Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Brake fade  (Read 1308 times)

Offline beech

• S1000R Pro
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $40
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
Re: Brake fade
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 05:47:12 AM »
BMW does not sell the rubber bits inside the front brake. They are glad to sell you another complete unit for $459. Maybe a cross check with manufacture would lead to a secondary source. But if under warranty all you can do is complain. I agree with you that this is a nasty business model.

Offline rick_lee

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2015 BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Cave Creek, AZ
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 04:39:05 PM »
I changed my front pads yesterday, which was a super easy, almost enjoyable job.  Although it was time to do it, I also figured the extra pad meat would reduce the lever travel a bit.  Once done, I took it out for some very spirited bedding.  No joy.  Lever is coming way too close to the grip.  I could feel the pads getting bedded and biting earlier and harder.  But the lever is just about to the point that I'm going to have to park the bike again until this is solved. 

The OP's having a whole new MC installed and still having the problem afterwards makes me loathe to just start replacing stuff until the root cause is tracked down.  I finally got the MotoScan app working the other day and am wondering how hard a job it is to do a full flush with ABS cycling via the app.  Or do I need to take this to a pro with a GS-911?

Offline beech

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 04:49:23 PM »
Boy, what a pain you are having, sorry. I use a GS-911 on every brake bleed I do for myself or other owners. It does in my opinion make a difference. You could cheat and take the bike out and activate the ABS on dirt or grass (and do another bleed) but that is a weak substitute. Seems someone in your area should have the tool. Personally I would not own a BMW with out one. Just something that has to be in the tool box, cost of doing business. One brake bleed at the BMW shop (they have the correct tools also) would pay for the GS 911 tool.
I agree that a detailed brake bleed is where you need to start at this point. And flushing more fluid through than would seem reasonable.

Online zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 08:27:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by beech [+]
Boy, what a pain you are having, sorry. I use a GS-911 on every brake bleed I do for myself or other owners. It does in my opinion make a difference. You could cheat and take the bike out and activate the ABS on dirt or grass (and do another bleed) but that is a weak substitute. Seems someone in your area should have the tool. Personally I would not own a BMW with out one. Just something that has to be in the tool box, cost of doing business. One brake bleed at the BMW shop (they have the correct tools also) would pay for the GS 911 tool.
I agree that a detailed brake bleed is where you need to start at this point. And flushing more fluid through than would seem reasonable.

If your BMW shop charges over $500 for a brake bleed, you need a new shop.

Offline beech

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 01:39:12 AM »
Yeah, I know, the new gs911 is not cheap. Just saying that owning the tools for work pay off in the long run. I allocate 1.5 to 2 hours for a serious S bike bleed flush. Cleaning pucks, double flushing, using piston retractors all that stuff. Probably I go too slow. Sprits bottle of water with some detergent in it for any fluid on the bike or calipers. That sort of thing. If your inclined to use a shop, then don't waste money on tools but remember you are at their mercy now. When someone I know asks me to work on their bike I charge money as your point of tool cost is well taken.

Offline Fistuk

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2014 S1000R
  • City / Town: Tel-Aviv
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 04:36:59 PM »
BMW does not sell the rubber bits inside the front brake. They are glad to sell you another complete unit for $459. Maybe a cross check with manufacture would lead to a secondary source. But if under warranty all you can do is complain. I agree with you that this is a nasty business model.

I got the same response when I told them there are instructions on how to rebuild the Nissin MC. Their logic was that they cannot take responsibility for rebuilding a part of the vehicle which can directly affect rider safety... Looks like an excuse to me but I could not argue with them.

Since they covered almost all of the cost of the new MC and warrant the repair, it seems like a good deal but I agree this is a wasteful maintenance policy.

My brakes are working perfectly since the MC was replaced - so they obviously analyzed the issue correctly.

Online SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 05:57:33 PM »

I ma not sure what rubber bits you are referring to, but you can buy a piston and seal kit for a front claiper - https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/en/genuine-spare-parts/bmw-spare-parts?itemid=34117714801

Offline beech

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 07:56:22 PM »
I was thinking in the master cylinder on the handle bar. If your caliper puck seal was leaking the only way would be to the outside where you would see the mess in a hurry.

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 08:00:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
I ma not sure what rubber bits you are referring to, but you can buy a piston and seal kit for a front claiper - https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/en/genuine-spare-parts/bmw-spare-parts?itemid=34117714801

He would have needed these parts for the master cylinder, not the caliper, which is a doddle to get for any of the Japanese bikes I own , which are nigh on 40 years of age....

Offline CrazyBiker

• S1000R Master
  • Faster Smoother!
  • Bike: S1R, S1RR
  • City / Town: Fremont, CA
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 08:36:14 PM »
Cycling the ABS pump for a comprehensive bleed is not going to help with leaking seal issues.
On other hand, I didn't need to cycle the pump on my S1000RR and the brakes feel fine if not as great as the R.
2014 S1000R Premium White
Akra GP Slip On|Ohlins Damper|Ermax pan|Tecbike CAT|Bestem Fender|V-stream screen|Wunderlich Seat|360+R&G LED signals|R&G+Puig Protection
2012 S1000RR Premium Motorsport 
Brocks CT Full System|GPR Damper|Elka Stg3|Sato rearsets|Bestem Cowl|Sargent Seat|Puig Screen|Woodcraft+GB protection|MD signals
H&B panniers on both

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor