Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Winter riding in the UK  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Marty7

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000Rsport 2017
  • City / Town: Belfast
Winter riding in the UK
« on: December 15, 2018, 02:21:15 PM »
Was wondering if anyone rides their s1000r all year round through British (or worse) winters. Also how often they would wash the bike and what protectants (if any) they use. I love riding the bike in the cold/rain etc (although dislike the rain mode) but hate the thought of putting the bike away each evening soaked in road salt. One half of me wants to get plenty of use out of a bike I spent 13k on and the other half doesn't want to see it disintegrate. I rode my last bike a VFR1200 through two winters and although it was probably a better finished bike than a BMW it did deteriorate. One March morning I noticed rusty water dripping out of the rear wheel hub and that was it, I had it traded in within a week.

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
Re: Winter riding in the UK
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 03:27:37 PM »
Can't comment for now, but when I was living in the UK and commuting into London on my K1200S year round I would ACF-50 the bike in Oct/Nov, then just ride through the winter. She would get a good cleaning once winter was over(Mar/Apr) and would turn out as good as new. You could definitely see spots that did not get any ACF-50.

Offline Marty7

• S1000R Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 03:36:42 PM »
Thanks Simonuk. I have acf50 though have never taken the time to apply it properly. I do know people who use it and swear by it but you have to have a lot of faith in its effectiveness to ride all Winter and then check in the Spring to see if it has done the job.

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 04:34:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by Marty7 [+]
Thanks Simonuk. I have acf50 though have never taken the time to apply it properly. I do know people who use it and swear by it but you have to have a lot of faith in its effectiveness to ride all Winter and then check in the Spring to see if it has done the job.

that is true! I rode through 3 winters doing this, the 1st one was a bit  :087: :005:, but after that I knew it worked!

Offline MarketSquareHero

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Lancashire
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 04:36:54 PM »
I do not ride the BM through winter but when It's laid up I still coat it in Sdoc corrosion resistant spray.
I know you won't feel like it but try to give it a quick hose down before putting it away.
Always cold water though,warm reacts with the salt.

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Member
  • It's not about miles per hour its smiles per hour
  • Bike: 18 S1KR sport
  • City / Town: Montreal
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 04:55:13 PM »
You may find this video of use
If I could ride through the winter I would....Canadian winters make it impossible!

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 06:05:21 PM »
Sprays and potions can only work to a certain extent, ive seen a few very rough S1000Rs to know the finish on the bikes isnt great BUT its up to you if you want to ride it or not, when i was younger we rode day in,day out and it never bothered us did it?

It would seem, in our  "later" years , the OCD /anxiety kicks in and stops many of us(including me!) from riding, my wife passed her test 3 years ago and with a more youthful outlook and lack of any awareness as to what "corrosion" is, she'll ride her bike whenever the mood suits her!

May be worth noting, IF have it on a PCP deal , as long as the mileage and service limits are adhered to and the bike isnt damaged come the end of the term, the scheme appears to not differentiate between a minter or a shed so why hold back.. :015:

Offline nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 06:54:11 PM »
I ride at weekends and all year round - in winter damp roads dont put me off but I see no merit in riding in driving freezing rain - Ive been out in salt but do try and avoid the worst - the bike, rides and views are fantastic in winter and there are far fewer cars around - after every ride I allow an hour for a thorough wash - I use SDOC gel and cold water rinses to get in all the nooks - absolutely no problem - this is my third s1000R and I think the one I just pxd was a minter in much better condition than a lot of bikes that appear to be thrown in a shed between Oct and April - my view is spend 13k then why do 3 thousand miles a year on it - so much to enjoy and the BM fittings are good enough to last - being a naked the bike is easy to get to on a clean - enjoy !

Offline Marty7

• S1000R Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 06:22:08 PM »
Many thanks for the replies.

Offline rockardbiker

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: S1000r
  • City / Town: Bristol
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 12:50:02 AM »
Was wondering if anyone rides their s1000r all year round through British (or worse) winters. Also how often they would wash the bike and what protectants (if any) they use. I love riding the bike in the cold/rain etc (although dislike the rain mode) but hate the thought of putting the bike away each evening soaked in road salt. One half of me wants to get plenty of use out of a bike I spent 13k on and the other half doesn't want to see it disintegrate. I rode my last bike a VFR1200 through two winters and although it was probably a better finished bike than a BMW it did deteriorate. One March morning I noticed rusty water dripping out of the rear wheel hub and that was it, I had it traded in within a week.

I leave S1000R in the garage and ride my winter hack (CBF600SA) it cost 700 and will last many winters even the mileage saved on the S1000r alone would more than pay for the hack.

Recent Posts/Topics