Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Just got an S1000R in Southern California  (Read 1135 times)

Offline NotMonday

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: Too Slow
  • City / Town: Town of fake tan
Just got an S1000R in Southern California
« on: December 01, 2018, 07:52:13 AM »
S1000RR is my dream bike, but I have no regret with this tidy 600 miles old 2015 single R. I lurk on this forum for a while, but this forum is so informative and well operated I ought to make an introductory post. Anyways, here are a few pics:

Mods so far:
1. Pazzo clutch lever
2. RR painted white front mud guard
3. Gilles Tooling adjustable pegs (They are very high quality, but I didn't want to buy them. I bought them only because I don't know if it's a problem, my bike's shifter is very heavily sprung, the upshift needs a lot of strength. I don't feel like I am forcing it as there is no clunking at all, just feels like the shifter has a very strong return spring :187:, it's heavier than the K1600B and R1200GS I test rode for a good 7~8 miles during a bike show)
4. Evotech tail tidy and MotoGadget M Pin rear blinkers
5. Ebay street fighter style mirrors(handle vibration pretty well), Ebay front turn signal(decently bright and blink at normal speed), Ebay engine cover and axle sliders

Mods getting ready to install:
1. T-Rex no cut frame sliders
2. Lightech axle block adjusters
3. Deici83 radiator and oil cooler guard

Offline stanksbeamen

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Honolulu
Re: Just got an S1000R in Southern California
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 11:13:18 PM »
Awesome, that's a pretty good find for a 2015 to only have 600 miles! I cannot comment on the shifter as I have a 2017 so hopefully someone chimes in on that or mention it at your next service.
2017 S1000R
1997 E36 M3

Offline beech

• S1000R Master
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $40
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 02:50:20 AM »
Think twice about the light tech wheel adjusters, Work really well until you have to remove the rear wheel. It will not slide past the securing blocks (on the inside of the casting) for the Light tech units. You have to remove the inner securing block. Gilles are good. Not as slick but fine. I don't know if you do your own tire work but just leave the adjusters locked and pull the axle then slide the wheel forward enough to move the chain off the rear sprocket to the left. Also think about a gilles titanium axle nut. The stock one relies on a insert to lock and it will mess with the axle threads if you do a lot of changes such as track work.
Great bike, I had one for a couple of years and then bought an 18. I loved the stock exhaust on the 15 so much I duplicated it on my 18. (not easy).
YES, one of my complaints about this bike was the stiff shifting using the no clutch up shift technique. It was so stiff it was out of hand. I even had the dealer in on it and they changed the lever/switch but it was no better. My 18 is good. It was so bad I just never used the auto shift and always used the clutch.
Come on up to Seattle and I change tires cheap. beech

Offline boxerkuh

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R;K75;R100R
  • City / Town: Carolina's
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 03:11:47 AM »
Sweet looking bike!! Enjoy. Welcome. I am new too, but have been lurking for some time. Great info on this site; just like beech gave. I am learning and always double check before I make a modification.  :400:

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 12:39:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by beech [+]
Think twice about the light tech wheel adjusters, Work really well until you have to remove the rear wheel. It will not slide past the securing blocks (on the inside of the casting) for the Light tech units. You have to remove the inner securing block.

I have Lightecs on both my R and XR, have no issues removing my wheels on either and the Lightecs stay in place no problem.(I've changed at least 10 rears on the R, and a couple on the XR)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 12:40:48 PM by SimonUK »

Offline NotMonday

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 07:25:22 AM »
Time for some updates after a month :007:

Once again let's start from the front:
1. I added Vivid Gold Yellow Air-Tint to the low beam side headlight for fun(Bike has crazy eyes already, might as well go nuts :745:). The tint is quite thick but very high quality, allowing easy re-position during installation. They have tiny tiny channel on the adhesive side to let air escape, making installation easy, but the drawback is anyone stand 3 feet away can see those channel so the headlight is not perfectly clear. Night time brightness reduction is so minimal I couldn't notice. What I can notice is car drivers do notice me more due to the odd yellow hue shining into their mirror. I had experience of putting interior trim wrap in 3 other F-chassis BMW's, but for a first timer wrapping the headlight with these films will take some good o' trial and error.

2. Deici83 Radiator Guard from eBay. The quality of these guards themselves are very good, they are made in Italy even. But what I have problem with is the way they attach to the bike. They are attached via zipties :157: I understand their defend is that MotoGP bike use zipties to secure rad guards, but my take is MotoGP bikes are ran by teams with huge budget and probably have a new radiator put in every other weekend. Deici83 rad guards use insulation foam on the few edge of the guards to keep the guards from hitting the radiator, this is a pretty chintzy solution to me and was not mention in their eBay listing at all. I installed these guards with a lot more insulation foam tape on the edges than they came with for peace of mind.

3. T-Rex frame sliders: I installed these by removing just one fairing bolts on each side of the bike (The one closest to your knee). Just make sure the left one sit in front of the coolant pipe at the rest of the installation is very easy. I do wish they came with Torx bolts for those engine bolts they replaced. The rest of the product is very sturdy and decent quality. Cost $100 less than R&G but I personally like the way the T-Rex look. Not to mention they give our bike 30 extra horsepower because they turn our into "Double-R:745:

4. Popular cheap mod for 1st gen RR's. I painted the cat black with header paint. The paint I used were VHT header paint in aerosol can. I initially bought VHT header primer and VHT header clearcoat too, but the night after I got the paint I bought a nice 2015 S1000RR header for $80 so I got lazy painting my stock cat and did not use primer or clearcoat at all. After 600 miles of dusty and rocky Socal road the cat hardly had any chips on the black paint, and retouching is super easy because there were no clearcoat. I did clean the cat with alcohol and degreaser and also use scruff pad to scruff the cat before painting. For baking process I simply let the bike idle 10min, cool down for 20min and idle another 15min. The rest I just rode the bike as normal and the paint is holding up great so far.

5. Light-Tech Gen 2 chain adjusters: They work great and took very little time to install, I carelessly let the wheel fell out during my installation of these adjusters, but as mentioned by SimonUK, with these adjusters I can see swapping rear wheel will be breezy. Base of my research on the forums some people had issue of Lightech adjusters not lining up correctly into the swing arm. I can't say much about these issues, but I just want to mention for my 2015 bike, with Lightech Part# TP-80-6-TEBM002, they line up just fine. I watched a youtube tutorial of someone installing a red Gen 2 Lightech adjuster on an very new blue R1, which was more helpful than other sloppy videos installing Gen 1 adjuster into S1000RR's.   

One lengthyyy update post. I hope the info can help other new S1000R owners :169:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 07:28:18 AM by NotMonday »

Offline NotMonday

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 07:30:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by beech [+]
Think twice about the light tech wheel adjusters, Work really well until you have to remove the rear wheel. It will not slide past the securing blocks (on the inside of the casting) for the Light tech units. You have to remove the inner securing block. Gilles are good. Not as slick but fine. I don't know if you do your own tire work but just leave the adjusters locked and pull the axle then slide the wheel forward enough to move the chain off the rear sprocket to the left. Also think about a gilles titanium axle nut. The stock one relies on a insert to lock and it will mess with the axle threads if you do a lot of changes such as track work.
Great bike, I had one for a couple of years and then bought an 18. I loved the stock exhaust on the 15 so much I duplicated it on my 18. (not easy).
YES, one of my complaints about this bike was the stiff shifting using the no clutch up shift technique. It was so stiff it was out of hand. I even had the dealer in on it and they changed the lever/switch but it was no better. My 18 is good. It was so bad I just never used the auto shift and always used the clutch.
Come on up to Seattle and I change tires cheap. beech

Sure wish I live closer to you man. Thank you for all the great wisdom you place into the community

Offline CrazyBiker

• S1000R Master
  • Faster Smoother!
  • Bike: S1R, S1RR
  • City / Town: Fremont, CA
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 08:00:33 PM »
Why "town of fake tan" :D ??
2014 S1000R Premium White
Akra GP Slip On|Ohlins Damper|Ermax pan|Tecbike CAT|Bestem Fender|V-stream screen|Wunderlich Seat|360+R&G LED signals|R&G+Puig Protection
2012 S1000RR Premium Motorsport 
Brocks CT Full System|GPR Damper|Elka Stg3|Sato rearsets|Bestem Cowl|Sargent Seat|Puig Screen|Woodcraft+GB protection|MD signals
H&B panniers on both

Offline SeanChen

• S1000R Junior
  • City / Town: Irvine, CA
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 12:01:37 AM »
Great pics! I got a 17 from the same dealership. Do you live anywhere near there? I just moved to the area and don't really have a riding buddy yet.

Offline DRoss

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: s1000r, fz1
  • City / Town: Mariposa, Ca
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 01:23:53 AM »
Set up a So. Cal ride here to meet other S1000R riders. Try socalsportbikes.org not real active but some really nice people there.

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor