Poll

Do you keep your S1000R mostly stock or modify it a lot?

I keep it mostly stock (as-is).
I enjoy modifying it a lot.

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tend to keep it stock or customize?  (Read 3097 times)

Offline jdr

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: So California
Tend to keep it stock or customize?
« on: December 08, 2018, 02:22:20 AM »
When I was younger (semi-old now) I customized (mods) my bike as much as possible, almost as if it was the last one I will ever have.
Maybe it also made it feel more special, more like it was really mine.

Then one day I was at a dealership and told the rep what I was planning. He told me something I never forgot...
   Why don't you keep your money for the next one and then get a real performance improvement?
   These mods will not significantly change the performance and you won't recover your expenses at resale.

That is what I have been doing since, keeping my bikes mostly stock (as-is) and focus on riding, keeping more money to buy the next one.
At the moment, waiting on the next S1000R with ShiftCam engine.

Offline nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: Tend to keep it stock or customize?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 08:25:20 AM »
Yes have been down similar roads - when selling on bikes I had to spend a day or two stripped them and puttingbto stock then selling all the bits.

Made a conscious  decision  with the S1R but still it all comes to end can, solo seat, cars bungs, screen, sat nav mount, bar ends,tail tidy as a minimum !

Definitely safe up Id say rather than going bananas - which is exactly what I did to upgrade to the 18 model !

Offline Alan

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: BRISTOL
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 04:12:55 PM »
I tend to modify less these days but still there are always a few tweaks.  The attraction of the S1000R was it had a lot of stuff as standard such as quick shifter, heated grips, LED indicators, a decent looking Akrapovic end can, Brembo brakes, etc.  But even so I have still fitted Evotech tail tidy and radiator guards, tall screen and handlebar risers, but that's it (for now). 

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Pro
  • any day on 2 wheels is a good day
  • Bike: 18 S1KR sport
  • City / Town: Montreal
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 04:50:00 PM »
Bike comes well appointed 'as is' I find. That said I still did some  minor cosmetic mods...tail tidy,rad guards, levers and a slip on end can with a bit more bark. Things I would probably do on most any bike. 

Offline CrazyBiker

• S1000R Master
  • Faster Smoother!
  • Bike: S1R, S1RR
  • City / Town: Fremont, CA
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 07:42:22 PM »
With Japanese bikes, they need a lot of fixing. Not so with euros, so now I tend to buy only euros to avoid modding them as much as possible. My criteria are:

Smooth Motor that makes 150hp atleast
Suspension that doesn't need a lot to get right for street/track.
Ergos (Bar position, rearsets position)
Comfort (Seat)
Wind Protection (Screen)
Aesthetics (turn signals, FE, rim stripes and maybe CF)

With Japanese bikes, I had to spend $$ on used/new mods in all the above departments (almost $2-4000). Euro bikes mostly need the last two only.

Got tired of that and started bikes already properly modded and setup. First 3 were Japs that I spent a lot of time and money on modding. Last 3 bikes have been euros bought already modded needing nothing. Infact didn't even need the exhausts that they came with.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 07:43:39 PM by CrazyBiker »
2014 S1000R Premium White
Akra GP Slip On|Ohlins Damper|Ermax pan|Tecbike CAT|Bestem Fender|V-stream screen|Wunderlich Seat|360+R&G LED signals|R&G+Puig Protection
2012 S1000RR Premium Motorsport 
Brocks CT Full System|GPR Damper|Elka Stg3|Sato rearsets|Bestem Cowl|Sargent Seat|Puig Screen|Woodcraft+GB protection|MD signals
H&B panniers on both

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 10:00:37 PM »
Seems like brake components are common areas people upgrade on japanese bikes as well from what i read

Offline S1rdek

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1r
  • City / Town: Northeast
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 10:43:39 PM »
The advice given to the OP assumes there'll be the opportunity to get something better or even if we'll be around in the future. Who knows what's ahead. I ain't taking that chance & why I have tweaked as I fancied. BTS carbon wheels, Ohlins damper, Gilles rearsets etc, etc. & enjoy the benefits now. 😎

Offline mad ad

• S1000R Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 09:18:25 AM »
I try to take a sensible take on mods with bikes and I go for mods that are used for a purpose or that should be fitted in the first place, like the radiator and oil guards, tank pad, engine cases, handle bar ends, screen all they are all mods but mods that will help keep the bike protected (stones in rad and oil cooler,engine cases from a drop, etc..) the only mod I change for looks is a tail tidy as some are just nasty looking when they come out. The last bike I traded in was a Suzuki GSR750 and the sales guy was very happy with the mods as the bike looked finished and how it should of come out the factory (he rang me a week later to say the old bike was sold in less than 48 hours, they havent touched it from the moment I dropped it off and the first person that seen it paid for it there and then)

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2015 S1000RS
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 05:45:44 PM »
At the end of the day, motorcycles are seldom a sensible investment option - so its hard to justify spending any money on them or on accessories. However, lifes too short to be sensible. And theres always going to a bike with better performance (whatever that means) coming along next year, so it would be best if we never got our wallets out...

Offline Zig Zag

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Black Storm
  • City / Town: Virginia
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 06:17:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by SimonS1KR [+]
lifes too short to be sensible.

:028:  :821:
You should remember that its peace of mind youre after and not just a fixed machine.
Robert Persig

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor