Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What floated your boat at the NEC this year?  (Read 1227 times)

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2015 S1000RS
  • City / Town: Somerset
What floated your boat at the NEC this year?
« on: November 25, 2018, 12:27:54 PM »
So I went to the NEC bike show yesterday and was surprised to find that the 2019 KTM Super Duke GT was the bike that interested me the most. Ive never owned a twin, so that plus the ergos and the comms / nav integration were all appealing.

What piqued your interest?

Offline Zig Zag

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Black Storm
  • City / Town: Virginia
Re: What floated your boat at the NEC this year?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 03:40:01 PM »
I have a dirt bike itch that never got scratched. Im thinking about checking out that new 850GS.
That V4 Duke is hot...
You should remember that its peace of mind youre after and not just a fixed machine.
Robert Persig

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 04:24:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Zig Zag [+]
I have a dirt bike itch that never got scratched. Im thinking about checking out that new 850GS.
That V4 Duke is hot...

I saw on MCN that BMW is testing a new 850GS derived sport tourer... that might end up being a nice replacement for my S1000R *if* BMW builds it and doesn't price it out of the market.

Offline Zig Zag

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Black Storm
  • City / Town: Virginia
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 06:13:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by zombie [+]
I saw on MCN that BMW is testing a new 850GS derived sport tourer... that might end up being a nice replacement for my S1000R *if* BMW builds it and doesn't price it out of the market.

This is interesting- https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0281367EN/bmw-motorrad-concept-9cento-a-smart-all-rounder-for-the-road?language=en

When it comes to smaller sport touring I think I might consider the Yamaha MT 09.  :084:
You should remember that its peace of mind youre after and not just a fixed machine.
Robert Persig

Offline nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 12:03:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Zig Zag [+]
This is interesting- https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0281367EN/bmw-motorrad-concept-9cento-a-smart-all-rounder-for-the-road?language=en

When it comes to smaller sport touring I think I might consider the Yamaha MT 09.  :084:

That does look cool  - the MT09 though - a riding friend has the standard MT09 and it's a peach (light, nimble, oodles of low power and acceleration up to 100) - the MT09 Tracer is held in high regard too. 

Offline Airsafari87

• S1000R Pro
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 04:24:35 PM »
We went on the opening day and I was surprised to see it as quiet as it was.
I've always avoided opening day previously as I assumed that it would be a total bun fight.

However ...

The new S1000RR is very close to the top of my list.

Tuono is also battling hard for my attention and is level pegging with the S1000RR at the moment. Test rides of both will decide the clear winner. Luckily I have dealers for both very close to me.

I have to say that overall the CCM stand was the stand out manufacturers stand for me and I was hugely impressed by their offerings. While I had always dismissed their new offerings as style over substance bikes for the plaid shirt, Bell Bullet helmet artisan hummus brigade, I was actually  blown away by their full range and will be looking in to one of these for a 3rd bike for myself / 1st 'big' bike for when my Mrs gains her full licence.

Other stand out mentions must go to Cabellero and their Scrambler type bikes. I have zero knowledge of the company or the machines they produce, but I was quite impressed by their Scrambler range and again, would consider one as a commuter / mess about bike depending on their pricing structure.

I had a good long chat with the UK importer of Zero (electric) bikes too. Again he is pretty local to me so I am arranging for a test ride on a couple of their bikes. Again it will be a 2nd/3rd bike for commuting bit I am genuinely excited about getting to try one out.

Bike of the show for me though? The new Honda Supercub all 3 of us (me, my Mrs and my 16 year old son) all want one each!!

Online windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 06:58:11 PM »
^ Did you see the new rsv4? It now has the tuono engine but up-tuned to 214 or something horsepower.
If so, how did it compare to the new s1000rr in your eyes and thoughts?

I ask since you are comparing the tuono and the s1000r and I've been considering adding some sort of sport bikey thing.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 06:59:31 PM by windyrun »

Offline Airsafari87

• S1000R Pro
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 07:42:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by windyrun [+]
^ Did you see the new rsv4? It now has the tuono engine but up-tuned to 214 or something horsepower.
If so, how did it compare to the new s1000rr in your eyes and thoughts?

I ask since you are comparing the tuono and the s1000r and I've been considering adding some sort of sport bikey thing.

I did see the RSV4 and can't believe I left it off my post as it's another bike on my list to test ride.

Hands down it's a more beautiful bike than the S1000RR, the BMW for me though just has that little something that is really drawing me to it, I can't put my finger on it but it's there.

I forget which model designation it is now, but both the Aprillia and Ducati with the moto GP winglets on the front can f##k right off for me. The 'lesser' non winglet models are so much nicer looking.

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 08:05:18 PM »
The dumbest thing with the new RSV4 is the brake cooling ducts...  that is just ridiculous on a street legal bike, IMO.

Offline Cobroll

• S1000R Junior
  • City / Town: Abingdon
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 08:52:48 PM »
I really liked the KTM 790 adventure r, looks like it could be a good laugh and really comfortable

Recent Posts/Topics