev ranges, pulling stringer than without a piggy back system.

So, IMHO, do you NEED a piggy back system - no. However, adding one potentially gives better driveability, but do not expect to get an extra 20hp out of it.

just my 50c worth.

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 04:43:52 PM »
If you don't like the look of the cat (who does) then an option might be an ilmburger carbon belly pan. Looks great and hides the cat. Costs like $599 I think.

https://www.ilmberger-carbon.de/Carbon/Carbon_Motorrad/BMW/S_1000_R_ab_2017/BELLY-PAN---BMW-S-1000-R-from-2017.aspx

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 05:32:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by windyrun [+]
If you don't like the look of the cat (who does) then an option might be an ilmburger carbon belly pan. Looks great and hides the cat. Costs like $599 I think.

https://www.ilmberger-carbon.de/Carbon/Carbon_Motorrad/BMW/S_1000_R_ab_2017/BELLY-PAN---BMW-S-1000-R-from-2017.aspx
Exactly the route I took. Achieved my goal of hiding the cat, saved thousands in parts, the hassle of install, tuning,possible ECU fault codes etc. etc.Been there, done that on a bunch of Harley's over the years. Now I spend my time riding and fewer mods. If I have any issues, it goes back to the dealer ,under warranty with no questions asked. Besides, I generally trade up to a new bike every 4 or 5 years.

Online Meguerra

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2016 BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Temecula
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 07:05:45 PM »
Why no mention of auto mapper to go along with the fuel controller?

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 08:02:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Meguerra [+]
Why no mention of auto mapper to go along with the fuel controller?

*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
4) I fitted a RB module with MyTuningBike.

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor