Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Chinese aftermarket parts  (Read 2203 times)

Offline S1KR187

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2018 S1000R MU
  • City / Town: Rustenburg
Re: Chinese aftermarket parts
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 05:17:54 PM »
Interesting point @ Toolman :084:
Mu main concern, like you mentio ed, would be the quality. I want to be 100% convinced with my decision.

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2015 S1000RS
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2018, 05:33:00 PM »
The difference is that Apple applies their QC to the phones that they make in China. Thats vastly different to some Chinese company that makes knock off copies of someone elses product. If they dont give a crap about stealing someone elses IP, brand name etc and, by extension, the jobs of the people working for the real manufacturer, whats the chance that they give a crap about QC or the end users safety?

Offline Toolman

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: West Sussex
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2018, 05:40:49 PM »
My point was, don't knock stuff just 'cos it's Asian......

Offline S1KR187

• S1000R Member
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2018, 06:09:05 PM »
Also an interesting point @ SimonS1.
Has anyone, for just interest, fitted an important part like a damper or similar important part to their S1KR, supplied by a Chinese company?

Online Enzio

• S1000R Pro
  • City / Town: Pretoria
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 07:07:31 AM »
2 things:

1) I would not trust a no-name part with suspect quality on a safety critical part of any vehicle. So I would not fit a steering damper from aliexpress. What happens if it gets stuck....or the seal blows out and you have oil everywhere?
On the other hand, for non-safety critical parts I have had success using cheap Chinese parts - particularly the case savers I had fitted which worked perfectly when I had a low speed off on the way to work after hitting some oil on the road. They took the hit, protected the engine covers and I rode the bike to work and back home afterwards.

2) I also had some issues with the steering shake when I bought my bike, I don't have much of an issue anymore since I worked on improving my body position and not pulling on the handlebar under acceleration.

Bottom line - use your common sense and don't take chances with your safety.
I got nothing.....

Online lospsi

• S1000R Pro
  • City / Town: Athens
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 08:42:37 AM »
Ι've bought chinese stuff from eBay, some times they were excellent but a few times were a disaster ( mostly due to lack of nowledge/communication with the sellers). If you add the difference in price, then in some cases they are better or it's a better compromise.

That said, I wouldn't buy a steering damper, not because it might break/leak etc, but because it might not be better than the stock one.
S1000R red
Faster than I can handle...

Offline SwiftTone

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: Ducati SFs
  • City / Town: Bosstown, MA
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 01:11:11 PM »
I've bought my share of eBay Chinese parts to good success. In my opinion, if its a non-moving non-critical part then I will get an eBay version. Stuff like frame sliders, case savers, even rearsets.

Moving parts such as suspension, steering damper I will get brand name. What if the steering dampers binders when you enter a corner? Well you're not going to make the corner anymore!

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 04:28:06 PM »
Call me crazy but I tend to buy things from the company that designed it rather than someone that merely copies it using unknown mods to design and materials and provides no (typically) pre and post service support. It just seems wrong to me to do that.

That said, I did get a chuckle when a friend came back from a trip to europe where he saw a store advertising "Authentic Fake Rolex watches for sale"...gotta love that
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 04:34:24 PM by windyrun »

Offline S1KR187

• S1000R Member
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2018, 05:58:07 PM »
 :062: :047:
Give credit where is due @ Windyrun
Authentic fake Rolex :001:

Offline SwiftTone

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: Ducati SFs
  • City / Town: Bosstown, MA
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2018, 06:10:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by windyrun [+]
Call me crazy but I tend to buy things from the company that designed it rather than someone that merely copies it using unknown mods to design and materials and provides no (typically) pre and post service support. It just seems wrong to me to do that.

That said, I did get a chuckle when a friend came back from a trip to europe where he saw a store advertising "Authentic Fake Rolex watches for sale"...gotta love that

You're crazy!

Anyways, its hard to swallow, for example, "authentic" rearsets cost 5-6 times the cost of eBay rearsets. Sure there is not much aftersale support, but don't need it when you can easily buy another set.

Recent Posts/Topics