Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Battery advice  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Nugget

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2014 S1000R
  • City / Town: Sydney
Battery advice
« on: December 03, 2018, 05:04:45 AM »
Hey all,

Yesterday my bike started up fine and I rode it for 60mins to work. I left it parked for about 12hrs and it started fine again. I rode it 30mins to a petrol station and after filling up the bike wouldn't start. Luckily I was near home so I came back with my Optimate 4.

When I connected it the LED lights displayed low voltage - battery requires reconditioning. I charged it enough to start it and get it home. When I got home I connected the Optimate again and the LED displayed the battery is in good condition and proceeded to charge. It's fully charged now and I did another diagnostic and the LED again says its in good condition.

I'm just a bit confused, why would a battery in good condition die like that. Wasn't the 30mins ride home enough to charge the battery?

Just wondering if I should buy a new battery. Or if I should look at the alternator.

It's a 2014 model in its original battery.

Offline Enzio

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Pretoria
Re: Battery advice
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 06:19:55 AM »
Perhaps first check the battery connections.
Clean them up properly and see if the issue persists.
I got nothing.....

Offline BikerTim

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: red/black 2017
  • City / Town: Poole
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 12:56:38 PM »
I think you are ready for a new battery. Optimates keep batteries going for a long time then the batteries ability to hold a charge collapses. With my five-old-year last bike on original battery, I took it off the Optimate, it roared into life and I road ten miles from home. I needed to stop to make a phone call and when I tried to start the bike it was absolutely dead. The breakdown guy gave me a jump lead start and I got home and ordered up an new battery - problem solved. Good luck
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 12:58:33 PM by BikerTim »

Offline Nugget

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 10:31:40 AM »
The battery connections look ok.

I left it off charge for a few days then started the bike and let it run for a couple minutes. Then I connected the optimate and it again indicated the battery is in top shape. Weird.

I think I might just replace the battery to be safe as I might not be as lucky where it decides to die next time. But now its making question the optimate.

Offline Chinook

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: S1000R CBR 600f
  • City / Town: Cheshire
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 12:02:55 PM »
 :0461: with the previous post. My sons bike 6 years old was showing fully charged on the optimate. But even after a 40 mile ride the battery would be flat and would have to be bumped started. The charging system on the bike was working properly. The old battery just wouldnt hold a charge. New battery fitted and 3000 mile trip around Europe not a single problem.

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Member
  • "Ride it like you stole it!"
  • Bike: 2018 S1000R
  • City / Town: Montreal
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 06:16:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by Nugget [+]
Hey all,

Yesterday my bike started up fine and I rode it for 60mins to work. I left it parked for about 12hrs and it started fine again. I rode it 30mins to a petrol station and after filling up the bike wouldn't start. Luckily I was near home so I came back with my Optimate 4.

When I connected it the LED lights displayed low voltage - battery requires reconditioning. I charged it enough to start it and get it home. When I got home I connected the Optimate again and the LED displayed the battery is in good condition and proceeded to charge. It's fully charged now and I did another diagnostic and the LED again says its in good condition.

I'm just a bit confused, why would a battery in good condition die like that. Wasn't the 30mins ride home enough to charge the battery?

Just wondering if I should buy a new battery. Or if I should look at the alternator.

It's a 2014 model in its original battery.
I think if you got 5ish years out of the battery, you've done well. Time for a new one!

Offline samgab

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2018 S1000R
  • City / Town: Auckland
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 11:25:26 AM »
If you're forking out for a new battery, I'd suggest spend a bit more and get a Li-Ion battery (You'll need a new li-ion charger too).
Much lighter than SLA.
When my current battery dies that's the way I'll be going.

Offline Nugget

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 12:01:56 PM »
Thanks all. I bought a new battery, hopefully that will do the trick.

I just bought a standard battery. The bmw dealer wanted $247 for a battery, not sure what type of battery that was but I ended up buying a generic brand from a bike shop for $70.

Offline beech

• S1000R Pro
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $40
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 06:05:14 PM »
Smart move not buying a BMW oem battery. Way over priced. As long as you purchased a sealed AGM battery there will be no problems. It is too late now but when a new battery is about to be installed put it on the bench and charge it for 4 hours or so. This makes the last 20% of capacity available. You got your life out of that first battery. 4+ years is in the yellow zone. Another tool to have in your electrical box is a volt ohm meter. Attaching it to the battery terminals and then starting the bike tells you a lot. If the voltage drops to 9.5 vdc while cranking the battery capacity is not up to spec. Keep in mind even a new or newer battery can fail and cause confusion, rare but it happens.

Offline gch

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Athens
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 03:41:53 AM »
On my GS1200 I replaced the OEM battery with a lithium one, for 90, and I am thinking to replace the S1000R OEM battery now (even that the battery does not need to be replaced yet) to a lithium battery. It charges faster, starts the engine with more power and the weight difference is unbelievable.
ⓖⓒⓗ

Recent Posts/Topics